driver gassed

bear with me on this one

just got back from collecting 1 of our drivers from calais today. he was gassed while parked at arcelor whilst parked overnight empty waiting to load. he had a “gas alarm” in his cab.

what the hell do they use to totally disable and knockout a 18 stone bloke ?. they stole basically the contents of his cab. and our insurance people have asked what we think they used ■■. he cooked in the cab and the driver parked next to him was hit also. so no chance of being spiked.
the annoying part is he was parked inside a company. however no fences etc just a parking area whilst waiting to load.

anybody with any ideas on what would have been used that is on the open market ■■. as lets face it if it was “transient people” where would they get access to labs etc to manufacture such things. i respect the fact that a clear answer would not be wise to be put on these forums so a pm would be gratefull.

thanks brian

is the drive ok tho brian thats the main thing, dont know what they use but what can you do?? to prevent this god knows

cheers mate. yes he is ok. but throbbing behind his eyes and a thick head. he cant remember anything after getting his head down for a 4am loading.
just come off phone to insurance mob. still insisting on know what was used.

strange eh. replacement driver couldnt smell anything unusual in the cab and the “condoms” as per normal not interested. had to hassle them for a report to an extent they threatned to arrest me for raising my voice to them. merde that they are. lol

I’m not saying that your guy would do this but have you considered the possibility that the driver has spent all the money and then claimed he was gassed.

We had 1 driver who tried this on 3 times :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Once yeah Ok , twice …maybe .but 3 times!!!

unless he did it with the guy next door also. no. also where has he put all his stuff passport etc. accept your comment in good faith and not a slur.

r slicker:
bear with me on this one

just got back from collecting 1 of our drivers from calais today. he was gassed while parked at arcelor whilst parked overnight empty waiting to load. he had a “gas alarm” in his cab.

Did the gas alarm not go off?

fit them ptotekdor things then they won’t be able to open the doors.

hi harry. would assume so but as the driver said in his words

dead to the world

whatever it was it certainly knocked him out quick and clean thats all he could say.

we tested the alarm with easy start 1 hour ago and it bleeped away quite happy.

very strange whatever they used it was very quick.

I realise this may be contentious, but it is generally considered among Chemists that knockout gas doesn’t exist.

Thank you for your enquiry. I would like to inform you that you are not the first enquirer with this question. Professor Hatch, our Clinical Advisor, has given the following previous comments:

"I can give you a categorical assurance that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious with ether without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect of the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a rag, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day.

There are much more powerful agents around now, some of which are almost odourless. However, these would be unlikely to be able to achieve the effect you describe, and the cost would be huge enough to deter any thief unless he was after the crown jewels. The only practicable agent is probably the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege - I advised the BBC on their programme about this. The general feeling is that they used an agent which is not available outside the KGB!

Finally, unsupervised anaesthesia, which is what we are really talking about is very dangerous. In the Moscow siege about 20% of victims died from asphyxia, because their airways were unprotected. If the reports you talk about are true I would have expected a significant number of deaths or cases of serious brain damage to have been reported."

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Ms Shirani Nadarajah
General Administrator

Professional Standards Directorate
The Royal College of Anaesthetists""

Amongst motohomers it is now pretty well accepted that “gas attacks” are an urban myth. Short of sticking a blooming great pipe from someones exhaust into the cab and opening the throttle it’s pretty much impossible.

It may be too late now but a blood test might reveal what was used. I know the recommendation from people like Eurowatch has been to get a blood test ASAP after a suspected gas attack.

It used to be said that Easy-Start was used (it is Ether), and that asylum-seekers were to blame but this was simply a marriage of reality and myth.

Many gases can cause unconciousness- Hydrogen Cyanide, Halogen derivatives etc, but I don’t know of any gas which could be relied on to render so many drivers unconscious without ever causing a fatality.

From my own observations, gas attacks generally seem to occur to those who enjoy playing the Cops ‘n’ Robbers fruit machine for the duration of the Dover-Calais crossing, who enjoy the paid-for company of young ladies and who enjoy a tipple or six.

Not that I’m implying anything of course. :wink:

This has been done before and may make interesting reading for the newcomers.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ht=gassing

I shall not comment yet as it seems to cause a distinct split in the forums. :unamused:

Very good Harry. I’d say most reports of the driver saying he was gassed are BS.

Obviously the people on here saying its bs and virtually impossible have never actually had it done to them. It happened to me in belgium about 6 years ago i lost my wallet, phones, fuel cards, laptop, tv and never heard a thing. I woke in the morning with what felt like the biggest hangover ever most gangs who use this method use nitrous oxide (laughing gas) the stuff dentist used to use when you were a kid. Maybe a lot of people do bs about being gassed but if you have had it done to yourself it is not a laughing matter nor is it bs or virtually impossible or an urban myth

globby 480:
is the drive ok tho brian thats the main thing, dont know what they use but what can you do?? to prevent this god knows

Normally the gas is put into your wagon via the night heater outlet. what i have done ever since is slept on the top bunk with sunroof slightly open in all seasons. Nitrous oxide is lighter than air so my train of thought is it would rise up through the cab and out sunroof though im not an expert

This doesn’t sit right with me.
To gas somebody with Ether would we are told take a shed load of the stuff & leave a distinct smell for ages (& I expect would more than likely blow the cab to smithereens.), Nitrous Oxide, again would need tonnes of the stuff. Both would seem a very expensive & difficult methods to break in a truck to nick a couple of £100 of gear.
Mayne I could accept somebody may have tampered with a night heater so it gave off excess Carbon monoxide, but I dont even know if this is possible. All three methods are highly unreliable, slow, & risk a murder charge, as each gas is high risk.
If petty thieves were just after the driver’s wallet & DVD player, they would be more likley to jump on him as he approached the cab. Knock him over, grab & scarper. I would have thought the gas & equipment used in trying to render a driver unconscious would cost more than the robbery would net them
On the other hand more serious criminals who are after the entire truck (& therefore have the connections & resources to dispose of it), are more likely to shove a shooter in the driver’s face & shove him the boot of a car for a few hours why they do the have to do.
Having said all this I could see a criminal slipping some Rhoipnol or other sedative into a driver’s drink/ food.

Having said all this I could see a criminal slipping some Rohipnol or other sedative into a driver’s drink/ food.

This is a lot more probable, I always slept with the roof vent open, rain, shine, snow, whatever the weather and wherever I was, even in Sweden during the winter, I was not paranoid about gassing but I was always aware of the possibility, you hear so many stories on the road and it does get you thinking.

Having said that does anyone remember a company that used to run Sprinters called Balkans Transport or something like that, at one time there were always 3 or 4 on the boat whenever you went and the vans were always covered in stickers, anyway I was talking to one of their drivers on the boat one day and he told me that one of their drivers always slept in an ex-army gas mask, I laughed so much, it kept me going for days but he swore it was true. LOL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I worked with animals for many years and my old vet, a 93 year old veteran once Chloroformed me when we were clearing out the surgery.

The drivers eyes were throbbing and from experience I know this is condusive with Chloroform. It’s a realatively easy and inexpensive compound to manufacture and I presume it could be administered through an air inlet.

Just my thoughts anyway.
Paul.

I suppose it depends what you mean by “relatively” easy. To make Chloroform, you have to heat chlorine and methane or chloromethane to between 400 and 500 degrees Celsius. Methane is highly explosive at the best of times. Chlorine is highly poisonous.

If I made some with malicious intent, I would want to steal a bit more than a mobile phone and a laptop or a few credit cards.