Driver CPC enforcement

The official word is here as promised

truckingtopics.co.uk/drivercpcenforce.html

£50 first time round, doesn’t seem to bad. So all the scaremongering of lost licenses having no insurances getting banned is out the window, that will upset the DVSA loving brigade.

I wonder if they will stop the driver from driving any further in these circumstances
Done training but not carrying card
Not done the training
:question: :question:

Glad my card arrived today then… I’ve not had any certificates given to me at all by my trainer and the only proof I had was the screenshot of the website with the list of modules completed on it, which clearly states its not to be used a proof of entitlement.

I’ve got my card, so enforcement doesn’t bother me, nor if people are prosecuted. I just want a pay rise. :smiling_imp:

wired4smoke:
£50 first time round, doesn’t seem to bad. So all the scaremongering of lost licenses having no insurances getting banned is out the window, that will upset the DVSA loving brigade.

Err no it’s not all out of the window.

£50 if caught without the card.

Up to £1000 + reported to the TC if you are caught again…which could presumably be as you leave the ‘stop’ having just been handed your £50 FP, if you are still driving the truck.

No mention of insurance because its not for DVSA to revoke your cover…but your insurer might if you put in a claim and it turns out the driver wasn’t qualified. Some have said they will.

GasGas:

wired4smoke:

Up to £1000 + reported to the TC if you are caught again…which could presumably be as you leave the ‘stop’ having just been handed your £50 FP, if you are still driving the truck.

No mention of insurance because its not for DVSA to revoke your cover…but your insurer might if you put in a claim and it turns out the driver wasn’t qualified. Some have said they will.

Which insurers have said they will?

To be honest this is the sort of scaremongering he was talking about. I would be surprised if drivers were prevented from completing the journey/returning to base. Motorists given fixed penalties for no road tax are generally allowed to proceed, for example.

I suspect only firms with significant numbers of drivers on the books without cards will ever see the inside of a court.

It’s surprising how much Euro legislation just gets forgotten about. All electrical retailers are supposed to offer to take back the old fridge or cooker. Councils now mostly do it as implementation was unsuccessful, the law is still there but ignored and not enforced.

DCPC in it’s present form will never last 35 hours of classroom training between getting labour to match increases in demand will never be viable long term and be an obvious drag to economic growth.

Knowing the original goal, the cynic in me suspects, once the process that’s now occurring of old bums being forced off drivers seats en masse and replaced with much younger ones and a loomimg driver age demographic crisis headed off the whole thing will be quietly forgotten about having served it’s purpose.

The other thing that leads me to suspect this motive is the way that any old drivel has been approved as a course. This makes me suspicious they were never that bothered about the actual training element just getting rid of old drivers to make way for younger ones. The public might not be that thrilled if it results in as many Scania V8s as Citroen Saxos wrapped round lamp posts.

Own Account Driver:
DCPC in it’s present form will never last 35 hours of classroom training between getting labour to match increases in demand will never be viable long term and be an obvious drag to economic growth.

■■■■■■■■. Its one day a year. That is not a drag to economic growth.

The other thing that leads me to suspect this motive is the way that any old drivel has been approved as a course. This makes me suspicious they were never that bothered about the actual training element just getting rid of old drivers to make way for younger ones. The public might not be that thrilled if it results in as many Scania V8s as Citroen Saxos wrapped round lamp posts.

People are getting the courses they’re prepared to pay for. I wanted a decent one so I went to a decent training centre and got a decent course. Morons like you who just wanted to bang the 35hrs in and didn’t give a toss just took any old crap and didn’t care whether you set fire to your money or not. Shame really given how much crap you’ve come out with you’re sorely in need of training but then again you’re only another in a long line of halfwits in this industry who seem to think they don’t need any.

As for young drivers vs old ones, given the amount of sheer unadulterated incompetency and number of thickos I’ve seen in haulage, many of whom are knocking on the door of retirement, the young ones are going to be way ahead of the oldies. Maybe they’re getting rid of old drivers because quite frankly most of them are utterly crap and actually can’t drive that well. One reason for wagons going onto automatic gear boxes is because of the sheer number of old drivers who can’t drive for toffee, rag the crap out of the engine and wallop through fuel like you wouldn’t believe. We have the highest amount of loads falling off trucks in the entire EU so old drivers haven’t exactly got a sterling record.

I paid £300 out of my own money to get the drivers cpc. Fortunately I chose one of the better providers, but in its current format the whole dcpc thing is a complete and utter joke anyway.

Someone can go sit the first aid module five times and get a dcpc or be fed a load of incorrect information by an ‘approved trainer’ and still get the little blue card. Has it created better drivers or made the road a safer place? Has it fork… :neutral_face:

Conor:

Own Account Driver:

■■■■■■■■. Its one day a year. That is not a drag to economic growth.

It’s not for someone that has left the industry for something at the time was better paid. If there is a large increase in demand you cannot satisfy it without people doing 35 hours classroom training.

A qualification that’s worth having it generally isn’t the case you need to pay more for a better one an A-level or GCSE is the same wherever you get it.

You have not provided any evidence for this idea the UK has the worst record for load security.

If you think younger drivers are better than older drivers then add the motor insurance industry to the electrical for one’s you are not up to going into.

Own Account Driver:
Motorists given fixed penalties for no road tax are generally allowed to proceed.

That doesn’t happen, they seize the car until you pay it

alterego:

Own Account Driver:
Motorists given fixed penalties for no road tax are generally allowed to proceed.

Certainly the case up until a few years ago as the company I dealt with didn’t tax the vehicles basically as policy so when ANPR came in they all of a sudden were getting pulled all the time it was just fixed penalty and on your way.

Own Account Driver:

alterego:

Own Account Driver:

Certainly the case up until a few years ago as the company I dealt with didn’t tax the vehicles basically as policy so when ANPR came in they all of a sudden were getting pulled all the time it was just fixed penalty and on your way.

you could always meet them in the middle and tax your truck plg. the disk is on the window,so ok with the anpr,and vosa only look at the dates as its not flagging up on the computer. nobody reads the small print.(sofar)

GasGas:

wired4smoke:

See you’s can’t help yourselves, always looking for the worst case scenario. Listen up to £1000 fine you know what that means, it will be along the lines of £200.
Stop trying to make everything sound so dramatic, stop making out that there are serious implementations going on.
It’s a joke we all know it stop trying to dress it up.
And BTW you lose all credibility when you finish a posting with the words
“Some have said they will”
This is my point, all scare story’s .

At the end of the day its the law and no matter how daft or ill thought out it may be the law will be enforced. The “scare story” is that drivers and company with have to take a trip to see the traffic commissioner for a second offence which could mean that a DCPC course and carrying the card is the cheapest option.

It should take out of the driver pool many casual drivers so increasing driver demand and ultimately WAGES !

The matter of insurance being cancelled…not sure - time will tell!!! Just think about any claim - they’ll try anything to avoid paying out. Maybe along the lines of driver not having the correct category on his licence to drive the vehicle professionally (albeit temporarily).
Anyway even if they do pay out a claim, there are many opportunities for drivers to be checked other than on DVSA roadside checks. For example, at the scene of a minor, non-fault RTA: Policeman “Can I check you DCPC card while we’re at it driver??” “Oh dear, you haven’t done 35 hours training - where’s my pen and notebook!!■■”

Daz1970:
The matter of insurance being cancelled…not sure - time will tell!!! Just think about any claim - they’ll try anything to avoid paying out. Maybe along the lines of driver not having the correct category on his licence to drive the vehicle professionally (albeit temporarily).
Anyway even if they do pay out a claim, there are many opportunities for drivers to be checked other than on DVSA roadside checks. For example, at the scene of a minor, non-fault RTA: Policeman “Can I check you DCPC card while we’re at it driver??” “Oh dear, you haven’t done 35 hours training - where’s my pen and notebook!!■■”

Nah, they tried to lazily do the whole getting the insurance industry to do the scaremongering and enforcement for them but they wouldn’t play ball. On a fleet policy I’ve never ever been asked for either MOT certificates or drivers licences after a crash and the law prevents them withdrawing third party cover.

Unless it’s demonstrated someone with DCPC is a better risk the insurance industry will show no interest.

thehairyarsedtrucker:
At the end of the day its the law and no matter how daft or ill thought out it may be the law will be enforced. The “scare story” is that drivers and company with have to take a trip to see the traffic commissioner for a second offence which could mean that a DCPC course and carrying the card is the cheapest option.

It should take out of the driver pool many casual drivers so increasing driver demand and ultimately WAGES !

Loads of laws are either selectively, weakly or not enforced at all. Check the average speed in the outside lane of the motorway for further evidence.

Conor:

People are getting the courses they’re prepared to pay for. I wanted a decent one so I went to a decent training centre and got a decent course. Morons like you who just wanted to bang the 35hrs in and didn’t give a toss just took any old crap and didn’t care whether you set fire to your money or not. Shame really given how much crap you’ve come out with you’re sorely in need of training but then again you’re only another in a long line of halfwits in this industry who seem to think they don’t need any.

Conor:
You cannot take two consecutive reduced weekly rests.

It wasn’t a decent enough course to be able to make you understand tachograph regs though? :stuck_out_tongue:

wonder what they will come out with next in order for us to drive hgvs ,probably be a CPC on top of a CPC,might sound daft but you never know