Drawbar class 2?

Hi
I have been asked to drive a drawbar vehicle a few times now but gave refused as I have not been trained on them.
They are the type where you have the cab and an empty trailer and drawbar.
you then reverse under a box for the front and then the same for the rear empty frame some how you lift the boxes and on your way.

can I drive these on my class 2 ?

Nope.
That’s the type of vehicle I was trained on for Class1 (C+E).
On Class2 (C) licence you can tow up to 750kg trailer.

NO. The only Class 2 (CAT C) drivers who can are those who passed their truck test before 1997. They had drawbar entitlement automatically.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

My appologies!
■■■■.
So much priorities for those pre 1997 :smiley:

Peter Smythe:
NO. The only Class 2 (CAT C) drivers who can are those who passed their truck test before 1997. They had drawbar entitlement automatically.

1991 was the W&D free entitlement cut off - or was it 1991 or 1992 … one of those !

Oh thanks.
I have cat C1E on my licence.
But I only passed my Cat C in Nov last year.
Does this mean I can drive them ?

valks1:
Oh thanks.

Bet its a pre 1997 C1+E with a 107 restriction code

A 107 code means that when you add up the GVW of the towing vehicle and the plated MAM of the trailer together they must not total more than 8250 kgs - that is the total of the two plated weights not the actual weights

1991 was the W&D free entitlement cut off - or was it 1991 or 1992 … one of those !

Hate to admit it, but I think you’re right ROG. Got 97 firmly fixed in my head but wrong rules.

No harm done. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Hate to admit it, but I think you’re right ROG. Got 97 firmly fixed in my head but wrong rules.

No harm done. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I seem to think it was 1-04-91 because I passed my class 2 then just before the rules changed.

I then qualified for class 1 with the artic restriction. (107) restriction.

Paul

elmet training:

I like being pedantic today … 102 code

ROG:

elmet training:

I like being pedantic today … 102 code

Off course Rog :smiley:

Paul

ROG:

Peter Smythe:

we
i do belive the date was 01/06/90 was the date when hgv became lgv and that was the end of class 1, and 2 as we stil call it and welcome cat c, ce etc

valks1:
Oh thanks.

Don’t think anyone answered you directly amid the debate that followed!

To drive that, you need C+E. If you passed C last year (like me), you will not have that.

Some folk with older licenses will have C+E with a restriction so they can ONLY drive rigs like you describe and not artics. But I’m 99% sure you don’t.

If you take a test in one of those, you can also drive artics afterwards. But you are right to refuse, unless your license has C+E on it.

C1+E is not sufficient for that vehicle due to the weight.

EDIT several people said this at the beginning, but not after you asked that question!

2014-06-18 20.59.50.jpg
This is the type of unit.
I think the prime mover is 7.5t plus the trailer.
These then have boxes load on to them.

valks1:
This is the type of unit.
I think the prime mover is 7.5t plus the trailer.
These then have boxes load on to them.

I am trying to see how many nuts each wheel has as that is often a guide to whether its a 7.5 or not - not a hard and fast rule but a good guide
6 nuts - 7.5
8 nuts - 7.5 to 15
10 nuts 15+

Those look like they have more than 6 nuts but the photo or my eyesight is not that good for me to determine the number

My guess is that they are IRO 12 tonne gross, 22 tonne train.

Peter Smythe:

C+E required if they are

valks1:
Hi
I have been asked to drive a drawbar vehicle a few times now but gave refused as I have not been trained on them.
They are the type where you have the cab and an empty trailer and drawbar.
you then reverse under a box for the front and then the same for the rear empty frame some how you lift the boxes and on your way.

can I drive these on my class 2 ?

Can only assume your on agency as surely any employer would know what entitlement you have on your licence !!!

An agency should also know but above all so should YOU.

Ok thanks for all the help.
Thanks Boo9729 for your positive helpful attitude.

Thanks

Peter Smythe:

Are DAF CFs (like those units) ever plated at less than 18 tonnes? I have never seen one. Would they plate them at less than that just to transport them without boxes, to save a few quid on hiring a class 1 driver?