Dont bother asking- cause the answers no

why when theres a ordly que of artics waiting to get tipped , do you get the skip driver,the van driver, the puddle jumper driver all asking the same question -can i just nip in front ill only be 2 mins, ive only got 1 pallet , ive got 20 drops to do and half hour to do it in :unamused: .
dont you think weve got the same problems - 3 hrs to get 1 pallet off, 101 places to be .dont you think we get ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  off .
just lately it seems to be no ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  wants to wait in a que if the not in a artic.
and if the clever ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  todays reading this - it doesnt pay to come flying in the yard and shoot in front of the artic hopping youll get your pallets off quick as the artic driver will jam you in the corner so you cant get out till hes tipped and had his 45 min break

I dont mind personally aslong as theyre in and out and Ive got a full load. Answers no if ive only got 1 pallet too though!

What really narks me is vans pushing in on the diesel pumps, especially when they dont even ask.

1 box, 1 pallet, or an artic load, i don`t care! They join the queue!!!

If I have to sit there, so do they!!! Ive got places to go just like they have. they may have more front than Southsea but it doesnt get them anywhere with me!!!

Stick to yer guns, make em wait!!!

ady1:
why when theres a ordly que of artics waiting to get tipped , do you get the skip driver,the van driver, the puddle jumper driver all asking the same question -can i just nip in front ill only be 2 mins, ive only got 1 pallet , ive got 20 drops to do and half hour to do it in :unamused: .
dont you think weve got the same problems - 3 hrs to get 1 pallet off, 101 places to be .dont you think we get ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  off .
just lately it seems to be no [zb] wants to wait in a que if the not in a artic.
and if the clever [zb] todays reading this - it doesnt pay to come flying in the yard and shoot in front of the artic hopping youll get your pallets off quick as the artic driver will jam you in the corner so you cant get out till hes tipped and had his 45 min break

Having been both sides of the argument (spent many years on multi-drop parcels) I agree, it is bloody annoying for those queuing, but please donā€™t tell me you wouldnā€™t try to do the same in their position?

Frequently the problem can be overcome by better organisation of goods inwards procedures; provided of course theyā€™re adhered to by both warehouse staff and drivers.

Problem is that businesses now expect JIT standards of delivery as a matter of course, whether itā€™s necessary or not.

Iā€™m a multi-drop puddle jumper right now.
I always expect to queue along with everybody else.
However if
the tip site has a system which wonā€™t affect the artic bays, then iā€™ll accept
an early tip.
I normally prefer a self tip or an flt, as my tail-lift canā€™t do some bays anyway.

The vans also ā– ā– ā– ā–  me offā€¦

Whats a JIT standard?

206doorman:
Iā€™m a multi-drop puddle jumper right now.
I always expect to queue along with everybody else.
However if
the tip site has a system which wonā€™t affect the artic bays, then iā€™ll accept
an early tip.
I normally prefer a self tip or an flt, as my tail-lift canā€™t do some bays anyway.

The vans also ā– ā– ā– ā–  me offā€¦

Whats a JIT standard?

just in time

206doorman:
Whats a JIT standard?

JIT = Just In Time. Mainly applied to manufacturing operations, basically the idea is to keep minimum stock by organising deliveries of exactly the right number of widgets which will be required till the next delivery turns up.

In theory the last widget in stock gets used just as the storemanā€™s taking the first pallet of the next lot off; in practice guys like you run yourselves ragged delivering a small batch to keep them going till the next artic (which has been held up by queue-jumping van drivers :wink: ) arrives.

Itā€™s a system which IMHO has contributed greatly towards the amount of traffic on the roads, but itā€™s also an accountantā€™s dream because it helps to keep cashflow steady and minimises warehousing costs.

gnasty gnome:

206doorman:
Whats a JIT standard?

JIT = Just In Time. Mainly applied to manufacturing operations, basically the idea is to keep minimum stock by organising deliveries of exactly the right number of widgets which will be required till the next delivery turns up.

In theory the last widget in stock gets used just as the storemanā€™s taking the first pallet of the next lot off; in practice guys like you run yourselves ragged delivering a small batch to keep them going till the next artic (which has been held up by queue-jumping van drivers :wink: ) arrives.

Itā€™s a system which IMHO has contributed greatly towards the amount of traffic on the roads, but itā€™s also an accountantā€™s dream because it helps to keep cashflow steady and minimises warehousing costs.

Hence the term,ā€œMobile warehouseā€.
Firms like Land Rover use this system,to reduce their warehousing,but it means if some driver has a hold up,the production line comes to a standstill.

Used to be a multi drop van courier, crap hourly rate but paid per delivery. Typically doing 80 drops a day. 8am till 4pm to get them done.

Went to one place some cash and carry with four small boxes. About half a dozen HGVā€™s sitting, drove past them up to loading bay. Jump out ask authoritive looking figure where i can put these 4 boxes and can i get a signature. Told to go get in the Q behind the arctics, asked how long it would take at least a few hours, said no probs drove off. Phone call an hour later this cash and carry was desperate for the stuff in the boxes could i come back. Yip no problem tomorow, was now other side of town no time to go back.

I do tanker work and ,we can be at a customer from
2hrs to what ever it takes, depending on, weither or not they
have room and there are no problems with the unloading.
had the misfortune last week due to the mistake made by
the goods -in -office, where i was delivering,to have a complete
11hrs unloading time, which did not impress my TM, still thats life.!

On a simular line - was in the Q at the local post office on Tuesday waiting to post a package.

After 30 mins this huffy bloke appears at the front of the q and asks a little old lady to go in front - I was going to say something but he was up to the counter and go in 1 min.

5 mins later heā€™s back and asking again to jump the Q - now I am cross as I am still waiting to be served myself - I interupted him and politiely told him to sling his hook and join the Q.

His excuse for not waiting was that he had to pick the kids up!!

Kenny1975:
Used to be a multi drop van courier, crap hourly rate but paid per delivery. Typically doing 80 drops a day. 8am till 4pm to get them done.

Went to one place some cash and carry with four small boxes. About half a dozen HGVā€™s sitting, drove past them up to loading bay. Jump out ask authoritive looking figure where i can put these 4 boxes and can i get a signature. Told to go get in the Q behind the arctics, asked how long it would take at least a few hours, said no probs drove off. Phone call an hour later this cash and carry was desperate for the stuff in the boxes could i come back. Yip no problem tomorow, was now other side of town no time to go back.

used to drive for TNT in ireland, 18 tonner with a tailift, most of my drops would be one pallet so usually if theres a queue, id just park up out of the way, pull off the pallet myself and bring it around to the ramp door thats usually at the end of all the proper bays, never had a single problem with that but theres been times going to places with bays only and if theres a queue i just turn around and bring the pallet back :slight_smile: the joys of multi national corporations!

on the topic however, i usually let skip drivers through as theyve got their own ā– ā– ā– ā–  goin on, couriers, rigids, atics however, weā€™re all in the same game, join the fā€“king queue

as i left the artics to do couier work most of stuff is packets and parcels if theres a que no problem i get paid waiting time after 15 minutes bringthe ques on

i have to feel for the nextday boys though 80 drops plus collections and most of it is timed no wonder theyre all stressed even my timed stuff is more than doable

bestbooties:

gnasty gnome:

206doorman:
Whats a JIT standard?

Hence the term,ā€œMobile warehouseā€.
Firms like Land Rover use this system,to reduce their warehousing,but it means if some driver has a hold up,the production line comes to a standstill.

And having worked for a company that supplied to Land Rover the last thing you want to do is stop their production line as you will incur fines of upto :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Ā£10,000 per minute for lost production.

If the driver has the right attitude

ie ā€œDo you mind if I go in front of you, Iā€™ve only got one pallet, will get on with itā€ I really couldnā€™t care less.

If he thinks he has a right to nip in front - no way!!

Stan

i do it when delivering to bestways c+c cis it only ever 1 pallet with 2 layers of lollipops i usually park at the back of the q walk down see the goods in person explain what i have then use my tail lift and pump truck to get it off and wheel it in therfore not causing anyone else any hold ups by trying to get the forklift driver to do it he gets on unloading artics i personally dont see any problem with that and have never had any other driver complain about it to me face to face.theres no way in this world id sit behind a q of artics with full loads for 3 hours for the sake of half a pallet.i aint on hourly pay like a lot of drivers otherwise i would :smiley:

Stanley Knife:
If the driver has the right attitude

ie ā€œDo you mind if I go in front of you, Iā€™ve only got one pallet, will get on with itā€ I really couldnā€™t care less.

If he thinks he has a right to nip in front - no way!!

Stan

I am with you stanā€¦ lifes to short to worry bout stuff like thatā€¦

Any way the longer i am out the more i get paid ā€¦

I have to confess that I queue jump left right and centre when Iā€™m multidroppingā€¦ :blush: ā€¦But only[/i] after 1) asking the driver Iā€™m jumping if they are hourly paid (Iā€™m not); 2) asking if they have a full load; and 3) asking if they mind. If the answer to any of those questions is unfavourable, Iā€™ll happily sit. Well, not happilyā€¦But you know what I meanā€¦ :cry: :stuck_out_tongue:
Iā€™ve also been known to get in the back with other drivers in the same boat to get them cleared quick - always appreciated by those in the sofa game, warehouse and drivers alike. :wink:

Lucy:
I have to confess that I queue jump left right and centre when Iā€™m multidroppingā€¦ :blush: ā€¦But only[/i] after 1) asking the driver Iā€™m jumping if they are hourly paid (Iā€™m not); 2) asking if they have a full load; and 3) asking if they mind. If the answer to any of those questions is unfavourable, Iā€™ll happily sit. Well, not happilyā€¦But you know what I meanā€¦ :cry: :stuck_out_tongue:
Iā€™ve also been known to get in the back with other drivers in the same boat to get them cleared quick - always appreciated by those in the sofa game, warehouse and drivers alike. :wink:
[/quote]
Hmmmmā€¦ Feminine wilesā€¦works every time :laughing:

Another one whoā€™s never met me else they wouldnā€™t be saying thatā€¦ :blush: :blush: :wink: