Driver Hire

Decided after applying for endless jobs and hearing nothing my only option looks like registering with agencies and trying to get a step on the ladder that way.

Through searching different sites I had become aware of many of the main agencies so decided to register with them all, so far all the ones I have applied for have been great really welcoming etc except for driver hire, they refused to sign me up saying without experience was no point, i even said to them I would be willing to do some van work to perhaps get a foot in the door with a company and move on to class 2 but they said they have enough van drivers and basically ended the call.

Was really cheesed off and surprised with this, all it has made me do is lose confidence in calling agencies and companies, thinking that everyone might be that blunt with me, also as driver hire are one of UK main transport agencies you would think there customer service skills would be better!

DH are a franchised operation and each one has it’s own ‘rules’

Most DHs are very good at finding work for newbies from what I have read on this site

Probably the most honest response you’ll ever get,the rest are probably just being polite,at least you know where you stand.

yeah i know but i dont understand these companies thinking if everyone thinks like that eventually there will be 0 drivers as all the existing drivers will retire, surely someone has to help you somewhere along the line!?

Sorry to hear that they werent interested mate and like you say, if somebody doesnt give new drivers a chance eventually there will be no drivers!

I just want to say that my local branch of Driver Hire have been BRILLIANT and like Rog said, they are a franchised agency so not every branch has the same views of new drivers. Mine really look after me and I`m usually working 4 days a week

I find looking on Directgov.uk and searching driving in whatever county you live in gets alot of results, do searches by date

im surprised with dh edinburgh, they used me when i had just got my licences when i worked for dh fife,

granted i knew the dh fife lot before i started driver (used to be a drivers mate/van driver before i burgered off to uni so it wasnt hard for me to sign back up, anyway work was ok if a bit boring though one day they just stopped giving me work and didnt phone me for 8 months and i go tbored of phoning them every other week being told the same thing no work right now well phone you when something comes in

so i moved on

I get work from D.H.Dundee .from time to time. I think you should ask about going out as a second man on any 2 man jobs that crop up.

Little bit off topic but i was driving behind a iceland motor taday advertising for class 1&2 drivers…01506 number…was a new trailer aswell so not an old ad hopes this helps someone…

dodester:
Little bit off topic but i was driving behind a iceland motor taday advertising for class 1&2 drivers…01506 number…was a new trailer aswell so not an old ad hopes this helps someone…

aint they always looking for drivers though

cheers for the heads up gave them a call said they have been inendadted with applications and that the vacancy was for class 1 so taking no more now.

You will thank DH for being like that though, as after you lost an hour of your time going into each agency filling in loads of forms and doing tests, and then never hearing from them again, or getting the “sorry no work line”, you’ll thank DH for saving an hour of your life you will never get back!!

gogzy:

dodester:

aint they always looking for drivers though

dont know gogzy but just thought it might be worth a try for anyone looking…

edinburgh_newbie:
except for driver hire, they refused to sign me up saying without experience was no point, i even said to them I would be willing to do some van work to perhaps get a foot in the door with a company and move on to class 2 but they said they have enough van drivers and basically ended the call.

Was really cheesed off and surprised with this, all it has made me do is lose confidence in calling agencies and companies, thinking that everyone might be that blunt with me, also as driver hire are one of UK main transport agencies you would think there customer service skills would be better!

I had similar experience with Driver-Hire in Hull, not interested in signing me up even though I had my class-1 and was happy to start on 7.5t or even vans… Most of the other agencies were keen to get me signed up (probably just to get the numbers on their books though).
Guy at Driver-Hire also told me there was also no work in the area, etc etc. Made me feel like i was wasting my time and had no-chance of getting any work. Put me on a real downer, and I felt like I was making myself look an idiot touting around for work with no experience.
But guess what? WIthin 2weeks of that conversation with Driver-Hire, I was offered a chance to learn the ropes doing saturdays for a local haulier, and a few days after that I got a phone call asking me to go for an interview with another company for a full-time job!

Dont lose your confidence and motivation, if you keep pushing for work, something good will turn-up eventually :smiley:

If your looking for a job and you live in edinburgh, try here.

drivingjobs.co.uk/j_2419/hgv … -edinburgh

good firm to work for, i know I work for them,

Full training and a chance of european experience, they take on newbies too, they train you how to to do the job the way they want you to do it.

If your happy to be away for 3 weeks then 1 week at home and you want to be a european driver without the hassle send them your cv, it’s worth a try.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

Full training and a chance of european experience, they take on newbies too, they train you how to to do the job the way they want you to do it.

If your happy to be away for 3 weeks then 1 week at home and you want to be a european driver without the hassle send them your cv, it’s worth a try.

what they like to work for? im actually thinking about going for this, getting annoyed with agency work right now and the amount of screwing up they are doing to me and its coming out my pocket.

gogzy:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

what they like to work for? im actually thinking about going for this, getting annoyed with agency work right now and the amount of screwing up they are doing to me and its coming out my pocket.

They are quite good to work for, you will work for your money, but you can take home 2 grand plus for 3 weeks work. Some euro jobs pay that for 4 weeks. Give it a try, you.lll not know till you do.

Sorry to hear the response you got from your local DH we train for our local one, and they take our new passes and more importantly use them, we had a chap yesterday who had his licence back from DVLA had signed on agencys but had not done any work due to his full time job, he was made redundant and came to see me I called DH (who he was already signed on with) they sent him out that afternoon Cat C.

Keep trying buddy for every no you are getting closer to a yes.

Nothing but good things to say about DH Glasgow.

D H in belfast are great .6 months on the gritters oct-apr paid stand by every week made a few pound in the cold snap . Still trying to get class 1 work from them keep telling me to stay were i am . Drive class 2 full time a job is a job not many out there it pays the bills …Just keep calling you will get lucky :slight_smile:

Well DH Edinburgh wont even consider putting me forward for class 1 work and ive had my licence since 1992!!!
Ive driven bulkers, extendable flats running steel,taughtlinersto name a very few I can rope and sheet etc etc…BUT i haven’t driven HGVs for 2 years.
They wont look at putting you in for anything unless you can give references showing six months class 1 driving in the last 2 years.
I have offered to do a refresher course at my own expense if it would help but was told no, the most they will do is 7.5 T or maybe class 2.
I spent last week doing multidrop van work which also included 5 hours of breaking up boxes in a chuffing warehouse
Does anyone have any good agencies that they could recomend in the Edinburgh area as i regard myself as a professional class 1 driver
and didnt sit my test to squash boxes for a living. :frowning: