DRIVER CPC - The 2 types - A very simple basic overview

This is a very simple explanation for the two types of DRIVER CPC.

There are TWO types of DRIVER CPC.

The INITIAL (to get a C1 or C licence) & the PERIODIC (ongoing) for when you have the C1, C or C+E licence

The INITIAL driver cpc is purely for a C1 or C licence acquisition and is about the same as what is done now but with some senario questions added as an extra theory test and a half hour extra of questions about certain areas of safety which may include physically showing the examiner how to strap, chain, rope a load etc

The PERIODIC driver cpc is to be (unless they change it) an ATTENDANCE of 35 hours of training at an approved centre or with an approved trainer. It needs renewing every 5 years and can be done in 5 x 7 hour sessions, which can be spread over the 5 year period.
The 7 hour sessions can be split into 2 half consecutive days.( 2 x 3.5 hours)

If you have a C1, C or C+E licence on 10 Sept 2009 then the 35 hours will need to be done by 10 Sept 2014 to retain your right to drive for HIRE or REWARD (getting paid to drive LGVs for a living).
Please note: - This does NOT affect your right to retain your LGV licence.

Those that pass the INITIAL driver cpc after Sept 10 2009 will have to do their PERIODIC driver cpc within 5 years from their pass date - the 5 year expiry date should be on the issued DRIVER CPC QUALIFICATION CARD (DQC).

The medical requirements will not change.

The upgrading to a C+E licence will not change from what it is now.

I Hope that I have managed to make things a little clearer.

The DRIVER CPC is not the same as other CPCs

Link to IDCPC - Initial Driver Certificate of Professional Competence

Link to The Periodic (ongoing) Driver C.P.C. (PDCPC)

ROG:
The PERIODIC driver cpc is to be (unless they change it) an ATTENDANCE of 35 hours of training at an approved centre or with an approved trainer and can be done in 5 x 7 hour sessions - the 7 hour sessions can be split into 2 half consecutive days.

I think you may want to clarify that bit ROG, if you mean the 35 hours can be split into two and half consecutive days, that would mean two 14 hour days and one 7 hour day, plus breaks :confused:, I’m not aware of any regulation that stipulates a given time limit other than the five years in which you should complete the 35 hours training in at least 7 hour sessions.

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying but either I’m missing something or that bits not too clear :wink:

Also it may be worth mentioning that the Driver CPC begins on September 10th 2009 for drivers of goods vehicles, it’s September 2008 for PSV vehicles (already started in fact)

Rog wrote:-

The PERIODIC driver cpc is to be (unless they change it) an ATTENDANCE of 35 hours of training at an approved centre or with an approved trainer and can be done in 5 x 7 hour sessions - the 7 hour sessions can be split into 2 half consecutive days.

I do not know what it will cover or consist of because the DSA etc have not finalised it yet

Many organisations will be getting courses approved. These courses are to be approved by JAUPT (Joint Approvals UNit for Periodic Training) on behalf of the DSA. (I was told that at present there is only one person employed to approve courses, so there would not be much difficulty in getting the approval!)

I believe the Red Cross are to have a first aid course approved, which would cover at least one period of 7 hours.

Training centres and courses have to be approved at a cost of £1500 for centre approval which lasts for 5 years, and course approval at a cost of £36 per hour for one year, i.e., £252 for a 7 hour course approval which has to be re-approved annually. (Nice little earner!)

There will be fees to upload evidence of attendance of a driver to the DSA database at a cost of £1.25 per hours attendance. When evidence of 35 hours have been uploaded, the DSA will issue automatically a DQC (Driver Qualification Card).

There is no pass/fail element to courses, they are attendance only and whilst the idea is to provide courses to suit the needs of drivers, there is no reason why a driver cannot attend the same 7 hour course every year!

At present there doesn’t appear to be anyone giving any idea of price of course. That will no doubt depend on the numbers of drivers that attend.

From what I understand, the DSA and JAUPT are implementing the EU Directive in as simple and easy a way as possible. Time will tell what effect Driver CPC will have on us.

Smart Mart:
there is no reason why a driver cannot attend the same 7 hour course every year!

Given the extent of the EU required subject matter for the periodic training I’m not sure that’s correct, if we in the UK are allowed to do the same 7 hour course five times I imagine the EU bureaucrats would soon put a stop to it :wink:

tachograph:

ROG:

I think you may want to clarify that bit ROG, if you mean the 35 hours can be split into two and half consecutive days, that would mean two 14 hour days and one 7 hour day, plus breaks :confused:, I’m not aware of any regulation that stipulates a given time limit other than the five years in which you should complete the 35 hours training in at least 7 hour sessions.

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying but either I’m missing something or that bits not too clear :wink:

Also it may be worth mentioning that the Driver CPC begins on September 10th 2009 for drivers of goods vehicles, it’s September 2008 for PSV vehicles (already started in fact)

Added .( 2 x 3.5 hours) to the post - TA :slight_smile:

tachograph wrote:-

Given the extent of the EU required subject matter for the periodic training I’m not sure that’s correct, if we in the UK are allowed to do the same 7 hour course five times I imagine the EU bureaucrats would soon put a stop to it

Nowhere have I seen or heard of the EU required subject matter. Do you have information that I don’t - please share it.

I’m sure you might be right about putting a stop to it, but the fact remains that from all the information I have, at present there is no reason why you can’t.

Also as I understand it each member state is resposible for the interpretation and implementation of the directive, and I only share information that I have been given by the DSA, and my own research.

tachograph:

ROG:

Not sure about this one mate. :frowning:

It might mean that the seven hours attendance doesn’t necessarily have to be achieved in one stretch on one day, and that ROG knows that it’s possible to split a day’s training into an afternoon on one day followed by the morning of the day following. :confused: Maybe :confused: (I haven’t looked that deeply into it.)

If that’s true, it might help some firms to plan driver CPC training days, but I’d guess that most firms would prefer to lose a driver for one calendar day, rather than split it up. Just a thought.:grimacing:

Smart Mart:
Nowhere have I seen or heard of the EU required subject matter. Do you have information that I don’t - please share it.

ANEX 1

Can a 7 hour session be split over two days then ?

Have to admit it probably would make sense :smiley:

tachograph:
Can a 7 hour session be split over two days then ?

Have to admit it probably would make sense :smiley:

yes - recently agreed - it is on the skillsforlogistics site somewhere but I cannot bothered to find it :unamused:

dieseldave:
It might mean that the seven hours attendance doesn’t necessarily have to be achieved in one stretch on one day, and that ROG knows that it’s possible to split a day’s training into an afternoon on one day followed by the morning of the day following. :confused: Maybe :confused: (I haven’t looked that deeply into it.)

If that’s true, it might help some firms to plan driver CPC training days, but I’d guess that most firms would prefer to lose a driver for one calendar day, rather than split it up. Just a thought.:grimacing:

or a driver does an 8 hour day and then does 3.5 hours of the training for example :question: :question: - nice rest on a nice sticky plastic chair after being in that nice comfy driver seat :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing:

Just had a little eyeball meself at this Rog, and this is what i read,

New interpretation on the rules for splitting a 7 hour course
There has recently been a slight relaxation in the rule concerning the splitting of a 7 hours course. A course can be split into two roughly equal parts providing the second part starts within 24 hours of the first part finishing. This means a 7 hour course could be delivered on two consecutive mornings or two consecutive afternoons.

Here’s the link for that

skillsforlogistics.org/en/jaupt/jaupt/news/

Thanks for that link tachograph.

Having read the directive, I find slight differences between it and the Guide to periodic training version 3 April 2008 produced by JAUPT

Wherein the EU directive says:-

MINIMUM QUALIFICATION AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS

Section 1: List of subjects

The knowledge to be taken into account by Member States when establishing the driver’s initial qualification and periodic training must include at least the subjects in this list. Trainee drivers must reach the level of knowledge and practical competence necessary to drive in all safety vehicles of the relevant licence category.

JAUPT say:-

The knowledge to be taken into account by Member States when establishing the driver’s initial qualification and periodic training must include some of the subjects in this list. Trainee drivers must reach the level of knowledge and practical competence necessary to drive in all safety vehicles of the relevant licence category.

Which leads me to beleive that the scope is wide open. Indeed when registering a course with JAUPT, there are only 3 main headings:-

1. Advanced training in rational driving based on safety regulations.
  2. Application of regulations.
  3. Health, road and environmental safety, service, logistics.

Using the ‘some of’ the subjects in the list I therefore conclude that we have watered down the EU directive somewhat, and can devise courses in what ever we wished as long as there is some small part that covers something of the interpretation of the EU directive.

it will be very interesting to see what courses are approved.

Does the CPC qulification expire every 5 years, meaning we have to re-sit continually til retirement :question:

The periodic training continues as long as you want to drive for a living. As long as you complete 35 hours of training during each five year period then you maintain Driver CPC.

If you hold CPC National or International does that exempt you from the drivers CPC ?
Brian

If you hold CPC National or International does that exempt you from the drivers CPC ?

No - its a completely different thing.

Smart Mart:

I do wish they had not called this a CPC but chosen something else less confusing.

ROG:

Smart Mart:

I do wish they had not called this a CPC but chosen something else less confusing.

I agree, it should have been called “Professional Driver Tax” or the chancellors piggy bank :unamused: