Dpd Driving Assessment.

TruckDriverBen:
However the job is good here, your just a number kind of company

Personally I’ve never understood why people have such an issue with the whole “you’re just a number” when it comes to employment. You go to work to earn money at the end of the day - big or small company.

Some drivers really do delude themselves that just because they work for a “small family firm” and “know the boss on first name terms” that they are onto the best thing since sliced bread over the large national/international companies.

I currently work for DHL on one of their contracts, in the past I have worked for Tesco, Wincanton (Argos contract), Co-op to name a few. Sure, I didn’t personally know the chief execs or higher ups in those companies. But I knew who my boss/personnel/office staff were within my depot and that’s all that matters as far as my day to day employment with the companies went. I went with those jobs because they paid good money and offered decent hours/start times and that’s all that’s important to me.

tmcassett:

TruckDriverBen:

Personally I’ve never understood why people have such an issue with the whole “you’re just a number” when it comes to employment. You go to work to earn money at the end of the day - big or small company.

Some drivers really do delude themselves that just because they work for a “small family firm” and “know the boss on first name terms” that they are onto the best thing since sliced bread over the large national/international companies.

I currently work for DHL on one of their contracts, in the past I have worked for Tesco, Wincanton (Argos contract), Co-op to name a few. Sure, I didn’t personally know the chief execs or higher ups in those companies. But I knew who my boss/personnel/office staff were within my depot and that’s all that matters as far as my day to day employment with the companies went. I went with those jobs because they paid good money and offered decent hours/start times and that’s all that’s important to me.

I don’t think it’s the “you’re just a number” thing. I think it’s more to do with your treatment at these places. Most of them are staffed by clueless kids with worthless degrees in “logistics” who think nothing of speaking to/treating you like a piece of [zb] if you don’t do exactly what they say, which is often unrealistic expectations without a care for your personal life outside of work, eg. running you to 15s every day because the law says they can.

I’m sure you’re about to counter that by saying it’s never happened to you, but the simple fact is that there are people who like to work independently using their own brain and initiative where required, which tends to go hand in hand with the smaller companies and you’re treated like a fellow human being, and there are those people who generally cannot think for themselves or don’t want to think for themselves (typically ex-police, ex-forces types) - the type of people who love H&S, following rules and being told what to do - these will prefer the likes of nanny companies like DHL and the other big logistics companies.

There is no right or wrong answer. People like working in different environments. Personally, working for DHL would be my idea of hell and I’d likely be arrested for assault after slapping the H&S guy who collars me for walking across an empty, deserted yard rather than walking 10 miles around the entire site inside their stupid yellow lines.

DCPCFML:

tmcassett:

TruckDriverBen:

I don’t think it’s the “you’re just a number” thing. I think it’s more to do with your treatment at these places. Most of them are staffed by clueless kids with worthless degrees in “logistics” who think nothing of speaking to/treating you like a piece of [zb] if you don’t do exactly what they say, which is often unrealistic expectations without a care for your personal life outside of work, eg. running you to 15s every day because the law says they can.

I’m sure you’re about to counter that by saying it’s never happened to you, but the simple fact is that there are people who like to work independently using their own brain and initiative where required, which tends to go hand in hand with the smaller companies and you’re treated like a fellow human being, and there are those people who generally cannot think for themselves or don’t want to think for themselves (typically ex-police, ex-forces types) - the type of people who love H&S, following rules and being told what to do - these will prefer the likes of nanny companies like DHL and the other big logistics companies.

There is no right or wrong answer. People like working in different environments. Personally, working for DHL would be my idea of hell and I’d likely be arrested for assault after slapping the H&S guy who collars me for walking across an empty, deserted yard rather than walking 10 miles around the entire site inside their stupid yellow lines.

What treatment? I turn up at my start time, get given my run for the day, do it, go home, pretty simple really. I’ve never been spoken to like crap and we aren’t run ragged with 15 hour days. In fact I’m contracted to 43 hours a week over 5 days and barely get over 45 most weeks. My record low was 29 hours but paid for 43 one week.

Also I’m treated like and spoken to as a human being, this was kind of the point I was trying to make. You can’t just tarnish all large companies with the same brush.

I’m neither ex forces/police nor need to be “told” what to do.

tmcassett:
What treatment? I turn up at my start time, get given my run for the day, do it, go home, pretty simple really. I’ve never been spoken to like crap and we aren’t run ragged with 15 hour days. In fact I’m contracted to 43 hours a week over 5 days and barely get over 45 most weeks. My record low was 29 hours but paid for 43 one week.

Also I’m treated like and spoken to as a human being, this was kind of the point I was trying to make. You can’t just tarnish all large companies with the same brush.

I’m neither ex forces/police nor need to be “told” what to do.

You seem to be suffering from the same reading issues that Carry[zb]all suffers from. Note the use of the words “most”, “generally” etc. Most drivers generally don’t like working for those type of places because what I describe is often how you get treated by the staff. Most drivers won’t take kindly to being hauled in the office and given a dressing down for doing a perfectly legal 58mph on the overrun because some spotty 18 year old has been scrutinising the Microlise report. I like to go down hills at whatever speed I fancy within reason, without being treated like a naughty schoolboy by some jobsworth who doesn’t know one end of a truck from the other. If that kind of treatment works for you - great, I’m happy for you. :smiley:

http://www.simplyhired.co.uk/job/

robthedog:

http://www.simplyhired.co.uk/job/

“Must have, or be willing to get Business Insurance cover on own vehicle”

:confused: :question: :question: :question:

“Will be out 4 nights per week”

TruckDriverBen:
Extra driver are paying the most so it’s worthwhile to work with them

Thanks for repiles from both, will check it out.

TruckDriverBen:
Extra driver are paying the most so it’s worthwhile to work with them

Really, not according to their latest advert?

Anyone recommend a decent agency round the Manchester area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCPCFML:

I’ll answer your second question first. Yes, you’ll be away 4 nights per week. This is what tramping is.

The business insurance is because you need to commute to a different depot each week. One week you might be covering a driver on holiday in Croydon who runs in to Hub 4. So you clock in at your hub then drive your own car down to Croydon, pick up the holidaying drivers truck then run it back up to Hub 4. Tip and reload then back to Croydon to sleep in the unit 4 nights per week. Friday night is same but in reverse.

Basic insurance only covers a commute to a single location. Direct Line include Class 1 business use anyway.

And they pay 33p per mile from hub to depot. So if the depot is 100 mile away they pay £66. Far above what the fuel will cost.

Terry T:

DCPCFML:

I’ll answer your second question first. Yes, you’ll be away 4 nights per week. This is what tramping is.

The business insurance is because you need to commute to a different depot each week. One week you might be covering a driver on holiday in Croydon who runs in to Hub 4. So you clock in at your hub then drive your own car down to Croydon, pick up the holidaying drivers truck then run it back up to Hub 4. Tip and reload then back to Croydon to sleep in the unit 4 nights per week. Friday night is same but in reverse.

Basic insurance only covers a commute to a single location. Direct Line include Class 1 business use anyway.

And they pay 33p per mile from hub to depot. So if the depot is 100 mile away they pay £66. Far above what the fuel will cost.

Does in the cab in a depot sounds great
Business mileage should be paid at .45ppm

Terry T:

DCPCFML:

What are the shift lengths on average on tramping?

Swordsy:
All this talk of stopping and timed loads etc…its BS…you leave an hour earlier…trailer gets there…trailer is hour late…trailer gets there…it really isnt that 'time sensitive. its a 2 deck trailer full of random parcels…i had a trailer defect other day, was delayed by 3 hours…no big deal…trailer arrived 3 hours late…i got 3 hours more overtime…happy days…

Yes and so did every other driver as none of them could leave until your trailer was unloaded and sorted. :unamused:

DCPCFML:

Swordsy:
All this talk of stopping and timed loads etc…its BS…you leave an hour earlier…trailer gets there…trailer is hour late…trailer gets there…it really isnt that 'time sensitive. its a 2 deck trailer full of random parcels…i had a trailer defect other day, was delayed by 3 hours…no big deal…trailer arrived 3 hours late…i got 3 hours more overtime…happy days…

Yes and so did every other driver as none of them could leave until your trailer was unloaded and sorted. :unamused:

when you are returning to a depot…its van drivers leaving at 5-6am…

arriving back at 00.00, or 01.00 or 02.00…they still get unloaded and sorted.

no big deal

simplyhired.co.uk/job/t1D13y … 00&from=ja

They must be getting desperate as there advertising every other day, no mention of wonga in this ad

That advert is for DHL.

Terry T:

DCPCFML:

Let’s get the pedantry out of the way first… :grimacing: doing the same trunk 4 or five times a week and kipping in a tin box in the yard, is not tramping.

And breathe…

As for using my car to travel to a different depot every week, for £0.33 per mile. Not a change. Extra insurance, wear and tear, tyres, no way Jose.
Get me the unit in the depot where I start, and I’ll bobtail to the depot…

DPD Group UK

Leeds

Salary £48,000 a year

Full Job Description
Company Description

DPD is the fastest growing express parcel delivery company in the UK, with a turnover over £1 billion. Voted the nation’s favourite parcel carrier for the last 7 years, we have a very clear strategy to support our enviable position. We will deliver the best service, use the best technology and recruit and retain the best people in the industry.

Job Description

As a front line member of our Linehaul team you’ll be making bulk collections/ deliveries from our nationwide network of depots and some of our biggest customers. You’ll need a flexible outlook, a friendly personality and smart appearance and the desire to deliver world class customer service.

Qualifications

1 year LGV C+E experience is required.

You MUST have:

A valid UK Driving Licence with CE entitlement
A valid UK CPC card
A valid UK Digital Tachograph Card

Additional Information

As a Tramping Driver, you:

Will work any 5 from 7 shifts with variable start and finish times

Will have a desire to work Afternoon /Night shifts

Will be covering holiday or sickness periods

Must have, or be willing to get Business Insurance cover on own vehicle