Double yellows & rude old man lol

So I have been working in Seaton today, I drive an 8 wheel tipper,

Turnt up on my job, my college was in front of me so therefore he was loaded by machine first,

We had to reverse on a pavement onto a tiny driveway to be loaded by machine,

I thought, instead of parking on the side of the road obstructing traffic whilst waiting for my college to be loaded so I can reverse in, I parked in a pull in, just short of the loading area, (like a laybu) but has double yellows, an old man came out and said, “don’t park your lorry there we can’t see when we get out, we have had all this trouble before, if you don’t move I will call the police”

I replied, politely "excuse me? I am not parked I am waiting for my collegue, if you have a problem getting out I will then move, I wasn’t causing any danger at all.

His Mrs then starts taking photos, I then become famous lol

Am I allowed to wait there littrally 5-10mins rather than cause absolute mahem parking alongside the road likely to endanger other road users as they attempt to overtake on a bend?

Who is right?

Non event, move along…

You were in the wrong but who cares?
I parked in a bus stop for a similar reason the other day. Bus pulls alongside me and informs me I’m in a bus stop and should move. I ignore him and he just sits there blocking traffic for about 1 minute just smiling, think he was motioning to the camera but I wasn’t paying attention.
I even left enough space for him to get in and out he was just being a jobsworth but unfortunately its part of the job to ■■■■ people off in this profession.
Also had a delivery down some stupid road that said unsuitable for HGVs(an understatement) and waited for about 5 minutes for a stubborn car driver to reverse back into a gap so I could move on, he got bored of shouting and taking photos eventually.

If the police had turned up they would probably see both sides, pointing out to you the double yellows but on the other hand seeing your point in being parked there. Better to park on the yellows than cause an obstruction i would have thought…

adam277:
You were in the wrong but who cares?
I parked in a bus stop for a similar reason the other day. Bus pulls alongside me and informs me I’m in a bus stop and should move. I ignore him and he just sits there blocking traffic for about 1 minute just smiling, think he was motioning to the camera but I wasn’t paying attention.
I even left enough space for him to get in and out he was just being a jobsworth but unfortunately its part of the job to ■■■■ people off in this profession.
Also had a delivery down some stupid road that said unsuitable for HGVs(an understatement) and waited for about 5 minutes for a stubborn car driver to reverse back into a gap so I could move on, he got bored of shouting and taking photos eventually.

If it was just one of those blue signs, then tough; it’s advisory not mandatory. Half my customers wouldn’t get their feed if I avoided every road with those signs on!

Ditto weight limits; car drivers get shouty until you point out the “Except for Access” bit.

I am ■■■■ normally about parking on yellows, I only waited there because I didn’t want oncoming traffic in front of me to overtake my lorry on a sharp bend to potentionally cause danger to other road users.

The bloke didn’t even want to get out, if someone couldn’t see pulling out I would move away and let them get out no problem, I am littrally waiting there for 5 mins if that.

Busy bodies eh!

Danstoneman24:

Turnt up on my job, my college was in front of me so therefore he was loaded by machine first,

I thought, instead of parking on the side of the road obstructing traffic whilst waiting for my college to be loaded so I can reverse in, I parked in a pull in, just short of the loading area, (like a laybu) but has double yellows, an old man came out and said, “don’t park your lorry there we can’t see when we get out, we have had all this trouble before, if you don’t move I will call the police”

I replied, politely "excuse me? I am not parked I am waiting for my collegue, if you have a problem getting out I will then move, I wasn’t causing any danger at all.

Am I allowed to wait there littrally 5-10mins rather than cause absolute mahem parking alongside the road likely to endanger other road users as they attempt to overtake on a bend?

Who is right?

Not you fella I am afraid. You were not parked because you were waiting on a mate. How does that work?
Situations like that can be avoided with forward planning. Some seem to think they can disobey the law just because they want to load or unload.

Surely double yellows means no parking. You were not parked you were waiting which is not prohibited same whilst loading. Your not parked your loading.

Dr Damon:

Danstoneman24:

Who is right?

Not you fella I am afraid. You were not parked because you were waiting on a mate. How does that work?
Situations like that can be avoided with forward planning. Some seem to think they can disobey the law just because they want to load or unload.

'seem to think THEY can disobey the law just because THEY want to load or unload (tip?)
A car driver licence holders view and terminology. As mentioned before, you DO NOT drive a truck…

But yet law states you can unload on double yellow, the minute you lock your vehicle and leave it unattended your breaking the law. :confused:

AndrewG:

Dr Damon:

Danstoneman24:

Who is right?

'seem to think THEY can disobey the law just because THEY want to load or unload (tip?)
A car driver licence holders view and terminology. As mentioned before, you DO NOT drive a truck…

Ouch!! :laughing:

Rule 238. You MUST NOT wait or park on yellow lines during the times of operation shown on nearby time plates (or zone entry signs if in a Controlled Parking Zone) – see ‘Traffic signs’ and ‘Road markings’. Double yellow linesindicate a prohibition of waiting at any time even if there are no upright signs.

Strictly speaking, you should have waited elsewhere. The double yellows were probably there to i.prove visability for the bend and allow people out of their drives.
This however is the real world. I’d have done what you did, just be prepared to move on.

But yet if someone goes to overtake with an oncoming car towards them, like most idiot car users and comes across a family on a pavement and kills them from swerving from the oncoming car, it would still be my fault.

Can’t win! Lol.

Less hassle without the licence these days :wink:

Seems to be a problem with Seaton. Item on the radio a while back, people complaining about buses parking in the bus station!!

Must be something in there water!! :unamused:

Police won’t give a toss whatsoever

AndrewG:

Dr Damon:

Danstoneman24:

I replied, politely "excuse me? I am not parked I am waiting for my collegue, if you have a problem getting out I will then move, Iwasn’t causing any danger at all.

Who is right?

Hey guys I have never driven a truck because our star driver who can drive 100% safe all the time whilst multi tasking says so. I would hazard a guess we have a buffoon in our midst who can tell if someone has a licence through a few words. INCREDIBLE… :unamused:

Danstoneman24:
But yet if someone goes to overtake with an oncoming car towards them, like most idiot car users and comes across a family on a pavement and kills them from swerving from the oncoming car, it would still be my fault.

Can’t win! Lol.

Less hassle without the licence these days :wink:

It can be really difficult at times but as I said with forward planning things can be better. That of course depends on the company you work for.
You just need to cover yourself as best you can and firstly make sure your vehicle does not have the potential to cause an accident especially if you are illegally parked.

Dr Damon:

AndrewG:

Dr Damon:

Danstoneman24:

I replied, politely "excuse me? I am not parked I am waiting for my collegue, if you have a problem getting out I will then move, Iwasn’t causing any danger at all.

Who is right?

Hey guys I have never driven a truck because our star driver who can drive 100% safe all the time whilst multi tasking says so. I would hazard a guess we have a buffoon in our midst who can tell if someone has a licence through a few words. INCREDIBLE… :unamused:

Called out and then bites back but as ever…thats :sunglasses: by me… :stuck_out_tongue:

the nodding donkey:
Non event, move along…

How do we know that it didn’t happen. Without posting photos we won’t know, if the OP hasn’t got any why not ask the old lady for some hers