Double white lines

Picture the scene, like i was in yesterday…

Driving down a single carriageway road, at 40 mph the road has solid white line on your side of road, road is straight and you can see there is nothing infront of you, you drive down the road and there is a cyclist :imp: :imp: peddling down the road, police car behind you.

Was i correct in thinking that you can go over the white line because they are slow moving :question: i really must brush up on my highway code i know :exclamation: :blush: :blush:

guessing your cant you do it though as you drive over a level crossing which has double lines:?: even if its safe e.g. again nothing coming road clear ect etc as they have double lines as well.

cheers

Yup, no problem. If it’s safe to do so etc then you can cross solid white line to overtake stationary or slow moving (less than 10mph) pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle.

Cheers…M

MartinC:
If it’s safe to do so etc then you can cross solid white line to overtake stationary or slow moving (less than 10mph) pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle.

Cruise Control:
i really must brush up on my highway code

Here you go then - HIGHWAY CODE - on line

'Cors it would be a total bummer if the cyclist is doing 11mph.

Mind you, wouldn’t be a problem in Peterborough since the pavements are reserved for cyclists, who are also exempt from that irritating rule about stopping at red traffic lights. Apparently.

Cheers…M

MartinC:
'Cors it would be a total bummer if the cyclist is doing 11mph.

Mind you, wouldn’t be a problem in Peterborough since the pavements are reserved for cyclists, who are also exempt from that irritating rule about stopping at red traffic lights. Apparently.

Cheers…M

its not so much the cyclists you have to worry about in peterborough its the taxi drivers :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

DON’T get me started about the Peterborough taxi drivers. I can only rage against one type of numpty at a time.

Although it’s true, taxi drivers in Peterborough are exempt from most road regulations. Including the need to have a driving licence. Or maintain correct road speed. Or observe other vehicles before stopping, turning or pulling out. Or indeed any training or skill in driving at all.

Mebbe they should join the cyclists on the pavement. At least the roads would be safer.

Cheers…M

If the cyclist is doing 10mph or lower, you can overtake, if he was doing over 10mph then you can, not that many pay attention. But seriously, if its going to be a dangerous overtake then dont do it, the amount of times people have come past me(ill be doing at least 20mph aswell) to get half way and then be faced with a car coming the other way is unreal. :unamused:
Infact, my dad tried to moan about cyclist riding 2 abreast down a road on a quiet morning, saying it says single file in the highway code. I proved him wrong, silly old ■■■■. :unamused: :laughing:

JoeG:
If the cyclist is doing 10mph or lower, you can overtake, if he was doing over 10mph then you can, not that many pay attention. But seriously, if its going to be a dangerous overtake then dont do it, the amount of times people have come past me(ill be doing at least 20mph aswell) to get half way and then be faced with a car coming the other way is unreal. :unamused:
Infact, my dad tried to moan about cyclist riding 2 abreast down a road on a quiet morning, saying it says single file in the highway code. I proved him wrong, silly old ■■■■. :unamused: :laughing:

But your dad probably lived in the days when common sense ruled the roads not some book written by some politically correct government author.In those days we were also told to slow down while being overtaken if possible to help the overtaking vehicle pass quicker.

Carryfast:

JoeG:

But your dad probably lived in the days when common sense ruled the roads not some book written by some politically correct government author.In those days we were also told to slow down while being overtaken if possible to help the overtaking vehicle pass quicker.

Maybe so, but he was saying it was in the highway code that you must ride single file.
How is riding two abreast politically correct (personal attack removed - repton) :unamused: Do you understand politically correctness, or is it then when you dont agree with something and its been done by the goverenment, its political correctness :unamused:
Jesus christ, its worrying :unamused:

double white lines of course you can crosses them esp after 12 pints and 6 whiskeys :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

MartinC:
DON’T get me started about the Peterborough taxi drivers. I can only rage against one type of numpty at a time.

Although it’s true, taxi drivers in Peterborough are exempt from most road regulations. Including the need to have a driving licence. Or maintain correct road speed. Or observe other vehicles before stopping, turning or pulling out. Or indeed any training or skill in driving at all.

Mebbe they should join the cyclists on the pavement. At least the roads would be safer.

Cheers…M

try being in my shoes when telling one of them that he is getting a ticket etc :smiley: talk about tell me how to drive etc etc etc, it’s like they own the road

JoeG:

Carryfast:

JoeG:

Maybe so, but he was saying it was in the highway code that you must ride single file.
How is riding two abreast politically correct (personal attack removed - repton) :unamused: Do you understand politically correctness, or is it then when you dont agree with something and its been done by the goverenment, its political correctness :unamused:

Everything which this government does in favour of cyclists is done by saying that anyone who does’nt agree with it is a muppet.So I suppose that we could all drive at 20 mph side by side on a single carriageway road without being done for driving without consideration for other road users?.The highway code is’nt law but maybe your dad was referring to the law not the highway code.But of course in the present politically correct climate the law does’nt apply to cyclists.

Carryfast:

JoeG:

Carryfast:

JoeG:

Everything which this government does in favour of cyclists is done by saying that anyone who does’nt agree with it is a muppet.So I suppose that we could all drive at 20 mph side by side on a single carriageway road without being done for driving without consideration for other road users?.The highway code is’nt law but maybe your dad was referring to the law not the highway code.But of course in the present politically correct climate the law does’nt apply to cyclists.

(personal attack removed - repton) Obviously.
He said it says in the highway code its single file.
Its a rule thats been in the highway code for many years.
Political correctness is this, as a definition from google:
“Is the alteration of language to redress real or alleged injustices and discrimination or to avoid offense. …”
So, when you do understand what the sayings you are throwing out mean, you can use them, but you just make yourself look like more of a buffoon when you use them wrong.
Riding doing 20mph side by side is fine, surely a professional driver or one who is quite competent at driving and looking ahead can see the cyclist, change speed accordingly and move out leaving ample room, which ofcourse you should do even if there is one cyclist riding along doing around 20mph, should you not?
Or is what you are saying is its wrong because its cyclists so it must be politically correctness because you disagree with that aswell(only way i can logically see your link, or some link)
Also, if your going to start to stereotype cyclists, ill stereotype you into the dirty, hairy arsed truckers group. Eye for an eye afterall.

■■

Oh, and driving side by side on a carriageway is fine, its sometimes done 3 in a row or at least could be. You do this on a motorway.
But, if you think that 2 cyclists riding side by side can take up half a lane, 2 cars driving side by side would take up both lanes, your example it pretty crappy, actually. :confused:
Fancy another go?

i must check with my internet provider it appears that i have clicked for trucknet but been routed to cyclenet.

I have nothing against cyclists provided they are sensible and considerate to other road users.

The problem is (and i’m only generalising from personal experience) a lot of cyclists seem to think they have a God given right to ride anywhere without any thought for others.

Where I live the local council has spent thousands of tax payers money providing extra wide pavements incorporating cycle lanes. So obviously the cycles have to ride on the road causing hold-ups because no-one has enough room to overtake. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
Why can’t they see that its safer to use the cycle lanes.

I wont mention taxis but its not just Peterborough :imp:

globby 480:
double white lines of course you can crosses them esp after 12 pints and 6 whiskeys :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

I find if you cover one eye up, the lines tend to merge into one. You just have to hope it is the correct lane :laughing:

toowise:
i must check with my internet provider it appears that i have clicked for trucknet but been routed to cyclenet.

I have nothing against cyclists provided they are sensible and considerate to other road users.

The problem is (and i’m only generalising from personal experience) a lot of cyclists seem to think they have a God given right to ride anywhere without any thought for others.

Where I live the local council has spent thousands of tax payers money providing extra wide pavements incorporating cycle lanes. So obviously the cycles have to ride on the road causing hold-ups because no-one has enough room to overtake. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Although, alot of the numpties down in London that cycle… :wink: :laughing:

Its still Trucknet, dont worry, just one post on cyclists!
Well, if you read the highway code(which i often get told about and to get off the road etc) it says its up to the rider to decide whether or not to ride on the cycle facility or not.
There are a few reasons to decide not to ride on the cycle path.
Its got numpties on bikes on it
Its got numpties walking along it
Its got numpties smashing glass on it
Its not got cars going along it clearing all the crap from it
Its like a pavement, so you still have to slow down at junctions of roads, where you can cycle on the road, keep a constant speed and be just as safe, if people wouldnt mind slowing down sometimes(often not even at all) to wait to pass.
Or just come past fast and close. But if you do that, think of your son/daughter on that bike, or what if they move out and you take them down. Would you keep the same mentality of them getting off the road if you have to tell the friends/families about why you decided to pass their son/daughter so close and knock them down?

JoeG:
Oh, and driving side by side on a carriageway is fine, its sometimes done 3 in a row or at least could be. You do this on a motorway.
But, if you think that 2 cyclists riding side by side can take up half a lane, 2 cars driving side by side would take up both lanes, your example it pretty crappy, actually. :confused:
Fancy another go?

Why not there’s nothing like a good discussion with the lot who like bicycles but who can’t understand the rules of the road.It’s possible to drive two cars or even trucks side by side on some single carriageway roads without taking up ‘both lanes’ (A131 near Braintree?) by which I think you mean crossing the broken white or even the solid white line down the centre dividing the two opposing traffic directions.But doing that at the same speed side by side with two cars and if a copper happened to be behind would probably be a sure case of driving without consideration for other road users which seems par for the course for most cyclists but the difference is cyclists usually get away with it whereas motor vehicle drivers don’t.And no you don’t drive side by side on a motorway you only use lanes 2 or 3 for overtaking and then return to lane 1.Time to start reading that highway code again and have a chat with your local traffic coppers if they can be bothered to try to educate you.And why bother with cycle lanes which cyclists keep on shouting for if they don’t mind riding out in the centre of one of the lanes of a single carriageway road when it suits them?.

JoeG:

toowise:

Although, alot of the numpties down in London that cycle… :wink: :laughing:

Its still Trucknet, dont worry, just one post on cyclists!
Well, if you read the highway code(which i often get told about and to get off the road etc) it says its up to the rider to decide whether or not to ride on the cycle facility or not.
There are a few reasons to decide not to ride on the cycle path.
Its got numpties on bikes on it
Its got numpties walking along it
Its got numpties smashing glass on it
Its not got cars going along it clearing all the crap from it
Its like a pavement, so you still have to slow down at junctions of roads, where you can cycle on the road, keep a constant speed and be just as safe, if people wouldnt mind slowing down sometimes(often not even at all) to wait to pass.
Or just come past fast and close. But if you do that, think of your son/daughter on that bike, or what if they move out and you take them down. Would you keep the same mentality of them getting off the road if you have to tell the friends/families about why you decided to pass their son/daughter so close and knock them down?

On your bike mate…

Carryfast:

JoeG:
‘…my dad tried to moan about cyclist riding 2 abreast …’

‘…But your dad probably lived in the days when common sense ruled the roads…’

Apart from it appearing that the ol’ lad still lives (have you written him off with the past tense?) , he’s now in a Euro nation where diversity is lorded as king. PC monkeys tell us not to try & stop it for fear of being bigotted & racist, etc - which I suggest (other than lots of things being shoddy) is now a nation where nothing is ‘common’ - including ‘sense’.

Therefore, perhaps ‘common sense’ is an out of date term with no real meaning other than to indicate one’s old age - and what Carryfast’s dad now needs is more domestically focussed & Britain-centric governance to work for those who deserve better quality in their life - including the ‘two abreast’ cyclists who are equally as neglected by the law & society, etc.