Driver given 42 points

on licence and fined £150 for each offence and he’s already heavy in debt

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-33378386

I see the point about not putting someone into further hardship by causing them to loose their job, but if he’s already in debt he will be paying the fines by having a few pounds per week deducted from his payslip, which is not much of a punishment really.

I think he should have got a good few hours of community payback for that many offences, since he deserves some degree of punishment rather than just being told not to do it again.

so that’s an extra £1050 that he has to find

Glen A9:
I see the point about not putting someone into further hardship by causing them to loose their job, but if he’s already in debt he will be paying the fines by having a few pounds per week deducted from his payslip, which is not much of a punishment really.

I think he should have got a good few hours of community payback for that many offences, since he deserves some degree of punishment rather than just being told not to do it again.

He should have thought of that earlier then.
It really ■■■■■■ me off when you get people about to lose a license they dont deserve to have bleating about the hardship they will face through not having it. If its going to cause you such hardship you should look after it a bit better.
There should be NO “mitigating circumstances”. 12 points and thats it. License removed. Get another 12 when you get it back and they burn it in front of you and ban you from getting another one.

Treble 14. Tough to hit under pressure.

Especially as a 134 finish gets you half an hour with the landlord’s wife.

If you are in show biz. just say that if you lose your license it would affect your charidee work.We should be alright as there are some great comidians on here.

The-Snowman:
He should have thought of that earlier then.

I agree that the guy is a idiot and doesn’t deserve a licence, but you need to consider what is the cost or benefit to society if he ends up with no job and potentially no home.
Worst case is he turns to further crime or substance abuse.

As I said the fine is a waste of time as he’ll barely notice a few quid taken from his pay and it will probably cost the course more to collect it than they get back.

But give him 200 hours community work and he will have to give up every Saturday for six months. That will to some people hurt more than the fine or even a short driving ban - and some pensioners get their gardens done or the local park has a path repaired.

With the average wage of a construction Manager in the south east paying between £250-£350 per DAY, then all I can say is that I agree with the above post regarding community service, the fine for him is probably peanuts.

Twoninety88:
With the average wage of a construction Manager in the south east paying between £250-£350 per DAY, then all I can say is that I agree with the above post regarding community service, the fine for him is probably peanuts.

Read on one of the linked sites earlier that he’ll be paying £50/ month so probably already on drink/ drugs/ gambling/ CSA.

Surprised that someone who has suffered a nervous breakdown is permitted to drive anyway.

There should be NO “mitigating circumstances”. 12 points and thats it.

Always have a little smile when I see such comments.
How about if you are on 10 points and your wife/child has a serious, potentially fatal mishap when no ambulance is available.
Do you drive them to the hospital complying with all limits or do you “go for it”?
. If the latter , do you still deserve a ban of caught,

del949:

How about if you are on 10 points and your wife/child has a serious, potentially fatal mishap when no ambulance is available.
Do you drive them to the hospital complying with all limits or do you “go for it”?

Don’t get any points and then you have 12 in the bank for real emergencies!

del949:

And I always have a smile when the “what if your child/wife has an emergency” examples get given when ever I say things like this.
And my answer is if someones already on 10 points then they should have thought of things like a potential family emergency when they were sitting on 6 points. And if its your second time looking at a ban then yes you do deserve it.

In honesty Snowman, are you saying that should you ever be in that position you would drive to the posted speed limits…regardless of how many points you already had.
Another example, suppose you are driving a 6 axle artic and the tyres have a fault that doesn’t show up on your daily check,inner wall perhaps, you would possibly collect more than 12 points in total, again I ask, “no exceptions”?
Surely every case needs to be decided on its own merits, thats why we have law courts.
One size rules do not always work.
The sugestions above re community work make far more sense than fines that will hev virtually no effect.

TBH speed LIMITS are there for a reason not just to ■■■■ everyone off.

I total agree with snowman.

del949:
In honesty Snowman, are you saying that should you ever be in that position you would drive to the posted speed limits…regardless of how many points you already had.

I would never get myself as high as 10 points in the first place. I need my license for work. I dont risk it.

del949:
Another example, suppose you are driving a 6 axle artic and the tyres have a fault that doesn’t show up on your daily check,inner wall perhaps, you would possibly collect more than 12 points in total, again I ask, “no exceptions”?
Surely every case needs to be decided on its own merits, thats why we have law courts.
One size rules do not always work.
The sugestions above re community work make far more sense than fines that will hev virtually no effect.

Look im not getting into a great big long drawn out debate. I dont want to fall out with anyone (maybe im getting old! :laughing: ) You’l never change my mind re my stance just as I’ll never change yours.
Both our views are equally valid but I dont think we’ll ever agree. But if it makes you feel any better,it appears the law makers agree with you since mr 42 points still has a license :smiley: (incidently I dont believe for a minute all those 42 points were for “family emergencies”)
In my mind 12 points is more than enough to give you lee way and margin for error. If your already on ten points then you should have considered the possibility of a family emergency when you get given the points to take you to six and not speed,use phone,drive with bald tyres etc. If you get another 3 then so be it
I have 3 for use of a mobile phone. VERY unfair as car was stationary at lights and all I did was move it from my dashboard to the centre console but I couldnt afford to fight it. If I were to get another 3 points the company I work for does not allow 6 points for the same offence so im out of a job. So what do I do? Dont risk anymore and leave my phone in the boot or in the back seat.

The Snowman is right, all this “what if” stuff is a load of crap. He knew what he was doing, why should he be allowed to blatantly break the law and get away with it.
I need my licence for my job so I am careful to keep it clean and on the odd time I have picked up three points I’ve done my best to get them off. There is no reason he couldn’t have done the same.

knight2:
The Snowman is right, all this “what if” stuff is a load of crap. He knew what he was doing, why should he be allowed to blatantly break the law and get away with it.
I need my licence for my job so I am careful to keep it clean and on the odd time I have picked up three points I’ve done my best to get them off. There is no reason he couldn’t have done the same.

Ditto!

I have 3 for use of a mobile phone. VERY unfair as car was stationary at lights and all I did was move it from my dashboard to the centre console but I couldnt afford to fight it.

so you do believe there are exceptions to the law, the fact that you couldn’t afford to fight it is irrelevant, you believed you had a valid excuse for breaking the law.

Driving at 109mph in a 50mph area should be an instant ban.

Caught six times driving at 32mph in a 20mph zone shows shear contempt for the law.

He should have been banned and made to retake a test before getting his licence back.

Be grateful you get 12 points, not moan and winge when you’ve used them!

del949:

I have 3 for use of a mobile phone. VERY unfair as car was stationary at lights and all I did was move it from my dashboard to the centre console but I couldnt afford to fight it.

so you do believe there are exceptions to the law, the fact that you couldn’t afford to fight it is irrelevant, you believed you had a valid excuse for breaking the law.

Your like a dog with a bone.
No I dont believe there should be exceptions. I got a ticket for “using a hand held device”. I wanted to fight it because I wasnt actually using the phone. I had just exited a car park and noticed it was on the dash. I was stopped at lights,in neutral with the hand brake on. It was worded in court as “driver APPEARED to be texting”. THATS why I wanted to fight it but I couldnt afford a lawyer. I didnt,and still dont,believe I broke the law.
But my point remains that I now have them so I always put my phone out of reach so nothing like that can happen again. What im NOT doing is racking up 12 points by making the same mistakes/sticking fingers up to the law then bleating about hardship if I lose my license.