Driver Age Back Up?

Hey all. Looking on the direct.gov website it looks like from 1st of Jan 2013 the age for class 2 & 1 is going back to 21

Edit. Sorry to scare folk. Reading .gov site on my phone and didn’t see another link. If you are driving hgv professionally then its still 18

Sorry

A link to the article would help anyone who’s interested.

It does not affect me as I’m an old codger lol.

But what about the 18-21 year olds who have already qualified.

Are they going to take their entitlement away?

I’m 18 and I’ve got my practical test booked 11th July,

This shouldn’t affect my entitlement or will it?

All that’s happening is that you have to do the initial DCPC in order to drive LGVs at 18 :wink:
From here

** You can drive these vehicles at age 18 if one of the following apply:

you have passed your driving test and Driver CPC initial qualification
you are learning to drive or taking a driving test for this category or Driver CPC initial qualification
you are taking a national vocational training course to get a Driver CPC initial qualification
you had your driving licence before 10 September 2009 - you must take the CPC periodic training within five years of this date

Like m’self and a few others who have Class 1 (or 2), you’re entitlement will remain.

tachograph:
All that’s happening is that you have to do the initial DCPC in order to drive LGVs at 18 :wink:
From here

** You can drive these vehicles at age 18 if one of the following apply:

you have passed your driving test and Driver CPC initial qualification
you are learning to drive or taking a driving test for this category or Driver CPC initial qualification
you are taking a national vocational training course to get a Driver CPC initial qualification
you had your driving licence before 10 September 2009 - you must take the CPC periodic training within five years of this date

Indeed. After the new rules come in during January 2013, those passing an LGV test under the age of 21 cannot make use of their LGV entitlement unless they are training for, or have taken and passed, Modules 2 and 4 (or a vocational training course equivalent).

This only affects those aged between 18 and 20 who are taking their test to drive LGVs privately, for example if they own a horsebox of over 3.5t MAM. These drivers will either have to take Modules 2 and 4, which they don’t otherwise need as they are not driving commercially, or wait until they are 21.

Most drivers taking an LGV test intend to drive LGVs commercially - this change will make no difference to them, as they already need to pass Modules 2 and 4 (unless they have acquired rights from holding C1 or C entitlement on 10 September 2009 - obviously they can’t have C1 from a pre-1997 car test as they are too young).

I’d double check.

I know the bus licence is going UP to 24!!

I can see why though, as no one would take on (agency or very few companies) an 18 - 21 year old…sadly

stagedriver:
I’d double check.

I know the bus licence is going UP to 24!!

Again, the age will be 18 if you are training for the licence or are training for initial DCPC. PCV licence holders who have DCPC will have unrestricted PCV privileges from age 20.

At age 18, a PCV licence holder with DCPC will be allowed to drive:* a PCV on a regular service of no more than 50km (am I misremembering, or is that the same definition as bus services on domestic rather than EU hours?)

• any empty PCV, and
  • a D1 vehicle (new definition: no more than 16 passenger seats and no more than 8m long) in all circumstances

assuming that they hold the appropriate licence category.

This isn’t going to make a whole lot of difference - stage fare work, which is the vast majority of PCV work, is usually on domestic hours. The only effect of these rules is that 18-20 year olds won’t be able to do the vast majority of coach work and 18-24 year olds won’t be able to drive a private PCV unless they take DCPC (or are driving on a section 19 permit under category B rules).

At the moment im 25 and im struggling to get a job. Only due to the fact i’ve not got 2+ experience. Im surprised they even put it down to 18 to start with imo.

The only good it did was earn more money for trainers and give a small few a taste of the industry and an even smaller few a shot at a job.

But back to the thing on everyones minds - You are NOT mature enough to handle a 44t artic at 18 years old!!!

I don’t care what anyone says, I got it at 18 and did not feel mature enough to be doing such a thing.

You’d have to be crazy at 18 to go out and get it, sam knows how hard it was and boy was he lucky.

stagedriver:
The only good it did was earn more money for trainers and give a small few a taste of the industry and an even smaller few a shot at a job.

But back to the thing on everyones minds - You are NOT mature enough to handle a 44t artic at 18 years old!!!

I don’t care what anyone says, I got it at 18 and did not feel mature enough to be doing such a thing.

You’d have to be crazy at 18 to go out and get it, sam knows how hard it was and boy was he lucky.

I passed at 18, got a job 6months later on rigids, at 19 got put in artic, im now nearly 21. i was perfectly capable thanks. i started the same day as a 30yr old - hes written a motor off - i havent. not all about age my friend.
Its not your age that counts its your driving mind and how mature you are.
at 18 i was doing 2/3 nights out a week while some of my mates was ■■■■■■■ there money up a wall on the lash.
end of the day were both the same age but i was alot more mature and grown up. iv got 3yrs under my belt i love it.

Young_Josh:

stagedriver:

I passed at 18, got a job 6months later on rigids, at 19 got put in artic, im now nearly 21. i was perfectly capable thanks. i started the same day as a 30yr old - hes written a motor off - i havent. not all about age my friend.
Its not your age that counts its your driving mind and how mature you are.
at 18 i was doing 2/3 nights out a week while some of my mates was ■■■■■■■ there money up a wall on the lash.
end of the day were both the same age but i was alot more mature and grown up. iv got 3yrs under my belt i love it.

Good on you mate im 18 and got an assessment drive tomorrow passed all my theories and got practical test booked 11th July can’t wait, and I’m the same go out on the lash for occasions whereas everyone my age are out every night in Liverpool.

I feel im mature and curently a chef been a chef for 6 years averaging 65 hours a week so I’m used to grafting in all my jobs. Made me happy to see this post to stick up for us young drivers

Good for you matey. Hope everything goes your way! I remember my assessment, it is real nerve racking until about 5mins in. The instructors are great, they understand you can already drive whereas in a car it was like been at school! Well with my instructor anyway!

Hope u get on the road soon. Not many of us young uns. You will hear same stories everywhere “does your mummy no your out” blah blah.
Best one was at DHL cass, an old gipper giving it big spuds about how at 19 I should be at home rolled in mummys cotton wool, not driving a death trap. Well I got out the gate with both mirrors intact …he didn’t ! :wink:

And what you don’t realise is that im not all that much older than you both.

Sorry, but I didn’t go out ■■■■■■■ my money away on booze when I was 18 and I still don’t think you have the mental ability and even I would say I was ‘mature for my age’.

The limit was set at 21 for a number of years for a reason, a very good reason.

But I do admit, there are those who can manage perfectly well.

But getting a job is not something thats easy.

For talking sake this lad who is going for an assessment. Once hes passed great. What next?

Call agencies and companies looking for work.

Whats the employer going to choose - An 18 year old with no experience, or a 30 something with a modest amount of experience?

Either frankly, but 99.99% of the time it will be the 30 year old.

I wouldn’t trust an 18 year old to go out with a machine that could kill, I look back and wonder how I managed it and how ■■■■ lucky I was.

At 18 I was driving all sorts of crazy ■■■■, by 21 I was hauling bloody yachts and diggers. Do I feel I was lucky? Yes. Do I feel I was mentally mature enough even though I was ‘more grown up than others’? No.

I don’t say this to put people off, even though I think it’s a huge waste of money to do your licence at 18 these days, because it only takes a quick glance to see how many posters have paid up to get little work, especially at such a young age.

I’ve written off motors and I’ve got police grade driving tickets…age counts for nothing, but im sorry at 18 there is just that mental ability that everyone naturally lacks.

But regardless, good luck.

stagedriver:
And what you don’t realise is that im not all that much older than you both.

Sorry, but I didn’t go out ■■■■■■■ my money away on booze when I was 18 and I still don’t think you have the mental ability and even I would say I was ‘mature for my age’.

The limit was set at 21 for a number of years for a reason, a very good reason.

But I do admit, there are those who can manage perfectly well.

But getting a job is not something thats easy.

For talking sake this lad who is going for an assessment. Once hes passed great. What next?

Call agencies and companies looking for work.

Whats the employer going to choose - An 18 year old with no experience, or a 30 something with a modest amount of experience?

Either frankly, but 99.99% of the time it will be the 30 year old.

I wouldn’t trust an 18 year old to go out with a machine that could kill, I look back and wonder how I managed it and how ■■■■ lucky I was.

At 18 I was driving all sorts of crazy [zb], by 21 I was hauling bloody yachts and diggers. Do I feel I was lucky? Yes. Do I feel I was mentally mature enough even though I was ‘more grown up than others’? No.

I don’t say this to put people off, even though I think it’s a huge waste of money to do your licence at 18 these days, because it only takes a quick glance to see how many posters have paid up to get little work, especially at such a young age.

I’ve written off motors and I’ve got police grade driving tickets…age counts for nothing, but im sorry at 18 there is just that mental ability that everyone naturally lacks.

But regardless, good luck.

I did both my HGV licenses when i was 19 but i had the chance to do it just for costs, so i have something to try find some work in while doing my degree so bit different to most. And I have to say i think that your argument just doesn’t make sense, you claim age counts for nothing, yet according to you at 18 some one doesn’t have the mental ability to drive a truck. So at what age does this mental ability just appear then?

The fact is if some one can pass the test which gets them the category on there license then they have the mental ability, regardless of age or anything else for that matter. Thats the whole purpose of having to take a driving test.

Also what makes you feel you weren’t mature enough to be driving “all sorts of crazy [zb]” at 18? Were there any incidents? And even if there where how could you blame your age?

Phil

Young_Josh:
Good for you matey. Hope everything goes your way! I remember my assessment, it is real nerve racking until about 5mins in. The instructors are great, they understand you can already drive whereas in a car it was like been at school! Well with my instructor anyway!

Hope u get on the road soon. Not many of us young uns. You will hear same stories everywhere “does your mummy no your out” blah blah.
Best one was at DHL cass, an old gipper giving it big spuds about how at 19 I should be at home rolled in mummys cotton wool, not driving a death trap. Well I got out the gate with both mirrors intact …he didn’t ! :wink:

Haha thats so true, i know people will be like, alright mate are you on your school holidays, wheres your dad? haha :smiley:

well loads of people i know including my dad 12 years ago passed with mark and they say hes good and a sound trainer so hopefully their luck will rub off on me :wink:

The maturity doesn’t just ‘appear’.

Sorry but anyone that thinks an 18 year old is the same as a 21 year old mentally is out of touch.

Im not saying all 18 year olds are like that, I agree, go and get a licence at 18 and wait till your 20/21 before you start looking for work. It is scarce for drivers with a number of years experience. But your more mature and your at an age where getting a job is actually possible around the 21 mark.

I’ve had my licences a good few years now, and when I look back to when I was that age I scare myself with the way I was. I thought I was mature enough back then, but realise I really wasn’t.

Even being a dad. My son is two now and when I think of the stuff I got upto even though people commented on ‘how mature’ I was when I was younger, I realise that I was just a daft kid. We’re not talking 10 years here.

As an example, I got stuck on the A9 in the worst winter for years when I was 19. I was stuck in the middle of no where, no signal and no night out gear for 3 days. I was stuck helping a driver that had a sheet of ice go through his windscreen. No ambulances could get near us as the entire road was closed - Nothing could move let alone get up the hill.

Does an 18 year old know how to survive in that alone never mind help a colleague whos face is bleeding badly?

But perhaps think of it this way…If an 18 year old IS mature enough to drive wagons - Then why do insurance companies do everything they can to say no? You’d have thought they would be in the best position to say whos capeable and whos not…

No I can’t agree. If that examiner thinks your good enough to be given a licence that’s enough for me. My examiner was an ex tramper of 27yrs so if he says im mature and capable enough il go on his word not yours.

And at 19 I was on days in winter, but knowing what a crappy winter we was having I was mature enough to take night gear, hot food and a snow shovel. Got stuck with 4 other lads, next day all dug each other out.
End of the day iv been in the passenger seat nearly all my life, skipped school to go with my dad. I can guarantee I no more about the job then most 18-25 yr olds. I was reversing in the yard and on.docks from been a kid. Age is nothing its boils down to capability then experience.

In insurance eyes 21 is still no good.18-23 will get insured with one big excess.23+ is usually fine

You know I did say not all 18 year olds.

Josh for example has it in his blood with his old man to kick him up the arse.

Having an examiner with you is all well and good, but when you get in that seat alone and you forget something…

So to go over this again as I seem to be making some cry. Not all 18 - 21 year olds are the same. The majority think they are mature, however are not in the eyes of someone who has been there and done it. A small minority, for example josh - Are mature enough, including from an adults point of view.