Double manning.......your thoughts!

I’m self employed and have it pretty easy most of the time when working in Europe, but I was recently asked if I wanted some work double manning, so I asked about what was expected and the rate of pay. Basically it was running to the limit for what I thought was pretty poor rates, so I said ‘why would I do double the amount of hours and work for the minimum of pay’? I was then given the lecture that you are on a break for half the time etc.
I don’t see it like that at all, firstly you’re not free to spend your time doing what you want whilst on this ‘break’ secondly, it could be being awake for 20 hours plus, thirdly, I think it’s bloody dangerous. I ended up saying I wasn’t interested and the guy on the phone couldn’t understand why.
What are your thoughts, do any of you double man regularly, if so, am I missing something?

“You’re on break for half the time”. That bloody phrase alone would be enough to make me walk away before committing violence! :imp: Perhaps the ■■■■■ who advised you that would like to try finishing his 9?to 5 job and then swapping chairs and sitting in the same office watching others work until he’s been there for 21 hours! Afterwards he can curl up in the corner of the office and go to sleep.

I’ve double manned several times on agency and I’ve always been paid the full rate. I’ve even second manned on abnormal loads on agency and got the full CE rate.

You’re self employed so surely it should be you telling THEM what you want an hour, not them telling you what they’re paying? When I’ve been self employed, whether it be as a driver or when I did IT consultancy it was me saying what my rates were, not the customer telling me what they’d pay. Those who tried it got short shrift. Sure by all means you can negotiate the rate but you’re the one that sets it.

I’ve done it once in my entire career, over 30 years. Never again.

A full double manned shift, then go home? OK. Not for me but OK.
Same shift followed by a night on an hotel? OK. Again not my thing.
Full shift then sleep in the cab? No.

Edit. And if I’m sat in driver or passenger seat makes no difference: a twenty hour shift needs pay reflecting that.

Who’s he double manning with… Dozy?

i wouldn’t double man for less than £30 p/h. As you might guess, I haven’t ever been offered double manning work :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

peirre:
Who’s he double manning with… Dozy?

God, no. 21hrs with Dozy! I will be having nightmares tonight :open_mouth:

Not a chance in hell, I like my own company too much.
The thought of sharing a cab 24 hours a day with a stranger fills me with dread.
The only time I ever thought I might fancy it was about 10 yrs ago, there was a job reported in the Sun where a driver was required to take a special tree abroad, accompanied by the gardener who had grew it and nurtured it, …that gardner was none other than Kim Wilde…oh yes. :smiley:
Two bunks Kim, I’ll be ‘‘On Top’’ tonight babe. :sunglasses:
:smiley:

Done quite a bit of it over the years, but always on full pay and never had to share the cab on rest, either one or both of us had hotel rooms.

It wasn’t always max hours, just 2 of us there in case the truck, or more importantly the load, has to get back in a hurry.

Although I’d prefer to do the job on my own, if you get the right co-driver it’s not too bad, for me that’s tends to be someone who doesn’t want to spend the trip telling you their life story (with extra RDC bull) and obviously doesn’t scare the ■■■■ out of you with their driving.

Some of the best people I’ve worked with might make the odd comment, but spend most of your stint behind the wheel asleep, and because you can trust them you can spend most of their stint asleep. So actually not much difference to being on your own. :laughing:

“I’m self employed… I asked about what was expected and the rate of pay” OK :unamused:

Double manning - I’d rather poke cocktail sticks in my eyes.

robroy:
Two bunks Kim, I’ll be ‘‘On Top’’ tonight babe. :sunglasses:

As a gentleman you should let the lady be on top :stuck_out_tongue:

No bloody fear, we might fraternise with others whilst waiting to tip or over a couple of pints or at the last remaining transport cafe, but part of the reason we drive piggin lorries is we don’t particularly want to work with others, especially to be confined for 21 hours a day beside someone we can’t stand the sight of and we can barely understand…some of us stayed on the lorries not because that’s all we’re capable of (despite the public perception) but because we like working alone.

I’d want twice my present wages to even contemplate double manning for a 12 hour regular day and then it would have to be with someone compatable, as for getting cosy in the cab overnight, stick it where the sun don’t shine matey.

Did quite a bit of double manning mainly around Europe and as has been said, it comes down to who your gonna be spending all this time with.

I was lucky that i could choose who i was gonna double man with, although things did get a bit heated a couple of times (usual crap,preffered routes, parking etc) but this was no more heated than it would’ve been most of the time when I was on my own…[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

This was all days paid while away and the majority of the time hotels were provided.

I’m glad i never have to do the d/manning i briefly did when the boss of the company i was working for (fridges) said I’ll do the spain run with you this week, now that was 4hrs on/4 off etc etc then minimum rest (in cab) then crack on…not ideal but by god you can get some miles/kms done in a shift [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Did a few trips to Spain and the French Riviera double manning on artwork exhibitions. Although it was a change to have someone to talk to for once, you really have to get on with the other bloke (no Kim Wildes unfortunately) The chap I twinned up with was a really funny guy despite being the spitting image of Tony Blair, but boy could he ■■■■!
Stank the cab out on a few occasions, so looked forward to getting the hotel rooms now and again for a decent nights sleep :slight_smile:

Lonewolf Yorks:
I’ve done it once in my entire career, over 30 years. Never again.

I did it once, in 1995. I didn’t really enjoy the trip, it was a hard slog although I knew the other driver and he was pretty sound. We drove to Minsk and then he dropped me off at the airport and I flew back to the UK. The entire job took four days and after tax and national insurance I took home £998 for it. I said to the bossman “Bloody hell Neil, you could have given me the other two quid and made it up to a Grand” :stuck_out_tongue:

we ocasionally double man, but then again we are used to sharing our cabs as due to nature of our work we need a drivers mate with us to comply with regs. It’s ok as all us lot in our small firm get on really well and pull together when going gets tough. Though I must admit I do enjoy the occasions when I get a trip by myself!

As I’m getting older, I’m getting less and less tolerant of people, to the point where all but a tiny percentage irritate and exhaust me simply by their presence, so double manning would be my worst nightmare unless I could do it with a mute non-smoker, for perhaps one day only.

I’ve double manned over here but it was more like single driving as we both did 12 hr shifts so food toilet fuel at change times 6am 6pm. Was the only time we met so to speak I was the night man do I was out on the bunk no problem and usually got up an hr before change . Strange you might think but we ran. Winnipeg - lala land on the west coast then down to Texas then back home we knew what was to be done so got on with it and get home time , before anyone says anything yup internal loads in USA with Canadian truck but USA citizen as lead driver . We were outrunning our fuel card . Was teamed with an old hand that had reversed further than I had went forwards. Only a couple o rules. Don’t kill me in my sleep and no swearing blasphemy jimmy. Would do it again but only with that old boy , and of course the money I was on !

It was going to be hotels all the way through, but my issue is the amount of time you’re actually on the job, needless to say, I’m not doing it, I genuinely think it’s unsafe, you may be snoozing in the passenger seat but you’re not really resting, not for me this time.