Double manning.......your thoughts!

Guess it would be a Wicked experience :smiley:

if your going to double man then at least take the trouble to look the part.

comb your hair with chip fat every morning,wear a wife beater vest with the remains of at least 3 days cabbage and seagull stew dribbled down it,a pair of £3.99 adibok trackie bottoms,and a pair of golfing socks( the ones with 18 holes in them) always to be rested with your feet on the dash at all times when not driving.
always remember,to have at least 3 days growth on your coupon,and liberally splash your armpits with a can of oxterguff deodorant every morning or at least wipe them with a rag soaked in diesel…voila!!! instant double manning truckie style. :slight_smile:

I was on a night trunk for a few years.

I had to start double manning when the speed limit was reduced back in … whenever.

I am sure the term “cabin fever” originated with unwilling double manned drivers.
Here are some of the joys of spending 12 hours a night with another man.

1. His taste in music and choice of radio programs is crap.
  2. When it’s freezing cold he opens the window. The icy blast channels straight to your eye. In the morning your eye will be bloodshot
  3. He can’t drive. Instead of relaxing you are constantly vigilant, in case he does something that ends up killing both of you.
  4. He is a whistler. I had that one night non stop for 12 hours.
  5. He is an a$$**** and talks nothing but rubbish.

If you have to double man, my advice is, clear the air, clear the air. Don’t bottle it up. If he’s doing something that’s winding you up, tell him (and visa versa of course). If you don’t, the cabin fever will accelerate. This happened to me. After 3 months with one guy, we had both developed a psychotic hatred of each other, which came to a head in a brawl at 4am at South Mimms whilst we were changing over. Mind you, it did clear the air.

I hate travelling up in convoy and try to avoid whenever poss, so the thought of double Manning… gets me nauseous thinking about it

Like to do what I want, when I want. If that means working through a break and then repaying it later to suit me, or having a 2 hour kip cos I’ve been up since 3am… so be it. If I wanna park on an ind est I like and near to a pub , I don’t worry about the other blokes desire for a KFC and access to the bogs on some crappy urine Infestes flip flop operating centre MSA

I’d hate to double man, just think about it…, …the boring conversations, the belching and ■■■■■■■, the body odour, the anti social habits like nose picking arse scratching, the rotten feet, and all the rest of it :open_mouth:

Still.I suppose the other guy would get used to me eventually. :laughing: :laughing:

His snoring kept me awake. Problem being he was driving at the time.

Lonewolf Yorks:
I’ve done it once in my entire career, over 30 years. Never again.

Ditto.

Although the last bell end that I did it with, refused to do the last stint, meaning I/we had to have a 45, and with hindsight, I should have left him at the services to make his own way back. :imp:

I fired into the agency with no holds barred, and never double manned with him again.

Ken.

I don’t like it.

I’ve done it a few times, so I know I don’t like it.
I’m a loner. I’ve always been a loner, it isn’t anything new. One of the reasons I like the job is cos I can be on my own most of the time.
I’m delighted to have a chat with someone on a break, I just don’t need or want to be with people 24/7. About 4/24 is about right :smiley:
Also, the older I get, the worse a passenger I get. I’m always pressing my foot onto the none-existant brake pedal, among other nervous habits as a passenger.
There are two people who I don’t do this with when they’re driving, both long term friends. Even then, I sometimes have to stop myself.

I was pressured into it by my company as I was a new driver.
My second day as a hgv1 driver was doing a 17hr shift starting at 1630 hrs and double manning from Scotland to Pallex in Leicester with an idiot so called experienced driver who spent the whole time complaining about lorry driving and his life whilst drinking Monster energy drinks…
They had me doing this 3 times a week for 2 months before I cracked up and told all involved to eat my ■■■■■…
Never again.

I have done a lot of double driving over 3 years and rarely did I max the hours. Never shared the cab as it was always hotels, any transport expenses from venue to hotel reimbursed. We did Rome to Barcelona as one drive, and then had 3 days off in Barcelona all paid. So it depends who you work for and what the work is. O, I was on day rate, and rarely did more then 12 hours work.