DRIVER CPC - The 2 types - A very simple basic overview

tachograph:

ROG:

Smart Mart:

If you hold CPC National or International does that exempt you from the drivers CPC ?

No - its a completely different thing.

I do wish they had not called this a CPC but chosen something else less confusing.

I agree, it should have been called “Professional Driver Tax” or the chancellors piggy bank :unamused:

On second thoughts, CPC seems right = :bulb: Coffers Pinching Chancellor :question: :bulb:

WTF :exclamation:

We our employer need to pay for this every year till we give up driving trucks!

What a crock of sh…!

I don’t need a CPC to operate a PC or a fax or fix the office printer for the umpteenth time in a day.

As per previous posts i’m really struggling to see this as anything other than yet another tax.

The Driver CPC is for LGV and PCV drivers who drive professionally throughout the UK. It has been developed as a requirement of the EU Directive 2003/59, which is designed to improve the knowledge and skills of professional LGV and PCV drivers throughout their working life.

For all the currect information click HERE which is the JAUPT site (Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training).

Usint the link that Smart Mart posted, I’ve found this BUT I suppose they could still change it :exclamation: :exclamation:

skillsforlogistics.org/en/ja … drivercpc/

NEW INITIAL QUALIFICATION

Introduction
This leaflet provides information on the initial qualification for those wishing to obtain vocational licences to drive buses or coaches professionally from 10th September 2008 and lorries from 10th September 2009.
If you already hold a C, C1, CE, C1E, D*, D1*, DE* or D1E* licence issued before these dates you will have ‘acquired rights’ and will not be required to take the initial qualification, however; both new and existing drivers will be required to complete periodic training (see ‘Periodic Training’ leaflet available on www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cpc )

• Those who have an entitlement on their licence stating ‘not for hire or reward’ (Code 101) will not have acquired rights and will have to take the initial qualification should they wish to drive professionally.
    Driver Certificate of Professional Competence 03
    When will it start?
    Bus and Coach drivers — 10th September 2008
    Lorry drivers — 10th September 2009.
    What is Driver CPC?
    Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) is being introduced across the European Union to maintain high driving standards and improve road safety.
    All professional bus, coach and lorry drivers must hold a Driver CPC if they want to drive for a living (there are a few exempt groups — please see ‘Are there any special concessions?’ at the back of this leaflet).
    How will it affect me?
    As a new driver from the above dates, you will need to pass the Driver CPC theory and practical tests in addition to the licence acquisition theory and practical tests if you intend to drive professionally. Once you have passed these tests you will also need to undergo ongoing periodic training to keep your Driver CPC qualification.
    NB: any drivers of lorries of 3.5 tons and upwards, and minibuses with 9 seats or more must obtain a Driver CPC.
    The existing ‘Transport Manager’s CPC’ also known as the ‘Operator’s CPC’ is a separate qualification and anyone holding one who still drives professionally as part of their job will also need to hold a Driver CPC.

How will the test change?
The initial qualification has been divided into 4 modules to give you flexibility to obtain your vocational licence only, or to gain Driver CPC at the same time.
The table below shows the different modules you will need to pass:
If you take your test after the Driver CPC starts date and you are not going to be driving for a living, you will only need to pass Modules 1 & 3.
If, at a later date, you change your mind and want to drive for a living you would need to pass Modules 2 & 4.
Module 1 — Multiple Choice questions and Hazard Perception clips
From 4th August 2008, module 1 will consist of two separate tests. The first will be 100 multiple-choice questions (of which the pass mark will be 85) and the second 19-hazard perception clips with 20 score-able hazards (of which the pass mark will be 67 out of 100). The two tests will take a total of 2 ½ hours to complete, but can be taken separately and in either order.
Module 2 — Case Studies
In addition to passing module 1, to obtain your Driver CPC you will also need to pass module 2. This module is a computer-based test and uses case studies, each one based on real-life scenarios you may encounter in your working life.
It aims to test your knowledge and how you put it into practice. Written by experts from the industry, questions will be based around the case study and you will be asked to answer in a number of different ways such as multiple choice answers, clicking an area on a photograph / image or by typing in a short answer.
(LGV)
Each test will be made up of 7 case studies, each one with 6 — 8 questions, with a possible maximum score of 50 (of which the pass mark will be 38 ). The test will take 1½ hours to complete and can be taken at the same test centre as module 1.
Module 3 — Practical Test
From 10th September 2008 the current practical on-road driving test is being developed to include an Eco-Safe Driving assessment. Although this will not contribute to the result of the test, during the test the examiner will assess your ability to control the vehicle and plan your drive in an eco-safe manner. If you do not do so this will be recorded on the test report form. You will be handed further information on eco-safe driving at the end of the test.
Actual on-road driving time for all rigid categories will be increased slightly to a minimum of 1 hour. This will give examiners the opportunity to assess a candidate’s driving in more varied traffic conditions and on a wider variety of roads.
Module 4 — Driver CPC Practical Test
In addition to passing module 3, to obtain your Driver CPC you will also need to pass module 4 a new practical test focusing on vehicle safety, which has been developed with the support and advice of the industry. In this ½ hour test you will be required to demonstrate your knowledge and ability in the areas listed below:

• Ability to load the vehicle with due regard for safety rules and proper vehicle use
  • Security of the vehicle and contents
  • Ability to prevent criminality and trafficking in illegal immigrants
  • Ability to assess emergency situations
  • Ability to prevent physical risk
  • Demonstrate your ability through a physical, walk round vehicle safety check LGV tests will also see the introduction of a new piece of equipment which will allow you to demonstrate your ability to secure loads.
    The test consists of 5 topic areas, which cover the Driver CPC syllabus, and in order to pass the candidate has to score 15 out of a possible 20 points in each topic area (75%) and an overall score of 80%.
    Driver Certificate of Professional Competence
    Module
    1 Theory Test - 2.5 hrs
    Multiple Choice questions & Hazard Perception clips
    2 Case Studies 1.5 hrs
    3 Practical Test 1.5 hrs
    4 Driver CPC Practical Test 0.5 hrs
    Vehicle Safety Demonstration
    Can I take the modules in any order?
    You must pass module 1 before you take module 3 and you must pass module 2 before you take module 4. In other words, the theory test must be passed before the practical part. However, modules 1 and 2 (theory) can be taken in either order, as can modules 3 and 4 (practical).
    How will I prove I hold Driver CPC?
    After you have passed all 4 modules you will be sent a Driver Qualification Card (DQC). There will be no charge for the card at the point of issue.
    The DQC will be sent to the address on your driving licence. It is important that you keep your details up to date with DVLA.
    You must carry your DQC whilst driving and there will be penalties if you are found to be driving professionally without one. If your DQC has been lost, stolen or damaged, you must report it to the DSA within 7 days and apply for a replacement card. There will be a fee to replace and issue new cards.
    To report your DQC card lost, stolen or damaged contact:
    Email customer.services@dsa.gsi.gov.uk (putting ‘DQC Enquiry’ in the subject field) or telephone 0300 200 1122
    Once you have reported it you will be able to drive for up to 15 days without a card while a replacement is sent to you.
    NB: if your card has been lost or stolen you must inform your employer.
    06 Driver Certificate of Professional Competence Once I have passed my initial qualification, is that it?
    No. A Driver CPC lasts for five years. To retain your Driver CPC you will need to complete 35 hours of periodic training every five years to continue to drive professionally. Further information and a leaflet on periodic training are available from www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cpc or call us on 0300 200 1122.
    Are there any special concessions?
    There are exemptions from the Driver CPC qualification for drivers of vehicles:
  • used for the non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use
  • undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or new or rebuilt vehicles not yet put into service
  • used in the course of driving lessons for any person wishing to obtain a driving licence or Driver CPC
  • carrying material or equipment to be used by the driver in the course of his or her work, provided that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver’s principal activity
  • with a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45km/h
  • used by, or under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service, and forces responsible for maintaining public order
  • used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions.

Have we answered all of your questions on Driver CPC?
If not, contact the Driving Standards Agency:
Email customer.services@dsa.gsi.gov.uk (putting ‘Driver CPC Enquiry’ in the subject field) or telephone 0300 200 1122 or for more detailed information write to us at:
Driver CPC enquiries
PO Box 280
Newcastle
NE99 1FP
More information on the initial qualification and Driver CPC can be found at:
www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cpc
If you are based in Northern Ireland you can contact DVA on:
www.dvani.gov.uk or telephone 02870346960 or write to the DVA at:
Driver & Vehicle Agency
Driving Licensing Division
Castlerock Road
Coleraine
BT51 3TB

Yeah thats the same link that i put on here on tuesday Rog.

kenno78:

All the links are different in so far as they lead to different pages of the same site :smiley: :smiley:

okey dokey :smiley:

ROG:

kenno78:

All the links are different in so far as they lead to different pages of the same site :smiley: :smiley:

ROG, I’ve just been looking on the government transport web for cpc exemptions. I understand there is a “grandfather rights” thingy for experienced drivers until 2012 or 2014. Anyway, I couldn’t find anything and I’m wondering if I will have to apply for an exemption or will DVLA know the score( :confused: ) and notify me?

What’s the drill on this one ROG?

berewic:

ROG:

kenno78:

ROG, I’ve just been looking on the government transport web for cpc exemptions. I understand there is a “grandfather rights” thingy for experienced drivers until 2012 or 2014. Anyway, I couldn’t find anything and I’m wondering if I will have to apply for an exemption or will DVLA know the score( :confused: ) and notify me?

Can’t answer for ROG but anyone who curently holds a HGV license will not need to do the initial Driver CPC but will need to do the periodic training for the Driver CPC, the periodic training consists of 35 hours of training to be completed every 5 years, current holders of HGV licenses will need to have completed the first 35 hours of training before 10th September 2014 or 10 September 2013 for PSV license holders.

The 35 hours of periodic training can be divided into 5 sessions of no less than 7 hours each.

You shouldn’t need to do anything as you should automatically get the grandfather rights :wink:

Speed Freak:
WTF :exclamation:

What a crock of sh…!

I don’t need a CPC to operate a PC or a fax or fix the office printer for the umpteenth time in a day.

Actually, you probably do! The European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL)

As per previous posts i’m really struggling to see this as anything other than yet another tax.

I agree totally though. As the CPC periodic or initial only applies to Hire and Reward, that means any Tom ■■■■ or Arthur can rent a truck to do a house move, race a motorcycle or take aids to some communist refuge. Meanwhile however the professional has to listen to a spotty kid teaching him how to ■■■■ an egg.

berewic:

Is this what you are looking for ? -
transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/v … aining.htm

CPC periodic training
Driver CPC Periodic Training
Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) training is continuing professional development which carries on throughout the drivers’ career. Drivers will have to complete a minimum of 35 hours of approved training every 5 years.
If a driver holds both a Passenger Carrying Vehicles (PCV) and Large Goods Vehicles (LGV) licence they will only be required to complete one set of periodic training.
New drivers must complete their first cycle of periodic training within 5 years of the date they acquired their Driver CPC.
Existing professional bus, coach and lorry drivers deemed to hold Driver CPC by acquired rights, must complete their periodic training within 5 years of the introduction of Driver CPC as follows:
9 September 2013 for PCV licence holders
9 September 2014 for LGV licence holders.
Drivers who do not maintain their Driver CPC because they leave the industries, but who want to resume working as a professional driver, must complete 35 hours of periodic training in order to regain their Driver CPC before they can resume working professionally.
Only approved courses taken with approved training centres will count towards periodic training.