Driver CPC Module 4, 1 Week's time! (UPDATE - PASSED)

Came across a video on youtube Ben Shaw training about module 4. Concerning loading of empty cages he seems to be suggesting that they should go just forward of the back axle like the other loads in question bank but goes on to say everyone says up against the headboard. The volume cuts out a little bit so maybe I’m mishearing.

youtu.be/zHp7dd4itm8

27 minutes in.

Well first thing, hello to you all, im new here and hope to learn alot from alot more experienced people than myself.

I have passed my class 2 exam the other month with 2 minors at my 1st attempt so i am pleased with that!

But as the title states i have my CPC module 4 practical exam booked a week wednesday and to be honest im real nervous about it. I had CPC training with a company which i had passed my class 2 with and i just feel they have not brought me up to standard which i know i need to pass this test!! basically turned up on this course and they did not have a demonstration trolley which they will have at the test centre so i have no idea how to demonstarate using straps on the trolley or chains ect. using straps was shown to us on a flat bed, and using a chain tensioner was shown to us using this old cage they had ( im still unsure of how to use chain tensioner’s on the trolley, can anyone help or got a video how to use them?), which is nothing ike the trolley they will use on test!! And i have no idea about the axel weight limits of our lorry i will be using on test ect, i feel let down by the training company. (but their lorry training was brilliant!!) Can anybody help in giving me tips and material to help me pass this test, i cant afford to fail. i have read the sticky about someone who took the exam

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60945

Also i have dwnloaded a pdf of a list of possible questions from flairtraining.

flairtraining.co.uk/PDF/cpcp … stions.pdf

And i have looked at their excellent guide online about the cpc here

flairtraining.co.uk/universi … cmod4/#/1/

(^is there a PDF i can download of that? it would be easier if i could download a PDF and print it out, it wont print properly from that site.)

All of that was a great help but i feel i dont understand everthing, maybe im stressing too much over it all but i want to get it right and pass 1st time as the cost is an issue. If i lived near flairtraining i would of definaley took a course with them as they seem a quality company!

Can someone help me on a particular question i am unsure of? it’s about loading and it goes as follows:

1. You have delivered part of your load and are left with half a load of empty steel cages inside your box van.

Show me by pointing the area of the box you would distribute the load.

Show me by pointing to the correct restraining device you would use to secure your load.

Show me how you would secure the load with the restraining device.

Show me how you would remove the restraining device.

It say’s show me by pointing the area of the box i would distribute the load after i have delivered part of it, so where would i point to?? would it go up against the headboard? does he mean point on the diagram? sorry if this sounds an obvious question but this just goes to show how little i feel i have been tutored!

I also was given a book “the official DSA guide to driving goods veichles” and told to read it and everything i need is in the book, i’m reading it but alot seems irrelevent to me and for the test.

Sorry it’s so long winded, any help and tips would be great.

Regards.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

It say’s show me by pointing the area of the box i would distribute the load after i have delivered part of it, so where would i point to?? would it go up against the headboard?

Got to be a quick answer as I’ve got to teach this myself in 5 minutes!!

There are 3 relevant questions; 1 relates to empty roll cages - they go up to the headboard. The other 2 questions refer to steel or palletised paper - - they both go over the rear axle heading towards the cab.

Sorry to hear about the poor training; I think I would be having a word and asking for more training. Sadly there are some perfectly good licence acquisision trainers out there (and you’ve clearly been to one of them) who just aren’t equipped for the driver cpc.

Another matter for the newbie to consider when booking.

All the very best with it all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:
PS Sorry it’s such a short answer

Thanks Peter for the reply. That helps me thanks. I feel that i got alot to learn in only a short amount of time. Funny thing is i found the class 2 practical exam a pieace of cake and was relaxed and passed easy, but this CPC has me stressing, i think only due to my poor training more than anything as im sure that if they had showed me on the proper equipment ect i would feel more at ease.

If anyone else has tips ect that would help me alot.

Also, can someone help me on this question?

it’s about the centre of gravity.

“the examiner may ask you to point to the centre of gravity on the veichle”■■?

Where is that, it’s the lowest point right? but where do i point to? things should of been covered on my training session!!! cheers.

Hello Brawngp

The first thing is don’t panic about this particular test. There are only 5 questions on the test and 3 are the same on each examiners question sheet.

1. You will be asked one of the questions from section 3 about preventing illegal immigration. Take your time walking round the vehicle so that you do not miss anything. Start from the front and complete a circle of the vehicle checking for anywhere that either a person could hide or illegal substances hidden. Check the fuel cap is securely in place and dont forget the roof. Because the vehicle is unladen we open the rear doors and check the roof from inside where a shadow of a person could be easily seen. Then get into the cab and look everywhere in every locker and under the seats. Everywhere.

2. You will be asked question 4 in section 4 about how to enter a vehicle correctly and what to check before starting the engine. Then you must demonstrate how to get out the cab correctly.

3. You MUST learn and remember the 10 walk round check items and demonstrate them to the examiner. You will score 2 points for each one demonstrated so you must remember at least 7 to pass the question. Some examiners even allow you to take a checklist to the test with you. The rules say you can but some examiners do not permit this. Check with the trainer first.

Peter’s answer is spot on about the load securing trolley. To be honest only about 1 in ten tests actually use this question but it might be different at your local test centre.

To answer the question about the centre of gravity basically point to a spot level with the floor of the body just forward of halfway along the body. Very simply put it is the point of balance of the vehicle both lengthways and heightways. Expand your answer by explaining the centre of gravity moves higher up the more you load the vehicle upwards.

You could take the list of the questions along to the trainer and ask them to cover each question in turn.

Good luck hope this helps.

Hiyyaaa brawngp, Congratulations on passing your C test earlier & good luck with your mod 4 , & welcome :smiley:

Cheers LGVTrainer, good advice there, thanks for the tips and answer to my question, i am going to list down all the important points for each section and learn it like that. I’ll read up on all those questions from flair training and hopefully i will pass this test. Cheers Bonnie.

I looked up how to use ratchet straps and using it on the demonstration trolley, also the dolly knot i can now do, but can you explain to me how i would attach the chain tensionor to the demonstration trolley? which point or points do you attach it too? if anyone can help would be great, i appreciate all your knowledge and helping the newbie.

I need to pass this and get on with getting my class 1, then i will build my experience up in class 2 then hope move to class 1 driving, class 1 is my main goal and always have been, class 2 was just a stepping stone.

can you explain to me how i would attach the chain tensionor to the demonstration trolley?

Hi, got a bit more time now so I’ll have a go at this one for you.

The chain should be passed side to side across the 1st bar down and then under the 2nd bar down with an equal amount (not mega critical) in the box below. Difficult to describe but easier if you picture the 1st bar down as the flatbed you are loading. Then use the tensioner to take up the slack. Don’t try to get the ends of the tensioner through the link; it goes across the link. Make sure the tensioner is well “out” before you start or you’ll possbily run out of capacity to tighten up.

So, to clarify, the ends of the chain should both be in the box - not attached in any way to the trolley.

If I were you, I’d ring round driving schools to find out who has got a proper trolley. Doesn’t matter if it’s a copy or the genuine - they’ll all do the same job. TBH it’s disgraceful that your trainer has attempted this training without the equipment. Think you should name and shame - - but making it clear he’s good at road training as he clearly is.

All the best and hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Just another thought; there is never any need to tie a dolly knot. The question that could involve the rope and thus the knot relates to carrying palletised paper. You have 2 options that are correct; rope or strap. Having selected the restraint, you will then be asked to demonstrate it. If you say you could use either then you leave yourself wide open to being asked to use the rope. BUT if you don’t mention the rope you cannot be asked to use it. Stick to the strap. You should know how to assemble it from scratch and be capable of stripping it again.

John said that around 1 in 10 test use the trolley. (He also said that varies between test centres). My experience is around 7 in 10 using the trolley.

As I said above, ring round and get some practical help with this. I’m sure most trainers would help you out if you explain the circumstances.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter thanks for bearing with me, your’s and other’s information is of great help to me. I am abit lost with the chain tensionor still i got to admit, i cant just hope they wont ask me about the steel loading because chances are they will and i will have to demonstrate how to use the chains, and i will be stuffed! I tried searching youtube for videos about it, i came up with this one about the chains on the trolley, is this the right way? (dont think so)

youtube.com/watch?v=-78wNQxofZ4

Hi

Yes, the video from EP training is correct. They’ve put the chaing the other way round the trolley but I don’t see that matters.

If it goes pearshaped, try Pembrookshire Road Training at Haverfordwest. Tell him I sent you - that’s a pint he owes me! They also have their own driving test centre on site so it’s relatively easy to arrange these tests with no hassle.

But be positive. Still think you should try locally for some help before your test. Why not try the above and tell them I said so?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Peter i’ll keep that in mind. I got alot of material to work with now, also with very helpful members on here helping me out, i just need to revise all this stuff now and not to forget the basic things. Also thanks to LGVtrainer :slight_smile:

H and welcome.

Please have a look at my blog. It will give some basic pointers for the Module 4 exam

hgvlgvtraining.co.uk/blog/20 … s-answers/

Good luck and remember. Listen to what the examiner is asking you

hgvlgvtraining

Thanks, i’ll read through it and write down all important points. You have all been very helpful and welcoming and i thank you all :smiley:

just pray it rains … most of the times the examiners wont bother pulling the trolley out … :smiley:

Yeah it raining would help, the examiner would want to get into the warm quick and pass me anyway :laughing: …i wish!

Another thing i would like to clear up if anyone has 2 mins to spare. On the question below which door would i exit out of, the drivers or passangers? because i read on here somewhere that he entered out of the drivers door and did not get the mark for it, he said he should of exited out of the passangers door because it was on a busy main road, (or motorway i think it may have been) is that correct? (i’ll try to find the post)

Show me how you would enter the vehicle safely, and then show me all of the precautions you would take before starting the engine. b) You are now parked on the left on a busy main road. Please show me how you would leave your vehicle safely.

P.S cheers “LGVTrainer” i recieved that file after and its a real great help, thanks again for all your help and support :smiley:

brawngp:
Yeah it raining would help, the examiner would want to get into the warm quick and pass me anyway :laughing: …i wish!

Another thing i would like to clear up if anyone has 2 mins to spare. On the question below which door would i exit out of, the drivers or passangers? because i read on here somewhere that he entered out of the drivers door and did not get the mark for it, he said he should of exited out of the passangers door because it was on a busy main road, is that correct? (i’ll try to find the post)

Show me how you would enter the vehicle safely, and then show me all of the precautions you would take before starting the engine. b) You are now parked on the left on a busy main road. Please show me how you would leave your vehicle safely.

Check your mirrors and blind spot and make sure it all clear to open the door, (tell him, im checking and there is no traffic and it is safe to exit)
when you exit make sure you use your three points of contact, and tell him all the time what your doing,
When I done mine I really acted and I was very vocal explaining all the time what your doing as your doing it,
Just be confident and show him you know what your doing and you will be fine, Good luck :smiley:

Just a quick update, i PASSED this morning, just scraped through with 85%, but a pass is a pass!! 20% on first 2 and 15% on other 3. (was nerves made me forget a few points)

Also they did not even bring the trolley out so i was stressing over that for nothing!! was a bloody cold morning, think the examiner just wanted to go back into the warm :smiley:

Big thanks to all who helped me get through this. Big thanks to Peter Smythe and LGVTrainer without your help i would not of got through it, also thanks LGVTrainer for sending me those files, i did get them, was a great help :smiley:

Tip for others, read the sticky on here about the module 4 exam.

Read Flair training cpc module 4 course

flairtraining.co.uk/universi … cmod4/#/1/

Also read there questions here

flairtraining.co.uk/PDF/cpcp … stions.pdf

Reading the above are a must. Good luck :smiley:

Now onto my class 1 :smiley:

Also where do i order a digital tacho card? DVLA website? i’m guessing if i do agency work i’m gonna need one of them.

Well done on the pass. Hope I do just as well on 13th. Let’s also hope it doesn’t get snowed off (if that’s possible for mod 4).

If I am honest I am more worried about this one than doing the module 3.

Good luck with finding work and doing C+E

Dean

I don’t know if tacho forms are available at post office. I went online to dvla website and ordered the form by post. Sent it off with a cheque and they say to wait up to 2 weeks for it to be despatched.

Dean