Driver arrested after ES lorry stuck under railway bridge

The driver who got his lorry stuck under the railway bridge in Longton has been arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.
The 49-year-old man misjudged the height of the bridge over King Street, in the town centre, leaving the Eddie Stobart haulage vehicle trapped from about 10.15pm last night.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/driver-arrested-after-eddie-stobart-lorry-stuck-under-railway-bridge-in-longton/story-29970756-detail/story.html

Map

easy to see why he never saw the bridge.its not exactly conspicuous there…kinda sneaks up on you… :astonished:

Simply following the new road marking , as seen in the Google Image

Bellends this way :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

How can you. Misjudge the height ffs

nick2008:

Halfway through your second bottle of Vodka I’d imagine that signs become a tad blurry.

Stobarts finest at it again,there is enough signs warning before you get there,numpty.
We go down the strand turn right before the bridge then into transport lane signs aplenty,then following on from Muckaways thread can’t get to the drop due to parked cars everywhere (well taxi’s on double yellows who won’t move so hazards on and paper out).

I’m wondering if Stobarts get a smaller fine if this is indeed a case of DD rather than “inexperienced bell-end”?

Casual Observer:

Bellends this way :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:
Well spotted pmsl :laughing:

Casual Observer:

Bellends this way :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Two drink driving incidents this year then involving britains most loved and iconic haulage company :angry:

Uncleskid:

Casual Observer:

are we sure he wasnt distracted by xmaster r similar?? that looks like the shadow of his ■■■■ in the bottom of the pic.

yorkshire terrier:
Two drink driving incidents this year then involving britains most loved and iconic haulage company :angry:

In fairness, I’d have to be ■■■■■■ out of my head to work for Eddie Stobart too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:

yorkshire terrier:

In fairness, I’d have to be ■■■■■■ out of my head to work for Eddie Stobart too. :stuck_out_tongue:

+1 [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieseldog999:

Uncleskid:

Casual Observer:

are we sure he wasnt distracted by xmaster r similar?? that looks like the shadow of his ■■■■ in the bottom of the pic.

I thought the same, he got my share too.

nick2008:

Exactly. Trailer is this height, bridge is this height. Trailer is either too high or goes under. It’s not down to making a judgement. It’s black and white.

yorkshire terrier:

I believe I banged on another thread about “substandard driving rather than immigrant” that was connected to £8.50ph… This one seems to be both, but I strongly suspect that this incident is 100% about ■■■■-up rather than any percentage of criminal act or intent.

Any suggestion that DD is involved invokes the question “How come any at-work culture of drinking on duty wasn’t picked up earlier?”
…Unless of course, it’s because there was no drinking. A driver might be persuaded to take the rap to save the company a few quid for example (conspiracy hat on now)

I’ll ask the question again:

"What is the difference between the fine the company pays if their driver proves to be DD as opposed to “totally incompetent to do the job on HM’s highway”?

What happens to a yard that employs a truck driver with no licence at all - whilst I’m at it? :confused:

I doubt you can understand how it’s possible to hit a bridge, until you do it. :smiley:

I’m so scared that a potential mishap on my part could end up on here, that the second I even lay eyes on a bridge alarm bells are going off in my head… And I even do that in the car, where I now keep turning the wipers on looking for a DAF retarder! :laughing:

I think the eye-opener in this case is the fact that this bridge goes on forever, and it would be impossible to “suddenly approach, not realizing both that it was there at all, and not noticing any of the multiple headroom signs with it.” You’d even have to skid around the corners at the junctions with blindfold on to miss it - surely? :unamused:

I guess I must be too timid a driver in that I never play chicken with a bridge… The ones I chicken out of the most are marked 13’9" when my height plate says … 13’9" of course. :blush:

Evil8Beezle:
I doubt you can understand how it’s possible to hit a bridge, until you do it. :smiley:

I’m so scared that a potential mishap on my part could end up on here, that the second I even lay eyes on a bridge alarm bells are going off in my head… And I even do that in the car, where I now keep turning the wipers on looking for a DAF retarder! :laughing:

With about the same effect

Winseer:
I think the eye-opener in this case is the fact that this bridge goes on forever, and it would be impossible to “suddenly approach, not realizing both that it was there at all, and not noticing any of the multiple headroom signs with it.” You’d even have to skid around the corners at the junctions with blindfold on to miss it - surely? :unamused:

I guess I must be too timid a driver in that I never play chicken with a bridge… The ones I chicken out of the most are marked 13’9" when my height plate says … 13’9" of course. :blush:

The idea of putting heavy chains hanging from a gantry on the approach to the bridge is obviously based on the idea that many/most bridge strikes are caused by the driver forgetting all about the height of the ‘vehicle’ including the in cab height indicator as part of that.Not forgetting that there’s a massive great big bridge ahead. :bulb: