Driver dies in freak accident

A lorry driver died today in Flintshire…

He was one of Bougheys drivers, he was on the back of his trailer removing a strap from a stack of pallets, while standing on a small stack of 5 pallets. Seems he either slipped and fell or had an heart attck or something similar, landed on his head (He was apx 20 stone) Was pronounced dead at scene…

Bit of hoo ha over this one as his body was left lying in the yard for 5 hours with just a blanket over his head, none of the staff allowed home…

Be careful out there.

one of our lads was saying theother week he went in the back of the fridge to strap a load, was just stapping it when wind caught door and it slammed shut[ he hadnt botherd to strap it back], he was then plunged into total darkness [ hadnt bothered to switch light on], he finally managed to get to back door but couldnt push it open, he finally managed to kick it open.yes you do need to be carefull, think what your doing.
also always take yourMOBILE with you,being able to make that phone call may save your life. r.i.p to the driver

Sometimes I wonder what the average life expectancy is in this job. My sympathies to the family concerned.

When walking on the bed my truck i always wear my hard hat, not many do but i also have the chin ■■■■■■■■ because you never know, the other week i missed my footing and fell off the side on hard concrete, luckily the only damage was my pride…

Years ago when i worked at the Tesco RDC in knights road, Strood, an old driver making a delivery had a heart attack while moving pallets in the back of his trailer, pallet rolled back and crushed him :frowning:

There is a thought that the driver today had a heart attack or maybe an embolism, witness said he saw him fall, but the driver did not put his arms out to protect his fall, plus his weight was a factor as well, landing head first with 20 stone behind it is not going to be good…

In the ten minutes before the ambulance arrived he bled profrously from mouth, ears, eyes and head would, nothing anybody could have done…

Warren T. Claim:
Sometimes I wonder what the average life expectancy is in this job. My sympathies to the family concerned.

Its a sad fact that in the 25+ years i was driving I went to more funerals/memorial ■■■■ ups for drivers than I did to retirement do’s.

Its a job that takes it toll on health and (to stereotype here a little) drivers are not known to take care of themselves or deal with health issues, Long hours, a stressful enviroment and in the case of long distance drivers a lack of exercise all add up over the years.

Theres only one person that can take of you, and thats yourself, ignoring that twinge, or ache as you get home Friday and the doctor only does emergency appointments on a Saturday is only going to lead to problems. Ignoring problems wont make them go away Look after yourself, no job is worth dying for.

I dont know the circumstances in this particular tragic event and I send my thoughts to the family. and to everyone else out there, Take time for yourselves , dont be a big man/woman and soldier through, if you have any concerns take a day off and get checked out,

You are more important that a load of bog rolls. baked beans, Bricks, steel beams or whatever you deliver and the world will not stop turning if you take a day out of delivering them to ensure your well being

well said rikki

Coddy:

He was one of Bougheys drivers, he was on the back of his trailer removing a strap from a stack of pallets, while standing on a small stack of 5 pallets. Seems he either slipped and fell or had an heart attck or something similar, landed on his head (He was apx 20 stone) Was pronounced dead at scene…

Bit of hoo ha over this one as his body was left lying in the yard for 5 hours with just a blanket over his head, none of the staff allowed home…

Be careful out there.

That driver is a close personal friend & work colleague of mine. He leaves three kids (in there 20’s) & one grandchild. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

paulfromwire:

Coddy:

Be careful out there.

That driver is a close personal friend & work colleague of mine. He leaves three kids (in there 20’s) & one grandchild. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

there are a couple of bougheys drivers on these forums.

RIP TO THE DRIVER.

Bit off topic to the original post but one of the lads from Woodsides was found dead last week. He finished his night shift on Sat. morning and was talking to another driver in asda who says he looked as fit as a fiddle.
On Sunday afternoon ( I think thats correct) his daughter went home to find him dead on the kitchen floor :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Mick was only in his mid 40’s and probably weighed about 10 stone wet through. You just don’t know what’s going on on the inside.

Could it be our lifestyle :question: :question:

R.I.P. Mick

also

R.I.P. to the Bougheys driver

May I just point out that landing on your head from the back of a truck whether 10 stone or 20 is probably going to kill you or leave you paralyzed.

RIP the poor sod.

Blunder Man:
May I just point out that landing on your head from the back of a truck whether 10 stone or 20 is probably going to kill you or leave you paralyzed.

RIP the poor sod.

Or if you’re an extemely lucky person, like me, you will walk and work again eventually.

Condolences to the Drivers family, and thoughts and hugs to Paul and Gaz.

Kate

Sometimes I wonder whether it is worth doing this job long term. Is it more important to have money for your kids now or at least live long enough to see them grow up? I really don’t want my son to bury me in 10 years time when he will only be 12. It was bad enough being a taxi driver and going to plenty of funerals for men under 55. Truckstops and MSA’s should have a more healthy meal alternatives not to mention gym equipment available for a small charge. Employers should look at the long term health issues of their staff because it cannot be productive having staff ill or worse.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys.

Chris was a cracking fella. I knew him before my time at Bougheys at a previous employer, Chris went driving in Denmark for a while but was in UK every Thursday & we kept in touch weekly. He came back over here & started with Boughey shortly after his return. Had many a good night out with him in & outside work.

RIP Chris :cry:

I can only send my condolences to the Boughy driver and his family and friends (paulfromwire) and to ‘woody 2008’ whose colleague passed away so suddenly. This industry is well known for being able to burn people out very quickly but recently thanks to the internet and forums like this we are able to learn about this kind of incident almost immediatly so that respects can be paid to that colleague at the earliest opportunity.

A lot of us have made long lasting friendships with other driver’s who we might have only met up with weekly, monthly or even yearly :open_mouth: and that doesn’t have to be in the UK but could be at some far flung corner of the EU or the M/E and low and behold we meet up again through the power of TNUK and the internet.

I did not know the chaps who have so tragically lost their live’s but it’s clear that they were known by other forum member’s so once again my condolences to everyone involved in these tragic incidents :frowning: :frowning: very sad for all. :frowning: :frowning:

Regards
Dave Penn;

Just to add my condolancies to family and friends of the poor deceased driver.

I heard from a fella from the company who i work for that the driver fell off the pallets cracked his head then fell of the trailer and broke his neck and died instantly.

It does highlight the dangers in our job but there again you could fall downstairs at home and die instantly.

R.I.P driver

K.Adams:
I heard from a fella from the company who i work for that the driver fell off the pallets cracked his head then fell of the trailer and broke his neck and died instantly.

It does highlight the dangers in our job but there again you could fall downstairs at home and die instantly.

R.I.P driver

Heresay…

There has not been a coroners report on this yet, so no one knows.

What I will say it that a lot of blood was pumped, hence it was not an instantaneous death, loss of blood among poss other things was a contributing factor.

K.Adams:

R.I.P driver

Thats very true when your time is up its up in my opinion, that said, condolences to the drivers family :frowning:

From the Warrington Guardian website.

Woolston man killed in North Wales factory

10:28am Wednesday 12th August 2009

comment Comments (1) Have your say »
By Nicola Davies »

A WOOLSTON man has been killed while working at a factory in North Wales.

Christopher Beard, aged 52, of Dam Lane, died after an incident at the Nice-Pak factory in Flint on Thursday.

Police and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are investigating his death, which is understood to be not suspicious.

A spokesman for North Wales Police said: “On Thursday, August 6, North Wales Police were informed of the death of a 52-year-old man at an industrial unit on Aber Road, Flint.

“Police attended and the man was pronounced dead at the scene. The death is not being treated as suspicious.

“North Wales Police together with the HSE are investigating the death on behalf of the coroner.”

North east Wales coroner John Hughes said an inquest has been opened and the provisional cause of death is blunt head trauma.