Donald Trump on Truckers

Good on him.
Could you imagine any of the self centred, gravy train, limp ■■■■ UK MPs standing up …(or even speaking up) for us drivers in this country against public (aka voters :bulb: ) perception and negative opinions on us?
I reckon when hell freezes over. :unamused:

Sounds like hes still in campaign mode: "Youre all wonderful people. I`ll make things better."
No mention of what, or how, or when, or costings etc. Do away with regs? Freedom to run even longer hours? Wonderful.
I expect Pat Haslar will have summat to say about the threat to ObamaCare.

Franglais:
Sounds like hes still in campaign mode: "Youre all wonderful people. I`ll make things better."
No mention of what, or how, or when, or costings etc. Do away with regs? Freedom to run even longer hours? Wonderful.

Maybe give him a chance to lay out his proposals before condeming them or putting a negative spin on it.
It would be great post Brexit if someone stood up and simplified all the over complicated EU regulation ■■■■■■■■ that we have to endure.
Mind you, after saying that you would still get the ‘turkeys voting for Christmas’ less intelligent type drivers advocating for what you suggest, running for even longer hours, instead of decreasing them and fighting to get pay in line with the new regs.

Liberal city types hate him and what he says, but I actually like his ideas. They make sense to me. I hope post Brexit we do impose tariffs on imports and start making more stuff here. It might put up prices but at least the money spent will slosh around the uk rather than go abroad. Our trade deficit is scary and is unsustainable. Fine have zero tariffs with similar economies like the US and Australia, but it’s not fair trade when you’re buying stuff from China. All that happens is that we get gradually poorer and our living standards drop.

Franglais:
Do away with regs? Freedom to run even longer hours?

is what id vote for…a free for all…

robroy:

Franglais:

Maybe give him a chance to lay out his proposals before condeming them or putting a negative spin on it.
It would be great post Brexit if someone stood up and simplified all the over complicated EU regulation ■■■■■■■■ that we have to endure.
Mind you, after saying that you would still get the ‘turkeys voting for Christmas’ less intelligent type drivers advocating for what you suggest, running for even longer hours, instead of decreasing them and fighting to get pay in line with the new regs.

Evil8Beezle, you’ll have to break it to him gently, but I think the time has come…

robroy:

Be very careful what you wish for, because there has been a letter in Commercial Motor recently from an operator advocating ‘simplification’ of hours by permitting 100 hours’ driving every fortnight and (seemingly, as it was ambiguously-worded and not easy to understand) by allowing drivers to take two 45-minute breaks consecutively.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

If hours are relaxed/changed post-Brexit it will not be drivers that benefit when there are people with ideas such as the above in the industry, that is for sure. The RHA campaign machine will be rolled out quick-sharp.

Olog Hai:

robroy:

Be very careful what you wish for, because there has been a letter in Commercial Motor recently from an operator advocating ‘simplification’ of hours by permitting 100 hours’ driving every fortnight and (seemingly, as it was ambiguously-worded and not easy to understand) by allowing drivers to take two 45-minute breaks consecutively.

If hours are relaxed/changed post-Brexit it will not be drivers that benefit when there are people with ideas such as the above in the industry, that is for sure. The RHA campaign machine will be rolled out quick-sharp.

It might work to our advantage if EU drivers are still governed by EU regs i.e a counterbalance to their unfair ability to undercut because they’re paid peanuts. Not sure if they would be exempt from EU rules whilst operating on British soil? It’s a weird one. Take ADR we have to run by their rules over there, yet they can come over here and work for below our minimum wage.

Olog Hai:

robroy:

Yeh but you are assuming drivers will just roll over, say nothing and just accept it, but if we all just…hang on a minute, yeh I take it all back, leave it as it is. :bulb: :smiley:

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

Franglais:

Evil8Beezle, you’ll have to break it to him gently, but I think the time has come…

He won’t, …he knows I don’t take any notice. :smiley:

robroy:

Olog Hai:

robroy:

Yeh but you are assuming drivers will just roll over, say nothing and just accept it, but if we all just…hang on a minute, yeh I take it all back, leave it as it is. :bulb: :smiley:

I think 100 hours a fortnight is reasonable, along with an absolute max of 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, max 13 hour shift with 11 off, no working a 6th shift, do away with the max 56 hours in a week.
Any future changes should be agreed with the drivers only, and not the government/vehicle owners.
Perhaps it is time for us on the frontline to decide what is reasonable or not.

Out if interest is anyone else in Unite? I’m voting for Gerard Coyne who believes in the union doing what it’s there to do, as opposed to McCluskey who throws our subs away on liberal pet projects in cahoots with his merry band of momentum activists. If McCluskey gets back in I’m seriously thinking of changing union.

Tris:
Out if interest is anyone else in Unite? I’m voting for Gerard Coyne who believes in the union doing what it’s there to do, as opposed to McCluskey who throws our subs away on liberal pet projects in cahoots with his merry band of momentum activists. If McCluskey gets back in I’m seriously thinking of changing union.

I’m in URTU, only for the help in a potential legal case.
I’ve rang the rep two or three times for advice on stuff, but he always finishes with ‘‘It will only work if you all stick together at your firm’’ so that always ends up as a conversational cul de sac. :unamused:

AndrewG:

Franglais:
Do away with regs? Freedom to run even longer hours?

is what id vote for…a free for all…

My standard answer to most of your posts Andrew.
You are an owner driver, we aint ! . :bulb: :smiley:

robroy:

Tris:

I’m in URTU, only for the help in a potential legal case.
I’ve rang the rep two or three times for advice on stuff, but he always finishes with ‘‘It will only work if you all stick together at your firm’’ so that always ends up as a conversational cul de sac. :unamused:

Ditto to the word. You need to be recognised.

Anyone else notice the tag on YouTube?
“President Trump welcomed truckers and industry CEOs to the White House Thursday for a listening session on health care and its negative impacts on their industry and livelihood. (March 23)”
So has he already decided that the employers are suffering because they have to contribute to a health care plan for employees?
How many of us would welcome employers not paying N.I. contributions into the NHS ? Is that to enable the US trucking industry to compete better with. . .um. . . .who? Maybe it`s just so share holder profits can better compete with employees benefits.

Edited to add quote marks.

Olog Hai:

robroy:

Drivers don’t need “Rights” - they just need decent pay for the hours they put in.

No one wants to work 12-15 hour shifts on any start times - for only 10 hours pay.
No one wants to work for near minimum wage - but you get told “you can make up a decent wage by working 56-60 hours per week all paid hours”.
No one wants to be told “You cannot drive your truck on the last leg home because it’s EU regs that you have to park up for the weekend”.

Where’s the downside? - Really?

Perhaps outside of the EU - we can then force EU firms that continue to send their drivers on £100 per week over here to tramp all around our nation’s roads - to pay the UK minimum wage or don’t come here.

That’s win/win for the UK government AND UK drivers - ALL drivers.

Why?

If the EU firm decides to boycott the UK and stop delivering there - our roads are less cluttered, less damaged, and cheaper to maintain (benefiting all road users) AND UK truckers will have a lot more work to do running stuff about within our own borders. More jobs. I cannot see the government (as the Lefties try to scare us into thinking) saying it will be “compulsory 100 hour weeks for truckers in the UK to make up the gap”.

If the EU firms decide to bite the bullet - and pay the new “levy” to carry on driving on our roads - then we’ll have a line of cash income from the EU after they’ve said they want us to pay them. That’s a political as well as a financial win for the UK then. :smiling_imp:

Levy to be charged at port of entry of course.
The EU might retaliate with a larger levy of their own - but hey? - Do we WANT to be tramping around the EU for the same money you can get for driving monday-friday for a parcel firm or a supermarket these days?
If you want unfettered access to 100+ hour weeks - then that’s where it’s at imho.

Donald Trump won a lot of truckers over from their original intention to vote Democrat last year. They wanted to see Bernie become the candidate. When Hilary stole the democrat nomination - they were welcomed by Trump with “Open Arms”…

Winseer:
Drivers don’t need “Rights” - they just need decent pay for the hours they put in.

No one wants to work 12-15 hour shifts on any start times - for only 10 hours pay.
No one wants to work for near minimum wage - but you get told “you can make up a decent wage by working 56-60 hours per week all paid hours”.
No one wants to be told “You cannot drive your truck on the last leg home because it’s EU regs that you have to park up for the weekend”.

Where’s the downside? - Really?

Perhaps outside of the EU - we can then force EU firms that continue to send their drivers on £100 per week over here to tramp all around our nation’s roads - to pay the UK minimum wage or don’t come here.

That’s win/win for the UK government AND UK drivers - ALL drivers.

Why?

If the EU firm decides to boycott the UK and stop delivering there - our roads are less cluttered, less damaged, and cheaper to maintain (benefiting all road users) AND UK truckers will have a lot more work to do running stuff about within our own borders. More jobs. I cannot see the government (as the Lefties try to scare us into thinking) saying it will be “compulsory 100 hour weeks for truckers in the UK to make up the gap”.

If the EU firms decide to bite the bullet - and pay the new “levy” to carry on driving on our roads - then we’ll have a line of cash income from the EU after they’ve said they want us to pay them. That’s a political as well as a financial win for the UK then. :smiling_imp:

Levy to be charged at port of entry of course.
The EU might retaliate with a larger levy of their own - but hey? - Do we WANT to be tramping around the EU for the same money you can get for driving monday-friday for a parcel firm or a supermarket these days?
If you want unfettered access to 100+ hour weeks - then that’s where it’s at imho.

Donald Trump won a lot of truckers over from their original intention to vote Democrat last year. They wanted to see Bernie become the candidate. When Hilary stole the democrat nomination - they were welcomed by Trump with “Open Arms”…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNA6evpDZFI

Unfettered access to 100 hour weeks ■■ You really think thats good■■? And I for one would rather drive in EuroLand with better driver facilities, emptier roads, for the same money as sitting in a UK supermarket pen waiting for the muppets to come off tea break and tip my trailer. Trump welcomed some voters "with open arms". . . is that news? A politician who says its good when he gets more votes? Wow.

I was being sarcastic.

We already hear tales of drivers who’ll work a 50+ hour near-minimum-wage job “because of good facilities”.

I’m just hinting that if we massively increased domestic trucker wages, but left EU driver pay rates to stay as they are - there will still be plenty of UK drivers who “won’t change” from what they know. They might moan a lot, but the drive to bring them back to domestic work because of a leveling of the pay - won’t necessarily work.

The British Public though - possibly care about the continental British trucker least of all when it comes to public awareness of Trucker’s issues and concerns for quite some time since right now. :bulb: