Dpd Driving Assessment.

tmcassett:

Truckulent:
No stopping? That means “no using the toilet”

As long as the non driving staff only use the toilet once every 4.5 hours I’ll comply.

Otherwise [zb] off you arrogant [zb].

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I think an element of common sense needs to be exercised. If you have a 4.5 hour drive somewhere and need the toilet, then stop and go to the toilet as that’s your basic human right and it’s not unreasonable to expect you may need the toilet within 4.5 hours.

If you need a code as you’ve stopped then what’s the issue? I’m guessing it will be because the load will be timed and the office will need to put reason down on the system why the load was late arriving. I can’t imagine its something they are going to use as a weapon to beat you with and sack you.

No common sense is being exercised by the planners if you stopping for 5 mins for a pee causes an issue.

You reap what you sow as a company. Treat drivers like thick idiots - and that’s the kind if driver you’ll end up with.

tmcassett:

Truckulent:

As long as the non driving staff only use the toilet once every 4.5 hours I’ll comply.

I think an element of common sense needs to be exercised. If you have a 4.5 hour drive somewhere and need the toilet, then stop and go to the toilet as that’s your basic human right and it’s not unreasonable to expect you may need the toilet within 4.5 hours.

If you need a code as you’ve stopped then what’s the issue? I’m guessing it will be because the load will be timed and the office will need to put reason down on the system why the load was late arriving. I can’t imagine its something they are going to use as a weapon to beat you with and sack you.

But you have just pointed out everything that is wrong with the job,.and how it has turned to crap.
A grown up basically asking g permission to go to the khazi.
The load as you say timed…to the last minute,.so much so it is deemed ‘late’ if the driver has the gall to stop for a ■■■■.
This must have started sometime,. it should have been nipped in the bud,.and not continued to the point where some people think it is normal, and reasonable,…and are actually trying to justify it. :open_mouth:

This is why drivers die of bowel and bladder cancer because firms like this put profits before the health of drivers and become very rich out of it , if you want to go to the loo, go to the loo, I am not risking my health for some tat in the trailer they get off the internet.
There is no toilet in the cockpit of commercial and private aircraft but they still need the loo , nobody bats an eyelid when see pilots using the loo .

tmcassett:

Truckulent:

This question of “stop codes” cropped up on another thread a little while ago. As I said on that thread, it’s not a case of ‘Asking for permission to go to the toilet’ - rather it is the driver informing someone in the office that there has been an unscheduled delay and that office person has, by issuing the “stop code” taken responsibility for ensuring that the people who need to know of this unplanned delay (however short) have been informed. It’s not really a restriction on the driver, rather it is his “Get Out Of Jail Card” as responsibility for any consequential delays are formally transferred to the pointy-shoe wearer in the office by the issuing of the code. This sort of system is pretty much essential when your whole business model is based on delivering valuable packages to very tight next-day schedules.

Of course, drivers won’t see it that way and will routinely wait until they get to their destination depot to mention the delay (or other issue) because they think they know best because they’ve been doing the job for years and yada, yada and what does the PFY in the office know anyway…

robroy:
Ok thanks for the constructive reply this time. :smiley:

I think your free thinking brain may have deceived you on this occasion. The first responder was not I :laughing:

robroy:
As for the actual searching? :open_mouth:
Some grubby lttle toe rag in a security uniform feeling you up as he rifles through your pocket is a step too far,.whatever their reasons.

Maybe in days gone by they had mini hitlers making you ‘assume the position’ but at these hubs the security is exactly as the previous poster stated, airport-like. You pass through a metal detecting arch, while the contents of your pockets/bags are put in plastic trays.

robroy:
you have reason to believe I’m a potential thief rather than a pro driver in your employment, call the Police.
Like I said mate…not for me.

At hub 4 in Hinkley, the only hub I’ve worked where you need to go into the warehouse, there is one of these metal detecting arches on the main pedestrian exit. There is also one on the exit from the warehouse that leads to the main exit/canteen/offices etc. But there is another exit that leads to the smoking area and the side where dispatching trucks are parked, this has no such security. Now, having only worked on a RDC-HUB-RDC route, I and a good many other drivers never use the main pedestrian exit at a hub. (there are no such security checks at the RDC’s) you may well be inclined to sumise that an exit route that is predominantly used by warehouse staff has 2 ‘chechpoint charlies’ whereas an exit route used exclusively by drivers has none, where does this company think the dishonesty problems are and what do they think of professional drivers?
One last point (in response to the ‘too much experience’ narrative in this thread) as an agency driver, I’ve never had an assessment nor have I been boarded in a recruitment interview so my experience, either lack of or excessive has never been an issue. :smiling_imp:

Roymondo:

tmcassett:

Truckulent:

This question of “stop codes” cropped up on another thread a little while ago. As I said on that thread, it’s not a case of ‘Asking for permission to go to the toilet’ - rather it is the driver informing someone in the office that there has been an unscheduled delay and that office person has, by issuing the “stop code” taken responsibility for ensuring that the people who need to know of this unplanned delay (however short) have been informed. It’s not really a restriction on the driver, rather it is his “Get Out Of Jail Card” as responsibility for any consequential delays are formally transferred to the pointy-shoe wearer in the office by the issuing of the code. This sort of system is pretty much essential when your whole business model is based on delivering valuable packages to very tight next-day schedules.

Of course, drivers won’t see it that way and will routinely wait until they get to their destination depot to mention the delay (or other issue) because they think they know best because they’ve been doing the job for years and yada, yada and what does the PFY in the office know anyway…

DPD deliver parcels not crucial blood supplies or donor organs.

I’m sure folks’ tat from Amazon can stand a 5 minute delay over a 3 or 4 hour journey without everyone having a paddy over it.

In my experience, trying to micro manage a delivery time to within 5 minutes, given the UK’s rather delay prone road system is folly of the first degree. It’s setting yourself up for failure before you’ve started.

Il Start posting one dpd fact every day:

If you overspeed 56mph you will have to sign a form and say sorry I got caught doing 58mph for longer than a minute.

Even though coaches do 60mph I ws driving coaches and was 62mph

TruckDriverBen:

If you overspeed 56mph you will have to sign a form and say sorry I got caught doing 58mph for longer than a minute.

The DPD drivers on the M1 don’t seem to worry about such things. Had it plenty of times where they’re doing 60+ down the hill to Meadowhall and the same after Tibshelf.

DCPCFML:

TruckDriverBen:

The DPD drivers on the M1 don’t seem to worry about such things. Had it plenty of times where they’re doing 60+ down the hill to Meadowhall and the same after Tibshelf.

Have a glance at their clothing more then likely they won’t have uniform and will be agency be seriously they are ■■■■ with speed plus microlise records

DCPCFML:

TruckDriverBen:

As long as they let it roll and don’t keep dabbing the brakes, sitting in the middle lane, I don’t care a hit.

TruckDriverBen:

DCPCFML:

TruckDriverBen:

Have a glance at their clothing more then likely they won’t have uniform and will be agency be seriously they are ■■■■ with speed plus microlise records

You’d think they’d be encouraging their drivers to let them do 70 down the hills. They need all the run up they can get for the next hill with the gutless lawn-mower engines they all have in them.

Truckulent:

Roymondo:

tmcassett:

Truckulent:

DPD deliver parcels not crucial blood supplies or donor organs.

I’m sure folks’ tat from Amazon can stand a 5 minute delay over a 3 or 4 hour journey without everyone having a paddy over it.

In my experience, trying to micro manage a delivery time to within 5 minutes, given the UK’s rather delay prone road system is folly of the first degree. It’s setting yourself up for failure before you’ve started.

This ^^^^^.

Work for them a couple of shifts a week via agency. Would,nt work anywhere else.

[/quote]
Having just finished my first year there…
Times ive been hauled in office for a telling off…zero.
Times Ive been rung up by office to be harassed…zero.
Amount of gifts for working through Covid…lost count
Covid bonuses paid to me…>2 grand.
Free meals at hub to say thankyou…over a dozen
Amount of times my microlise scores have been mentioned to me…zero.

I can go weeks without even seeing office staff or speaking to them. I do this thing called ‘getting on with your job’. I do everything properly, do all my checks, and I get treated like an adult as they can obviously see that they dont need to micro-manage me!

I had a DPD do over 60mph down the hill to 28 last night and if that were not enough of a crime-of-a-century, he only went and … stopped at Tibshelf services!!! I hope he has permission from the managers and obtained his authorisation codes !!! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Swordsy:

Having just finished my first year there…
Times ive been hauled in office for a telling off…zero.
Times Ive been rung up by office to be harassed…zero.
Amount of gifts for working through Covid…lost count
Covid bonuses paid to me…>2 grand.
Free meals at hub to say thankyou…over a dozen
Amount of times my microlise scores have been mentioned to me…zero.

I can go weeks without even seeing office staff or speaking to them. I do this thing called ‘getting on with your job’. I do everything properly, do all my checks, and I get treated like an adult as they can obviously see that they dont need to micro-manage me!
[/quote]
Exactly this above.

I work for one of those dreaded “logistics” companies DHL on one of their contracts for a high street retailer. Best job, money and hours I’ve had in 10 years in this industry.

We too have microlise, trackers, outward facing cameras etc. I’ve been there nearly 2 years and never had anything mentioned to me once in all that time. Sure, they are really ■■■■ about h&s like a lot of more modern companies. However all that usually equates to is having a bit of paper shoved in your face every other day to read and sign - no hardship really and takes 30 seconds of your time.

I think a lot of drivers, particularly the more old school ones see these things and automatically equate it to being treated like a child or “micro managed” just because things were different “back then”

What’s a good agency to go through for one of their Hinckley hubs?

Extra Drivers
Nexus People
Ignition Recruitment
ARC

From Nexus People
Hi all,

There will be guarenteed shifts at DPD Hinckley until 2022.

This means we can guarentee 5//6 shifts every week until next year.

We are currently offering a £250.00 sign up fee for new drivers, £250.00 for returning drivers and £250.00 for refer a friend.

Please get in touch if you are interested.

Many thanks,

Fill your boots exit

Extra driver are paying the most so it’s worthwhile to work with them

However the job is good here, your just a number kind of company