Driver debriefs - how intense are they?

As mentioned in another post, I am thinking of returning to driving and currently planning to reinstate my hgv/psv and sort out dcpc, basically to improve my job prospects.

I am aware of cab phones and trackers on many vehicles nowadays, but one thing I often see mentioned is ‘driver debriefs’. Had a quick shuftie online and found a detailed pdf booklet that talked about strategies and other corporate bumph. :unamused:

Question - are driver debriefs really as intense as that booklet suggested. Do traffic offices actually interrogate every element of your journey and dictate where you park (not just overnights) and even question small deviations from the route.

I am ‘old skool’, where the traffic office was closed after 6pm and just asked if you were ok if you managed to get back before then. You would either have loaded up locally and got back in the yard about 7-8pm, or there would be a note in the drivers room, telling you were to pick up in the morning. ‘Proper’ drivers debriefs are an unknown quantity to me, hence the question?

Who thinks this crap up. We drive from a-b not on missions behind enemy lines.

LIBERTY_GUY:
Question - are driver debriefs really as intense as that booklet suggested. Do traffic offices actually interrogate every element of your journey and dictate where you park (not just overnights) and even question small deviations from the route.

Depends on the company, most companies I’ve driven for the debrief consists of a transport office person signing your run/check sheet and asking “any problems ?” :smiley:

Another waste of time when you have spent 12 hours delivering and you are cream crackered.K and N off you go to the office, “why were you late here?, traffic” you reply, repeat for each drop, despite they already know why you were late because they are constantly asking why you are late, via the phone.

I pop in the office, say goodbye and clock off.

"I was constantly being interrupted by telephone calls asking where I was.

“I think the person making them must need some extra training, as he clearly can’t use the tracking system.”

You sit in a small dark room where a bright light is shone in your face 2 people will be in the room beside from yourself, one will be very large and menacing and silent the other will be very aggressive and will chain smoke and if it’s found you have stopped for more than 2.1 minutes or deviated from your route you will be placed in a cell and a fire house will be directed at you until you promise to behave.

Or you may just hand your notes to a clerk they ask you if everything went OK if there were any delays and the reason for the delays, if it’s the end of your shift you book off if your planned for a second run go see the pre brief clerk and off you go.

The debrief is part of the iso trak system, the vehicles and trailers being tracked by G.P.S when you have a very busy operation you need to know where everything and everyone is, it’s nothing to worry about most large hauliers have similar systems the only drivers who don’t like the system are usually the lazy ones who like to hide and get paid for doing nothing.

First I’ve ever heard of a driver debrief. Never had one driving class two or now in the van. I can go days without hearing off the office as my whole weeks plans are sent to me on a Sunday night via email.

Its mainly supermarkets who de-brief, it just involves dropping your trousers, and taking off you underpants for the office staff to have a whiff :laughing:

leslie g heath:
Another waste of time when you have spent 12 hours delivering and you are cream crackered.K and N off you go to the office, “why were you late here?, traffic” you reply, repeat for each drop, despite they already know why you were late because they are constantly asking why you are late, via the phone.

This !
It’s pathetic isn’t it ? I did some work a while ago for Sainsbury’s on the agency.
Some jumped up little snotty nosed oik in the office,who has never driven a lorry before pulled me up a few times.
Why were you 2 minutes late getting out of the yard ?
Why are you 3 minutes late coming to the office ( from dieseling up unit/trailer ) dropping trailer & parking up unit ? I thought he was just being friendly and having a laugh,no chance,the ■■■ was being dead serious ! :unamused:
What can you say to a blank faced cretin,treating people like kids ? Shove it ! I never went back…

Tosco ones consist of - dump paperwork on the desk (because they are short staffed), download card, clock out and eff off out of the dump :laughing: :laughing:

maga:
First I’ve ever heard of a driver debrief. Never had one driving class two or now in the van. I can go days without hearing off the office as my whole weeks plans are sent to me on a Sunday night via email.

The new APC hub in Cannock is one outfit that has them, also Argos over at Acton Gate. :confused:

Our debrief consists of a form you fill in daily highlighting any issues encountered on your shift . 9 times out of 10 no one takes the slightest interest .

Debrief at work is back the yard hand the paperwork to security after fuelling up dropping trailer etc go into the empty office download your own card clock out are clear off :smiley: works for me :laughing:

As you can see some companies do this debrief thing. The most involved I’ve ever been in a debrief is ticking a box on the paperwork marked : Debrief Completed. Y/ N.

Thanks for your input again guys. It really helps a potential returner like myself to anticipate what’s changed out there and to be careful about what roles I apply for. :sunglasses:

LIBERTY_GUY:
‘…Question - are driver debriefs really as intense as that booklet suggested. Do traffic offices actually interrogate every element …?’

Nah … I’ve found that they’re simply covering their profit prioritised botties by providing an opportunity to sing about suspect transgressions that may have occurred - thus giving them the maximum time to prepare a disciplinary ‘listening-to’ for you :wink:

The rest gets ignored since - other than driver colleagues filling-in due to their poor fitness to drive or with an ambition to ‘move-up’ (ha!), professional office dwellers and the hierarchy above them frequently haven’t a clue (or the time to be be arsed to learn) what you’re on about.

:unamused:

tachograph:

LIBERTY_GUY:

Depends on the company, most companies I’ve driven for the debrief consists of a transport office person signing your run/check sheet and asking “any problems ?” :smiley:

+1

One thing hasnt changed ,thats the zb wages.I was on a good bung 15 years ago,£7.50 per hour and a few bottles of wine when the gaffer was in a good mood.

G6Bob:

tachograph:

LIBERTY_GUY:

+1

+2

regular company has running sheet, vehicle check sheet and isotrack. Any defects I put on the weekly vehicle sheet (just a kind of start/end tick list) I put a number next to the defect ‘X’ and make a note on the back, I then fill in the book then ■■■■ off home.

Thing I find helps is if you’re held up or diverted then phone them and let them know that way if you’re not back before your unit was due to go out again then they have time to sort out another one, and can either hold back the driver waiting for your freight or make other arrangements.

Planners are paid to plan, they can’t do their job if they don’t know WTF is going on out on the road. Similarly vehicles can’t get sorted if drivers don’t report the defect, yes its a PITA filling in the book at the end of a long shift but we all want a functioning/legal vehicle for the next run.