Double Decker vs Single Decker

Simonob88:
Double decker trailer drivers- do you feel superior to those who only have a puny single decker trailer in tow?

When I’m pulling a DD I can see the envy on the SD drivers who just wish they had something that tall. I look on these Single Decker drivers with the same contempt I do car drivers.

I would like to know your opinions on this as I’m making a delicious stew that needs a good stirring.

the only drivers i look down on are auto matic, sat nav types of drivers from cars to puddle jumpers to dd drivers when they see multi loads being pulled along the road which are ultra long you can bet they feel so small

Desypete.
Capture.JPG

I suggest three Hail Mary’s, a dab of Holy water and the wearing of at least 3 Crucifix for the rest of the day

:open_mouth:

AndrewG:

Reef:
Yeah I found a couple more too…

Who the [zb] thought that was a good idea when at the design drawing table…pmsl… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The DD makes sense on some jobs, high volume, low weight. But the cluster ■■■■ that happened when one of Arla’s pencil rimmed glasses wearing boffins had a ‘blue sky visionary moment’, is as hilarious as it is depressing. Why not combine a fridge trailer and a tanker, so that the fridge can deliver bottled milk one way, and collect raw milk on the way back. No more empty running fridges or tankers…

the nodding donkey:
Why not combine a fridge trailer and a tanker, so that the fridge can deliver bottled milk one way, and collect raw milk on the way back. No more empty running fridges or tankers…

Like to see a pic of one of those - sounds like the ones that Guiness had years ago - liquid on the way out in the tanks "downstairs " and then packaging on the way home "upstairs "

UKtramp:

Punchy Dan:

UKtramp:
I would like to point out that I am not the the O/P and I do NOT have any other accounts on here. This post was a blatant attempt in drawing me in and a weak attempt of a copy cat post. Failed on both counts!!

No but your post are about as stupid .

That’s a fair comment, others may disagree. You may just be incredibly boring as a person, some may find my posts amusing and I do also post some decent ones too. All depends on the person reading them as to how you read them. we are all different and that is what makes a good forum. No offence to you but you may simply like to talk about gearboxes and I find that stupid too. As said, we are all different with different humor and interests.

You sir at what my 7 year old nephew would call a “Tube!”… he’s wrong you are are just a dweeb.

UKtramp:
I would like to point out that I am not the the O/P and I do NOT have any other accounts on here. This post was a blatant attempt in drawing me in and a weak attempt of a copy cat post. Failed on both counts!!

Of course you were not the OP…

IMG_1144.JPG

Heisenberrg:

UKtramp:

Punchy Dan:

UKtramp:

No but your post are about as stupid .

That’s a fair comment, others may disagree. You may just be incredibly boring as a person, some may find my posts amusing and I do also post some decent ones too. All depends on the person reading them as to how you read them. we are all different and that is what makes a good forum. No offence to you but you may simply like to talk about gearboxes and I find that stupid too. As said, we are all different with different humor and interests.

You sir at what my 7 year old nephew would call a “Tube!”… he’s wrong you are are just a dweeb.

But when I talk about gearboxs such as the various different Eaton boxes my lorries have I don’t take the ■■■■ saying I feel superior because other drivers can’t use them .

beefy4605:

the nodding donkey:
Why not combine a fridge trailer and a tanker, so that the fridge can deliver bottled milk one way, and collect raw milk on the way back. No more empty running fridges or tankers…

Like to see a pic of one of those - sounds like the ones that Guiness had years ago - liquid on the way out in the tanks "downstairs " and then packaging on the way home "upstairs "

Yes, a tank (and all the pumps, pipes, metering equipment etc…) in the bottom, and a fridge on top, just high enough to take the tets. And a mahoosive tail lift on the back, just to add some more ballast…

The original plan was for these monsters to go to farms to collect milk. Obviously, those with thin rimmed glasses had never taken a truck to a farm… 15’9" tall, minimum ground clearance, with all the grace of a drunken hippopotamus when leaving the tarmac of the Queens Highway. Ideal to go picking up 1500 liters of milk from farmer Palmers rutted, potholed, ■■■■ and mud covered, farm, where the dairy is of course at the rear of the ■■■■, which is behind the slurry pit, which is around the hedge…they sent it into Westbury Dairy to load milk, to save face, and to ‘reduce trunking operations’. So I asked the driver how much I was to pump over. 17000 liters he said. 17000? (A road tanker takes 28000, 28500 with a light unit ). Yes, 1700. So I asked him if he had already loaded some elsewhere?. No, 17000 was the maximum it could carry… I laughed till it hurt. To top it off, it can only carry a half load of tets, and they are of course loaded on top, with an empty tank in the bottom… (and they need to be unloaded with a tail lift.)

the nodding donkey:

beefy4605:

the nodding donkey:

Yes, a tank (and all the pumps, pipes, metering equipment etc…) in the bottom, and a fridge on top, just high enough to take the tets. And a mahoosive tail lift on the back, just to add some more ballast…

The original plan was for these monsters to go to farms to collect milk. Obviously, those with thin rimmed glasses had never taken a truck to a farm… 15’9" tall, minimum ground clearance, with all the grace of a drunken hippopotamus when leaving the tarmac of the Queens Highway. Ideal to go picking up 1500 liters of milk from farmer Palmers rutted, potholed, [zb] and mud covered, farm, where the dairy is of course at the rear of the [zb], which is behind the slurry pit, which is around the hedge…they sent it into Westbury Dairy to load milk, to save face, and to ‘reduce trunking operations’. So I asked the driver how much I was to pump over. 17000 liters he said. 17000? (A road tanker takes 28000, 28500 with a light unit ). Yes, 1700. So I asked him if he had already loaded some elsewhere?. No, 17000 was the maximum it could carry… I laughed till it hurt. To top it off, it can only carry a half load of tets, and they are of course loaded on top, with an empty tank in the bottom… (and they need to be unloaded with a tail lift.)

just about half a load then - sounds just like the original cluster ****

don’t understand why you have to have a debate on it,and the part of feeling superior is ridiculous,i have pulled D/Ds and single decks,not once have I felt superior to other drivers,it’s just a job,tired of reading posts of drivers feeling superior to others because of what they drive or pull,it’s pathetic,we are all drivers who put up with the same crap day in day out irrelevant of what you drive, be it a van or hgv,for the record I hate D/Ds,too much hard work,straps are too low so you get backache doing them up,pulling a curtain which is basically twice the height of a single deck is a pain in the neck, worrying about bridge heights,etc, you are welcome to them.

truckman020:
don’t understand why you have to have a debate on it,and the part of feeling superior is ridiculous,i have pulled D/Ds and single decks,not once have I felt superior to other drivers,it’s just a job,tired of reading posts of drivers feeling superior to others because of what they drive or pull,it’s pathetic,we are all drivers who put up with the same crap day in day out irrelevant of what you drive, be it a van or hgv,for the record I hate D/Ds,too much hard work,straps are too low so you get backache doing them up,pulling a curtain which is basically twice the height of a single deck is a pain in the neck, worrying about bridge heights,etc, you are welcome to them.

That’s right let us big boys crack on with pulling the serious loads :wink:

Simonob88:
Double decker trailer drivers- do you feel superior to those who only have a puny single decker trailer in tow?

When I’m pulling a DD I can see the envy on the SD drivers who just wish they had something that tall. I look on these Single Decker drivers with the same contempt I do car drivers.

I would like to know your opinions on this as I’m making a delicious stew that needs a good stirring.

No, nothing superior about pulling DDs. A tonne of feathers is as heavy as a tonne of lead, it just takes up more room. A steel canopy trailer is routinely loaded to full weight and securing those coils takes a bit of skill, but the trailer is barely 13ft high. Plus we go up hill and down dale in west Dorset and the Mendips, not just up and down the M40 every night.

Drive DD and singles, like the DD more as they are newer trailers. Slower around the bends but only trunk so not usually a problem.

Do you get paid more for D/D
We are just driver’s been paid a very low wage for hours worked, if they paid more for D/D everyone would want to drive one
So anyone who feels superior has his head up his arse

Mazzer2:

SuperMultiBlue:
Only big boys pull DDs. You’re right about the envy. Always makes me smile. :laughing:

Lol always laugh at the DD boys pulling a load and a half for the same wage as a man pulling one load, your bosses must love you moving half a load for free each time

By your reasoning we should be driving four wheelers then.

I pull single decks, multi decks (16’3) & the real big boys toys, 50 footer multi decks. But I don’t get paid anymore, but my wife says size is important as she points and laughs :blush:

I only pull a flat.
Imagine how jealous I was,this morning…when I went through barrowby rd bridge,in grantham…only to find a stobarts stuck on the other side. :laughing:

commonrail:
I only pull a flat.
Imagine how jealous I was,this morning…when I went through barrowby rd bridge,in grantham…only to find a stobarts stuck on the other side. :laughing:

Shame on you laughing at others misfortune :laughing: :laughing:

Misfortune or muppetry?

I think it be the latter, guess he was following his satnav :unamused: