Dpd Driving Assessment.

yourhavingalarf:

mbax81:
Must have, or be willing to get Business Insurance cover on own vehicle

Eh?..

Wassat all about?

I’ve no idea! I just came across it on indeed.

mbax81:

yourhavingalarf:

mbax81:

Eh?..

Wassat all about?

No worries…

Anyone else got any ideas?

yourhavingalarf:

mbax81:

yourhavingalarf:

mbax81:

Eh?..

Wassat all about?

No worries…

Anyone else got any ideas?

Its on your car insurance, to cover driving to different depots, because you’ll be using your own car, for (their) business purposes…

Next in adverts, please bring your own diesel.
Own tyre contract not essential, but advantageous.

The job is for ‘relief’ drivers. You cover an area around your base depot…eg…based at Sheffield, covering Doncaster, Bradford, Leeds, Wakefield, Goole. You provide cover for drivers holidays or sickness leave. You get told the previous week where you will be based and you have to drive to that depot hence the business use insurance cover for your car. You then spend the week running out of that depot covering that depots drivers run, sleeping each night at that depot in the unit when you get back. Each depot has toilets and shower facilities and kitchen, so its actually a pretty good set up for ‘tramping’. You also get the choice of motors at that depot, usually 21 or 70 plates.

If you are single, or happy to tramp, its good money for not a lot of work really. Not for me as I prefer going home each night!

the nodding donkey:
Its on your car insurance, to cover driving to different depots, because you’ll be using your own car, for (their) business purposes…

Oh right…

I see. Yeh, business insurance required but, shouldn’t DPD pay for it?

Blagg it not like the police will know unless your involved in a serious collision and kill someone but then again your mostly likely dead too

yourhavingalarf:

the nodding donkey:

Oh right…

I see. Yeh, business insurance required but, shouldn’t DPD pay for it?

Duhh4… :grimacing:

Swordsy:
That advert is for DHL.

oh yeah my mistake, I only saw D and I was bored already at that point

the nodding donkey:

Terry T:

DCPCFML:
“Must have, or be willing to get Business Insurance cover on own vehicle”

:confused: :question: :question: :question:

“Will be out 4 nights per week”

I’ll answer your second question first. Yes, you’ll be away 4 nights per week. This is what tramping is.

The business insurance is because you need to commute to a different depot each week. One week you might be covering a driver on holiday in Croydon who runs in to Hub 4. So you clock in at your hub then drive your own car down to Croydon, pick up the holidaying drivers truck then run it back up to Hub 4. Tip and reload then back to Croydon to sleep in the unit 4 nights per week. Friday night is same but in reverse.

Basic insurance only covers a commute to a single location. Direct Line include Class 1 business use anyway.

And they pay 33p per mile from hub to depot. So if the depot is 100 mile away they pay £66. Far above what the fuel will cost.

Let’s get the pedantry out of the way first… :grimacing: doing the same trunk 4 or five times a week and kipping in a tin box in the yard, is not tramping.

And breathe…

As for using my car to travel to a different depot every week, for £0.33 per mile. Not a change. Extra insurance, wear and tear, tyres, no way Jose.
Get me the unit in the depot where I start, and I’ll bobtail to the depot…

My company provide a hire car on one way hire when we need to get to a different depot, and another at the end of the week to get you back. Apparently Its cheaper than paying mileage, and avoids any insurance issues. Hire company collect and deliver vehicles.

Swordsy:
The job is for ‘relief’ drivers. You cover an area around your base depot…eg…based at Sheffield, covering Doncaster, Bradford, Leeds, Wakefield, Goole. You provide cover for drivers holidays or sickness leave. You get told the previous week where you will be based and you have to drive to that depot hence the business use insurance cover for your car. You then spend the week running out of that depot covering that depots drivers run, sleeping each night at that depot in the unit when you get back. Each depot has toilets and shower facilities and kitchen, so its actually a pretty good set up for ‘tramping’. You also get the choice of motors at that depot, usually 21 or 70 plates.

If you are single, or happy to tramp, its good money for not a lot of work really. Not for me as I prefer going home each night!

I don’t see it as attractive at all. All the onus is on you to get business insurance, wear and tear on your own vehicle, fuel costs (tax relief only) and then sleeping in a low roof, poverty spec merc with no space, through the daytime when it’s 20C+ outside and no aircon pod. Yeah, sounds great. I couldn’t give a toss that the truck reg plates start with a 21 or 70.

Why don’t they just use a good reliable bunch of local agency drivers at each depot they need cover for instead of this retarded concoction they’ve dreamed up? Or if they can’t/won’t do that for security reasons, use vetted subbies like all the other parcel companies use to cover holidays and extra workload.

TruckDriverBen:
Blagg it not like the police will know unless your involved in a serious collision and kill someone but then again your mostly likely dead too

Last time I had “business use” on my policy (but not including carriage of goods for reward or “commercial travelling”) it only added a tenner or so to the premium. Hardly seems worth the risk, especially as it could easily bite you on the bum if your car got stolen while parked up miles away from home for a week.

DCPCFML:

Swordsy:

I don’t see it as attractive at all. All the onus is on you to get business insurance, wear and tear on your own vehicle, fuel costs (tax relief only) and then sleeping in a low roof, poverty spec merc with no space, through the daytime when it’s 20C+ outside and no aircon pod. Yeah, sounds great. I couldn’t give a toss that the truck reg plates start with a 21 or 70.

Why don’t they just use a good reliable bunch of local agency drivers at each depot they need cover for instead of this retarded concoction they’ve dreamed up? Or if they can’t/won’t do that for security reasons, use vetted subbies like all the other parcel companies use to cover holidays and extra workload.

And the answer to this is…dont apply…

You think its garbage…others dont…so there you go.

I hear countless tales on here of garbage jobs paying 9-10 quid an hour, doing hard work, general haulage driving into ■■■■■■■■■ all over the country, parking in laybys…

I have an easy life…easy run…very generous pay…4-5 hours a day watching tv/playing games…home every night…

But yes, others prefer the ‘challenge’ of going to ■■■■■■■■■ day in day out…

So for that ‘‘tramping’’ job - couple of questions. 1st they say avg earnings £48k/p.a. does that include night out money (even though it’s apparently day out as you’ll be driving at night and sleeping during the day…) or the £ for transport? 2nd if you have to cover someone for longer than a single week say 2-3 weeks in a row, where do you spend the weekend? In the other depot/city? WHat if you want to get home, will they pay .33 per mile or a train ticket or something or do you pay for that youself? What’s their OT policy/rate?

ETS:
So for that ‘‘tramping’’ job - couple of questions. 1st they say avg earnings £48k/p.a. does that include night out money (even though it’s apparently day out as you’ll be driving at night and sleeping during the day…) or the £ for transport? 2nd if you have to cover someone for longer than a single week say 2-3 weeks in a row, where do you spend the weekend? In the other depot/city? WHat if you want to get home, will they pay .33 per mile or a train ticket or something or do you pay for that youself? What’s their OT policy/rate?

All good questions, and one’s that’ll be answered at an interview I dare say. Then, armed with that information and (if you’re fortunate) a job offer, you’re free to accept or decline as you see fit.

trucken:

the nodding donkey:

Terry T:

DCPCFML:
“Must have, or be willing to get Business Insurance cover on own vehicle”

“Will be out 4 nights per week”

I’ll answer your second question first. Yes, you’ll be away 4 nights per week. This is what tramping is.

The business insurance is because you need to commute to a different depot each week. One week you might be covering a driver on holiday in Croydon who runs in to Hub 4. So you clock in at your hub then drive your own car down to Croydon, pick up the holidaying drivers truck then run it back up to Hub 4. Tip and reload then back to Croydon to sleep in the unit 4 nights per week. Friday night is same but in reverse.

Basic insurance only covers a commute to a single location. Direct Line include Class 1 business use anyway.

And they pay 33p per mile from hub to depot. So if the depot is 100 mile away they pay £66. Far above what the fuel will cost.

Let’s get the pedantry out of the way first… :grimacing: doing the same trunk 4 or five times a week and kipping in a tin box in the yard, is not tramping.

And breathe…

As for using my car to travel to a different depot every week, for £0.33 per mile. Not a change. Extra insurance, wear and tear, tyres, no way Jose.
Get me the unit in the depot where I start, and I’ll bobtail to the depot…

My company provide a hire car on one way hire when we need to get to a different depot, and another at the end of the week to get you back. Apparently Its cheaper than paying mileage, and avoids any insurance issues. Hire company collect and deliver vehicles.

Good solution it seems

LazyDriver:

ETS:

All good questions, and one’s that’ll be answered at an interview I dare say. Then, armed with that information and (if you’re fortunate) a job offer, you’re free to accept or decline as you see fit.

See that’s why I’m posting them here - I don’t want to spend a day doing the CV/cards thing then scheduling an assessment/interview, driving there to attend these at my own time and expense and then back only to be told that 48k is all inclusive and I have to pay for my own accomodation/trasnportation on weekends plus no weekly hr guarantee. I suspect there are people on here who have done that or worked for them so if they’re kind enough to share the information it would save the rest of us time and £ and disappointment :wink:

£19 an hour 10 hours guaranteed with agency in Liverpool depot, but God it’s mind numbing work. Monotonous repetitive ■■■■■■

“1.0
Job work-life balance
Salary/Benefits
Job security/advancement
Management
Job culture
Not a true tramping job
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) - Nottingham, Nottinghamshire - 20 June 2021
Expected to to stay in the yard during the day with no facilities and can’t stop when out to have a shower and rhe cabs are basic not even a fridge so no where to keep food and no where to wash if you treat an animal like this there would be an uproar
Pros
None
Cons
Everything”

from a popular job site since you guys wanted more info on there advert