Downton, poor poor pay

Form an orderly queue please…

downton.co.uk/vacancies/duns … to-friday/

Who would work for p*ss poor pay like this?

I would say thats average pay mon-fri but weekend pay is poor wait till eagerbeaver comes on he will tell us its the best job ever.

It’s not something I’d be interested in, but for anyone who’s just passed their test, there’s a hell of a lot worse places to start out. It’s 25% above minimum wage, so better than most. The only problems I can see, are a lack of ot rate, poor night out money, and the weekend rate is atrocious. Typical tramping really, gotta max hours to earn a good wage.

Colin_scottish:
I would say thats average pay mon-fri but weekend pay is poor wait till eagerbeaver comes on he will tell us its the best job ever.

So £9 per hour with no enhanced overtime rate is average? No wonder young people don’t want to come into this industry. Unbelievable.

Dreadful money…

“All levels of experience are welcomed. Those recently qualified please feel free to apply.” = cos we are soooo desperate we’ll take ANYONE on.

“Fully flexible” = you’ll never see yer front door again if we have our way.

Crap firm all around of the 100 or so ex c&h drivers that went over to them thers only a handfull left even 30 year service men

The depots up north are on the same money…
It’s average for up here in my experience…
This firm will always get mixed reviews from drivers and ex drivers.
Trucks are maintained spot on and a defect is sorted asap at the depot I was at.

yorkshire terrier:
Trucks are maintained spot on and a defect is sorted asap at the depot I was at.

Truck maintanance isnt a bonus its should be the norm . I doesnt say much if the best you can say is that the maintanance is good . Its not maintained for your benefit .

yorkshire terrier:
It’s average for up here in my experience.

^^ WOW!! I’ll do it for £8 per hour!! Surely that’s just the basics of running a transport company, isn’t it? :smiley:

Mickey mouse:

yorkshire terrier:
It’s average for up here in my experience.

^^ WOW!! I’ll do it for £8 per hour!! Surely that’s just the basics of running a transport company, isn’t it? :smiley:

That’s the only bit they get right in my experience with them…

chester1:

yorkshire terrier:

Truck maintanance isnt a bonus its should be the norm . I doesnt say much if the best you can say is that the maintanance is good . Its not maintained for your benefit .

Was just pointing out that sadly that is the only positive about them in my time there

As said above, if you are a freshly qualified Driver then it’ll do to gain experience but that does seem low for the area.

Round here (very close to Dunstable ) class 1 is paying £11/12ph on agency £14/15 + for weekends.

yorkshire terrier:
The depots up north are on the same money.

National wage agreements never seem to make much sense.It might be a live able wage in Newcastle but not so good in Bedfordshire.Although they are also probably taking advantage of relative savings in commuting costs regards a tramping job v a trunking job for example.

I work for less albeit with slightly better bait and switch expenses.

Good job for anyone looking to get on the ladder and give it a go, needs to be plenty of hours though but that’s why we do the job.

Those who just truck for money need not apply, those who actually enjoy trucking and fancy taking home 550 to 600+ notes a week for loads of hours fill ya boots.

Edit: After some quick calculations on me fingers and toes I work for about the same albeit with no load interaction.

Sure the other perks are similar I.e. pension, share scheme, pretty offices lasses.

I’m not on much more,although my overtime rates are quite a bit better.
As said…might not be too bad in the north,where a 2 bed end terrace does’nt cost half a mil :wink:

In fact…my flat rate is less :open_mouth:

yourhavingalarf:
Dreadful money…

“Fully flexible” = you’ll never see yer front door again if we have our way.

That made me chuckle :grimacing: :grimacing:

Mickey mouse:

Colin_scottish:

So £9 per hour with no enhanced overtime rate is average? No wonder young people don’t want to come into this industry. Unbelievable.

So mouse how much should there pay be and whats the going rate in your area.I know in glasgow the pay at times is bad but as a new driver who wants to start out its a good start with no experiance.

We aren’t far from Dunstable and I wouldn’t expect anyone to answer an advert for that money. :unamused: Our van drivers are on nearly that monday to friday, saturday over a pound more and sunday is double time. Sit behind the wheel of a van and get close on the same money and if out, a hotel.

You’d get away with offering £9.00 an hour up North, just can’t see how anyone can live on that in south Beds though.

Well I live nr Swansea and all I can say is you’re all over-entitled and overpaid [zb]s :laughing: :cry: