Driver CPC set to be achieved on target

The Government have announced that everything is going to plan as far as the Driver CPC Periodic Training deadline is concerned…maybe there won’t be a panic & driver shortage after all the speculation■■?

Full story here, interesting read: gov.uk/government/news/driv … e-achieved

I’m not so sure - I think the figures need analysing and breaking down a bit.

Any thoughts people■■?

Do they really know?
Considering thier best guess of how many need to do the DCPC varies by 250,000 from 425,000 to 675,000 and then they say 800,000 have started or have finished it.

Who are these extra people that turn up to a DCPC for the hell of it?
Is it a social services thing to get people off the streets and let them have free tea and biscuits?

Just a billy [zb] story to make everyone believe that “everything is gonna be alright”…

The figures are based on the idea that the “entire driving workforce” is essentially a static one… No upside room for “economic expansion” allowed for…
No mention is made of those drivers retiring, and other natural wastage.
No mention is made of those drivers that have changed careers since the statistics were conjured up…

No doubt some suit has just sat down with pre-upturn lines on a graph, and just extended that line beyond the page - and called that the answer!

Among non-full time staff - there’s not a lot of data that can be gleaned as to an accurate projection even now, with less than a month to go.
Full time staff would have “all but done it” - which is the overall picture painted here.
Agency staff though? We don’t count. We’re off the radar. We count as “not claiming JSA” and that makes government figures look good. If we’re all being counted as “all having done DCPC on time” - then someone in an office somewhere is merely crossing their fingers and hoping that the agency workforce is essentially identical to the full time workforce - which it most definitely is not. :smiling_imp:

I had a good Trainer who kept it interesting,and he did know alot.
But 90% i could have read in a Newspaper.
No Advice:
How to locate an Electrical Fault,change a Bulb,and where/why which Fuse.
No any Technical (Engine,Gearbox,Axle) explained.
How to locate and close an Air leak.
How to locate and close a Cool-Water Leak.
What repair on Suzy is legal and what not,and why.

The List is endless.
Not talking about calculating Load Securing,knowing between use of Chain,Steel Rope or Strap.(Driver has to believe what get told,perhaps one who likes to safe Money on Chains and gives you Straps)

The Law explained that most is it the Drivers Fault and no Word about Defence to the Driver.(The Law isn’t to blame you. It is to safe the Traffic and everyone in it. Thats includes the Driver. Did you learn about it?)

I will leave it with that. That Matter would need a own topic.

muckles:
Do they really know?
Considering thier best guess of how many need to do the DCPC varies by 250,000 from 425,000 to 675,000 and then they say 800,000 have started or have finished it.

Who are these extra people that turn up to a DCPC for the hell of it?
Is it a social services thing to get people off the streets and let them have free tea and biscuits?

I loaded 66 Roll-Cages. We were 7 counting it and got 4 different Numbers.
Think the Gov has more such Math Genies :slight_smile:

See immigrant maybe had English lessons on his cpc or maybe he has forgotten his trolling identity.

Daz1970:
The Government have announced that everything is going to plan as far as the Driver CPC Periodic Training deadline is concerned…maybe there won’t be a panic & driver shortage after all the speculation■■?

Full story here, interesting read: gov.uk/government/news/driv … e-achieved

I’m not so sure - I think the figures need analysing and breaking down a bit.

Any thoughts people■■?

yes but how many are class 1 alot of those will be class 2 and 7.5,hopefully :wink:

A lot of big companies with mixed fleets including a lot of 3.5 ton vans, like parcel companies, that lay on their own training have been stuffing all drivers with pre-97 licences through as a safety measure for 7.5t requirements. These may be flattering those figures.

The main issue will be with C+E. I still cannot see how a DCPC that requires a massive 35 hours of classroom training before it can lure any lapsed driver back behind the wheel is compatible with a dynamic 21st century economy that more than ever seems to experience massive swings in demand.

I don’t personally thing that DCPC is needed, in any from, once someone has obtained a licence to begin with the way to provide ongoing relevant and suitable training is through the employer, and nothing will ever change that. However, it could have been implemented much more thoughtful and competent manner rather than the knee jerk badly thought through and bullying way it has been.

The biggest mistake they make is primarily addressing trade associations and using the media to get the message across and when valid queries and reasonable criticisms were made considered responses should have been made direct from the horse’s mouth instead of a sticking their fingers in their ears approach and threatening loss of livelihood.

aaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha what a load of complete and utter ■■■■■, that goes for the DCPC as well

24 million hours of peoples lives utterly wasted to satisfy some pointless bureaucracy created by people not ever democratically voted any power over this country is the real scandal.

Meaningless, unsupportable “statistics”. Only time will truly tell which way the wind is blowing. Ive been on agency work for my current outfit for a few short weeks, and theyre already offering full time jobs to us temps to counter the defections of their permanent guys, who are moving on to better offers. As much as I despise them, I`m unsure whether to stay on agency for the moment and see how this situation develops. Heard that Foulger and Bartrums are also in the same boat. Might help their case if they offered more than the going rate for supermarket workers. :unamused:

Its alright the UK drivers having the DCPC by the 9th September but what about the rest of Europe… From what I gather the French and the Germans don’t have to have it completed until 2016
So whats this a rule for one and a rule for the rest of them, all I can see is VOSA out in force from the 10th Sept trying to catch UK drivers out

Swampey2418:
Its alright the UK drivers having the DCPC by the 9th September but what about the rest of Europe… From what I gather the French and the Germans don’t have to have it completed until 2016
So whats this a rule for one and a rule for the rest of them, all I can see is VOSA out in force from the 10th Sept trying to catch UK drivers out

The French have had it in force since 2012.

See the table at the end here.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/pdf/professional_drivers/report_on_periodic_training_of_professional_drivers_en.pdf

Swampey2418:

True Germany is 2016, but France have had something similar in place for years. And some other Countries in Europe when you need the DCPC or whatever they call it could depend on Date of Birth or Licence number and some of their deadlines were years before us, even Norway are doing it.

So it does…oh well the trainer who I did the DCPC last week told us a list of countries and Im sure he mention France… or did he mean Belgium :open_mouth:

Still disgusting that all countries can’t have this done by one date…what ever next… these countries asking for extensions…

Swampey2418:
So it does…oh well the trainer who I did the DCPC last week told us a list of countries and Im sure he mention France… or did he mean Belgium :open_mouth:

Still disgusting that all countries can’t have this done by one date…what ever next… these countries asking for extensions…

It was all part of the CPC when it was introduced, Countries had a period to implement it Germany, Belgium etc, decided on 2016 other Countries went for a date earlier than 2014. Most seem to have gone for 2014.

Why would they ask for an extension?

Cameron will step out of EU. Then it gets scrapped anywhy. :laughing:

Immigrant:
Cameron will step out of EU. Then it gets scrapped anywhy. :laughing:

Norway are doing it!

September is going to be an interesting month.

Every Driver CPC trainer I know is flat-out.

Local authority fleets, builders merchants etc have been in denial for the past four or more years. Now the penny has dropped.

Driver Hire has just reported its busiest ever week…I suspect they are providing drivers to cover for drivers who are training.