Doing away with diesels?

“they” recon that diesel particulates causes 38 thousand deaths a year,therfore we must take diesels off the road.
All you have to do is run them on 100% bio fuel and change the oil twice as often.
No sulpher ,low carbon and reduced combustion temperature so no NOx

Better still paid by the hour hitch up a horse

I can’t help but…

Think that, as drivers we are exposed to diesel fumes all day every day compared to Joe Public who doesn’t spend their entire working day on motorways and A roads.

Or get VW to change the way emissions work…ha ha

More like the establishment using the justified accusation of the relative dirty nature of diesel v petrol/LPG to hit all internal combustion engine users.If not we’d see an overnight at least 25p per litre increase in diesel fuel taxation and an equivalent 25p per litre reduction in petrol taxation and even a significant cut in the already lower price of LPG.Rather than what we’re actually seeing in the form of hitting everyone whether diesel pr petrol users.IE typical politicians like Kahn taking advantage of an agenda which they think that most reasonable people would accept as being justified,as cover to actually push a totally different agenda which isn’t.

truckyboy:
Or get VW to change the way emissions work…ha ha

I did. :wink:

Bking:
“they” recon that diesel particulates causes 38 thousand deaths a year,therfore we must take diesels off the road.
All you have to do is run them on 100% bio fuel and change the oil twice as often.

What on earth makes you think that changing to bio fuel (and changing the sump oil more frequently) will make the slightest difference to the particulate emissions? Particulates (i.e. essentially soot) are pretty much a direct consequence of using compression ignition rather than spark ignition and have SQRT(FA) to do with the fuel used (or the oil change regime). NOx is a completely different thing entirely.

How much pollution would a diesel engine create if it were to rev faster and faster out of control until it blew itself apart ? :wink: :laughing:
Regards. John.

Roymondo:

Bking:

What on earth makes you think that changing to bio fuel (and changing the sump oil more frequently) will make the slightest difference to the particulate emissions? Particulates (i.e. essentially soot) are pretty much a direct consequence of using compression ignition rather than spark ignition and have SQRT(FA) to do with the fuel used (or the oil change regime). NOx is a completely different thing entirely.

Because bio fuel has no sulphur in it for one,it also has runs at cooler combustion temperatures so catalytic joining of nitrogen (an inert gas) with oxygen is eradicated and no particulates as fatty esters contain a lot less carbon.
The Residues from combustion are absorbed by the engine oil eg nitrates and turn the engine oil acidic so oil has to be changed at 50 k as opposed to 100 k.
But of course this cuts out oil “companies” because bio fuel can be produced from organically produced systems that are not tied into the “opec” cartel

Roymondo:

Bking:

What on earth makes you think that changing to bio fuel (and changing the sump oil more frequently) will make the slightest difference to the particulate emissions?

To be fair Bking seems to have got some of the benefits of using Biofuel right ( seems to be an almost 50% reduction in PM ? ) but still not as good as LPG v Diesel of whatever type. :bulb: :wink:

me.utexas.edu/~challengex/f … ssions.pdf

drivelpg.co.uk/about-autogas … -benefits/

While the problem with biofuels is that road fuel use then competes with food production agriculture to produce it and the agenda and tax regime is obviously more about hitting road transport disproportionately regardless of the relative merits of the cleanliness of the different fuel types anyway.

Bio fuels and oils…■■?

Don’t think there’s enough land to grow the OSR to produce the oil now…

It’s all gone under bricks and mortar… :unamused:

Here is a race between diesel and hydrogen trucks.

iepieleaks.nl/hydrogen-and-diese … ock-horns/

fingermissing:
Here is a race between diesel and hydrogen trucks.

iepieleaks.nl/hydrogen-and-diese … ock-horns/

Hydrogen can just be used with a conventional engine and driveline with no need for any expensive electromotive technology.‘If’ they could produce it without it taking more energy to produce it than it contains and then distribute it.

Good luck getting rid of the millions of trucks already on the road

Can someone who knows what they’re talking about please explain to me why on my public poisoning Passat the twin exhaust pipes are as clean today as they were 7 years or 54k miles ago if carbon particles are the reason for so many problems. I’m not a scientist so do not have a clue. But the fiddled emissions have recently been re-fiddled by VW …

My previous lorry kicked out ridiculous amount of fumes from the fridge

I hope that those in power realize sooner rather than later that we just could not live as we do without the diesel engine.They have been powering the world for a long time because so far there is no real workable alternative.

If diesels are so bad, why do they have adblue?

Radar19:
If diesels are so bad, why do they have adblue?