Driver CPC enforcement

Conor:

Own Account Driver:
DCPC in it’s present form will never last 35 hours of classroom training between getting labour to match increases in demand will never be viable long term and be an obvious drag to economic growth.

■■■■■■■■. Its one day a year. That is not a drag to economic growth.

The other thing that leads me to suspect this motive is the way that any old drivel has been approved as a course. This makes me suspicious they were never that bothered about the actual training element just getting rid of old drivers to make way for younger ones. The public might not be that thrilled if it results in as many Scania V8s as Citroen Saxos wrapped round lamp posts.

People are getting the courses they’re prepared to pay for. I wanted a decent one so I went to a decent training centre and got a decent course. Morons like you who just wanted to bang the 35hrs in and didn’t give a toss just took any old crap and didn’t care whether you set fire to your money or not. Shame really given how much crap you’ve come out with you’re sorely in need of training but then again you’re only another in a long line of halfwits in this industry who seem to think they don’t need any.

As for young drivers vs old ones, given the amount of sheer unadulterated incompetency and number of thickos I’ve seen in haulage, many of whom are knocking on the door of retirement, the young ones are going to be way ahead of the oldies. Maybe they’re getting rid of old drivers because quite frankly most of them are utterly crap and actually can’t drive that well. One reason for wagons going onto automatic gear boxes is because of the sheer number of old drivers who can’t drive for toffee, rag the crap out of the engine and wallop through fuel like you wouldn’t believe. We have the highest amount of loads falling off trucks in the entire EU so old drivers haven’t exactly got a sterling record.

I’ve read some crap on here but that last paragraph takes first prize.

wait until sitting bored to tears in a cpc and attending isn’t good enough and you will have to pay and pass one.thats the way itl go. nothing surer now most drivers are going to have a cpc,itl have to be kept up to date,and nothing surer itl be a firther moneymaker at the drivers expence.

truckman020:
wonder what they will come out with next in order for us to drive hgvs ,probably be a CPC on top of a CPC,might sound daft but you never know

wired4smoke:

GasGas:

wired4smoke:
£50 first time round, doesn’t seem to bad. So all the scaremongering of lost licenses having no insurances getting banned is out the window, that will upset the DVSA loving brigade.

Err no it’s not all out of the window.

£50 if caught without the card.

Up to £1000 + reported to the TC if you are caught again…which could presumably be as you leave the ‘stop’ having just been handed your £50 FP, if you are still driving the truck.

No mention of insurance because its not for DVSA to revoke your cover…but your insurer might if you put in a claim and it turns out the driver wasn’t qualified. Some have said they will.

See you’s can’t help yourselves, always looking for the worst case scenario. Listen up to £1000 fine you know what that means, it will be along the lines of £200.
Stop trying to make everything sound so dramatic, stop making out that there are serious implementations going on.
It’s a joke we all know it stop trying to dress it up.
And BTW you lose all credibility when you finish a posting with the words
“Some have said they will”
This is my point, all scare story’s .

No some INSURANCE COMPANIES have said they will. Aviva being one. You may have heard of them…

truckman020:
wonder what they will come out with next in order for us to drive hgvs ,probably be a CPC on top of a CPC,might sound daft but you never know

we’ve already got that! i’ve held national and international cpc’s for 25 years, still had to do 35 hours for the little blue card!

They simply can’t take that view on insurance in practice because exemptions apply that mean only a court can determine their validity. It’s not like a driving licence where no-one is allowed to drive without one.

captain62:

truckman020:

we’ve already got that! i’ve held national and international cpc’s for 25 years, still had to do 35 hours for the little blue card!

More than likely a course devised and taught by someone who’d be incapable of passing that exam.

Own Account Driver:
On a fleet policy I’ve never ever been asked for either MOT certificates or drivers licences after a crash and the law prevents them withdrawing third party cover.

Unless it’s demonstrated someone with DCPC is a better risk the insurance industry will show no interest.

Our fleet policy has loads of clauses, including licence checks of all drivers including casual driver and spouses. Records kept of all licence checks, the insurance company must be informed of any driver who gets 6 points or more on their licence. It also has loads of other clauses about vehicle security, but their not relevant here.

Not had a claim since we’ve taken out this policy, but I’m sure if they’ve asked for all this it will be something they subsequently check in the event of a claim. The law might stop a company removing third party cover, but I think you’ll find its actually Road Traffic Act cover that is the minimum legal level. But that could still leave a company out of pocket.

At the moment according to the DVSA who I phoned today you are getting a short period of grace and no they didn’t say how short, to drive without your card and you don’t need to carry proof as they can check on the dvsa website to confirm that you have done he 35hrs and are waiting for the card.

What Aviva said was they would settle any 3rd party claim (as they are obliged to) but would then review the policy with a view to its cancellation. They could also take steps to recover monies paid out from the policy-holder.

Harry Monk:

Conor:
You cannot take two consecutive reduced weekly rests.

It wasn’t a decent enough course to be able to make you understand tachograph regs though? :stuck_out_tongue:

From VOSA "Rules on Driver Hours and Tachographs:
gov.uk/government/uploads/s … europe.pdf

Page 22, weekly rest:

"In any two consecutive ‘fixed’ weeks a driver must take at least:
two regular weekly rests; or
one regular weekly rest and one reduced weekly rest.

Thank you for confirming you don’t know basic EU drivers hours regs.

muckles:

Own Account Driver:
On a fleet policy I’ve never ever been asked for either MOT certificates or drivers licences after a crash and the law prevents them withdrawing third party cover.

Unless it’s demonstrated someone with DCPC is a better risk the insurance industry will show no interest.

Our fleet policy has loads of clauses, including licence checks of all drivers including casual driver and spouses. Records kept of all licence checks, the insurance company must be informed of any driver who gets 6 points or more on their licence. It also has loads of other clauses about vehicle security, but their not relevant here.

Not had a claim since we’ve taken out this policy, but I’m sure if they’ve asked for all this it will be something they subsequently check in the event of a claim. The law might stop a company removing third party cover, but I think you’ll find its actually Road Traffic Act cover that is the minimum legal level. But that could still leave a company out of pocket.

To be honest unless your company has a bad track record for claims I would not accept those clauses. I would say they’re beyond, and more onerous, than what many even quite high risk fleets have.

Even if you are in breach of one such clause they may try to invoke it but there is plenty of case law of insurers being legally compelled to pay out if it can be demonstrated that the breach was not a contributory factor to the accident.

Insurance is a competive market and fleet insurance is big money business and how well they handle claims determines whether customers continue with cover from them. I must have put in dozens of at fault claims, over the years for mine and other companies working for, and they may have requested vehicle documentation but have never gone into driver’s licences or put any energy into finding ways not to pay out on a technicality. In one case they still paid out for a stolen van even though they knew from the start the keys had been left in the ignition.

GasGas:
What Aviva said was they would settle any 3rd party claim (as they are obliged to) but would then review the policy with a view to its cancellation. They could also take steps to recover monies paid out from the policy-holder.

That sounds like the closest they could get in a public response to saying they intend doing absolutely nothing.

So a quite small haulier with a fleet policy costing £15k has an agency driver that demolishes someone’s garden wall. They payout a couple of grand to fix the wall and bumper and they’re then going to turn round and say as you didn’t check he had DQC we’re going to ask you to take your £15k pa elsewhere?

No chance they’re businesses that exist to make profit they’ve no interest in keeping DCPC training parasites in work or sparing VOSA embarrassment for making a dog’s breakfast of DCPC implementation.

If they were in any way serious they would be currently printing new documentation to send out to policyholders with some specific exclusion.

err u have 15 days from today if u completed your 35hrs while u waiting for your joker card to arrive :smiley:

stevejones:
err u have 15 days from today if u completed your 35hrs while u waiting for your joker card to arrive :smiley:

Where does the 15 days come from ?

tachograph:

stevejones:

The driver DVSA CPC hotline - verbally

That hotline has an automated message stating that the waiting time will be as a one-off and no waiting time will be accepted in the future

ROG:

tachograph:

stevejones:

The driver DVSA CPC hotline - verbally

That hotline has an automated message stating that the waiting time will be as a one-off and no waiting time will be accepted in the future

I’ve just phoned them and again no mention of a 15 day limit, you can drive until the DCQ arrives.

While I would be concerned if a DQC wasn’t delivered within 15 days there’s certainly no 15 day limit mentioned anywhere and there’s nothing in the regulations about it either.

The DVSA automated phone service does say about allowing drivers to continue driving while waiting for the DQC to arrive as a short term measure, but I’m not sure they could refuse to let anyone continue driving without changing the regulations.
The regulations allow a driver to continue driving while waiting for the DQC as long as he can prove the training is completed, that could be an interesting court case if it ever gets tested :grimacing:

As I said on another thread, the fact that when tax discs are disappearing they’ve wasted money on issuing an additional card at all is ridiculous.

tachograph:
I’ve just phoned them and again no mention of a 15 day limit, you can drive until the DCQ arrives.

Who did you speak to?

The .gov site shows the details:

gov.uk/driver-certificate-o … n-card-dqc

At the top it says you can be fined for not carrying it (I would assume if you have received it), but below says you can drive IF you have completed but not received your card and states you should receive it within 20 days

I have printed this out, and gave a copy to our lads who have not received their card yet (no - I did not arrange the training, some one paid a great deal more than me did and I will say no more about that)

ROG:

tachograph:

Who did you speak to?

I never spoke to anyone because I couldn’t get through.

It makes not one iota of difference though, the automated message says nothing about 15 days, the email I received from the DVSA, which you’ve seen and said you got the same answer on the phone, says nothing about 15 days and the regulations say nothing about 15 days.