Domestic Rules

Just a quick question. The subject of domestic rules for HGV driving has come up in work and there seems to be a lot of confusion. Does anybody know the exact driving times allowed under the domestic regs?

Cheers guys

Ragnarok:
Just a quick question. The subject of domestic rules for HGV driving has come up in work and there seems to be a lot of confusion. Does anybody know the exact driving times allowed under the domestic regs?

Cheers guys

10 hours a day. Every day.

In any working day there is a limit of 10 hours driving. The working day is the 24 hour period which begins with the start of your duty time. There is a duty time of 11 hours a day, unless you drive for less than 4 hours each day when there is no duty limit.

Mike-C:

Ragnarok:

Cheers guys

10 hours a day. Every day.

And 5 and a half hours driving before a 30 minute minimum break :imp:
Yes I know that as I have had arguments at work over losing 15 minutes break due to late running and only getting a 30 minute break :imp:
And dont get me started on the 5 and a half hours driving before getting a break… :smiling_imp:

DAF95XF:

That’s PSV Domestic Rules, not Goods Domestic Rules.

Coffeeholic:

DAF95XF:

Is it not the same then?

A good question that one Ragnarok. Very simple and straightforward. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Sadly ,I could not understand a single one of the answers. :confused: :confused: Each one confused me a bit more. I always thought PSV was a football team.

I,ve said it before, on a number of occasions, I am forced to say it again, Thank ZB I,m retired. :unamused: :unamused:

Me and those tacho regulations, would be in very serious conflict, in a very short time. I would spend most of my time in discussion about my license,and the probability of losing it, with Beverly Bell. :frowning: :frowning:

DAF95XF:

Coffeeholic:

DAF95XF:

Is it not the same then?

No, just as the tacho rules are different for freight and passenger so are the domestic versions.

I guess what I am trying to ascertain is the exact driving times I am allowed operating a dustcart with a ULW of 17 tonnes. Would that be the 11 hour work period with a max of 10 hours of driving and a break of 30 minutes after 5.5 hours of driving?

Cheers guys - the replies so far have definitely been appreciated.

under domestic rule for hgv drivers brakes are not required, only PCV’s but you would have to have a brake at six hours continuous work WTD

WTD

• Breaks:
    — Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
    — If your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by
    a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes.
    — If your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break
    or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes.
    — Breaks should be of at least 15 minutes’ duration.

Domestic driving limits
Driving is defined as being at the controls of a vehicle for the purposes of controlling its movement,
whether it is moving or stationary with the engine running, even for a short period of time.
Daily driving
In any working day the maximum amount of driving permitted is 10 hours. The daily driving limit applies
to driving on and off the public road. Off-road driving for the purposes of agriculture, quarrying, forestry,
building work or civil engineering counts as duty rather than driving time.
Daily duty
In any working day the maximum amount of duty permitted is 11 hours. A driver is exempt from the
daily duty limit (11 hours) on any working day when he does not drive.
A driver who does not drive for more than 4 hours on each day of the week is exempt from the daily
duty limit.
Drivers of certain vehicles are exempt from the duty but not the driving limit, namely — goods vehicles,
including dual purpose vehicles, not exceeding a maximum permitted gross weight of 3.5 tonnes,
when used:

• by doctors, dentists, nurses, midwives or vets;
  • for any service of inspection, cleaning, maintenance, repair, installation or fitting;
  • by commercial travellers;
    Day: The day is the 24-hour period beginning with the start of duty time.

Ragnarok:
I guess what I am trying to ascertain is the exact driving times I am allowed operating a dustcart with a ULW of 17 tonnes. Would that be the 11 hour work period with a max of 10 hours of driving and a break of 30 minutes after 5.5 hours of driving?

Cheers guys - the replies so far have definitely been appreciated.

there is one thing i have applied for dustcart jobs and all the time there ask for a digi card and knowledge of EU regs and the working time and have had tests about EU regs on one interview for a local council. i mite be wrong but the company was under contract to provide services

Coffeeholic:
unless you drive for less than 4 hours each day when there is no duty limit.

AIUI if you drive for more than 4 hours on any one day of the fixed week (Sun-Mon) then the duty limit applies for every other day of the week as well. Is that correct?

mrpj:
if you drive for more than 4 hours on any one day of the fixed week (Sun-Mon) then the duty limit applies for every other day of the week as well. Is that correct?

INFO SOURCE

A driver who does not drive for more than 4 hours on each day of the week is exempt from the daily duty limit.

From reading the above I would say that if the driver does more than 4 hours on any day in that week then they are subject to the daily duty limit for every day in the whole week

mrpj:

Coffeeholic:
unless you drive for less than 4 hours each day when there is no duty limit.

AIUI if you drive for more than 4 hours on any one day of the fixed week (Sun-Mon) then the duty limit applies for every other day of the week as well. Is that correct?

Yes, that is what I meant by each day, perhaps every would have been a better word than each.

delboytwo:
under domestic rule for hgv drivers brakes are not required, only PCV’s but you would have to have a brake at six hours continuous work WTD

Or he could opt out of the WTD and not be tied to breaks at 6 hours. :wink:

Ragnarok:
I guess what I am trying to ascertain is the exact driving times I am allowed operating a dustcart with a ULW of 17 tonnes. Would that be the 11 hour work period with a max of 10 hours of driving

Provided that driving the dustcart comes under domestic rules then that is correct.

Ragnarok:
and a break of 30 minutes after 5.5 hours of driving?

Only if it doubles as a bus. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: The break after 5.5 hours is for PSV domestic rules, not the truck version.

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

i think you will find that you can only opt out of the working of 48 hour and work more you would still be required to have your brakes

WTD

Rest breaks - a break during your working day

If you are an adult worker (that is, over 18), you will normally have the right to a 20 minute rest break if you are expected to work for more than six hours at a stretch.

my father in law drives a van,sometimes he’s away for 15 to 20 hours a day so where does he stand with the rules,as he drives alot more tan 10 hours in the day.

Tonyb

delboytwo:

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

i think you will find that you can only opt out of the working of 48 hour and work more you would still be required to have your brakes

Yeah, but nobody checks it anyway so might as weel opt out of the whole thing and finish earlier. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

Yeah, but nobody checks it anyway so might as weel opt out of the whole thing and finish earlier. :wink:

i think if there is one regulation that this would be the first you love to throw in the bin as i think you are no fan of it

from some of your posts about it :wink: