dog clip

hi, i drove a scannia the other day and after i hitched the trailer on I went for the clip but after a quick look there was no clip. I was told that the truck had a spring loaded clip that didnt require the conventional dog clip…

is it ok to just go without the dog clip? (normally there is a fine and points for this offense I think)

The 58 plated renault premiums had these. Never trusted them personally.

so if you don’t trust, is it best to use your own dog clip too? where can you buy one from??

and if anybody knows, how can you tell if the spring loaded locking system has actually locked??

The spring load ones are an L shape and you just need pop your head under that the handle is fully engaged sometimes in can just sit on the cusp. A wee jiggle and the L bracket drops down. Our trucks have both the dog clip and L shape bracket fitted. A steel wire that holds the dog clip also pulls the L bracket up, clever wee system.

I posted a pic on here a few year ago and nobody had ever seen it before, i’ll see if i can dig it out.

gurj254:
hi, i drove a scannia the other day and after i hitched the trailer on I went for the clip but after a quick look there was no clip. I was told that the truck had a spring loaded clip that didnt require the conventional dog clip…

is it ok to just go without the dog clip? (normally there is a fine and points for this offense I think)

If it passes construction and use regs…

I’ve never come across a spring loaded one without a dog clip. You can get one from any outdoors camping shop or DIY store.

I’ve noticed a few of the new sainsburys and tesco Mercs have a green led on the fifth wheel. Does anyone know if this is to show the pin is locked in to place?

It is ok to drive with it.Mine has a dog clip which i check after a loo or coffee stop.You never know if somebody will pull the lever out for a laugh or kids do it for a dare.
An ex employer with a grudge.A padlock is ideal but do not lose the key.

We have just received a hired unit and the dog clip was not in place for the 5th wheel slide adjustment.

If there are holes for a dog clip to be used then get one.I carry a spare clip which can also be used for the trailer doors :wink:

gurj254:

if it is the drop down spring loaded type of retaining system, then it is perfectly legal to go without a dog clip, you will NOT get fined or points for it

my DAF XF has got that system fitted, and it has never failed an MoT for it, or caused any concern at a roadside check by VOSA

Ran with drop lock handles for years no issues. My current unit had both so just removed dog clip and chain for ease of coupling/uncoupling…no more greasy gloves or reaching under the trailer…simples!

my Iveco has the same drop down lock system, no where to fit a dog clip as far as I can see, but to be honest never looked that far as most of the trucks I have had were fitted with the same and I have never had a problem with vosa or them failing any time :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

shuttlespanker:

gurj254:

if it is the drop down spring loaded type of retaining system, then it is perfectly legal to go without a dog clip, you will NOT get fined or points for it

my DAF XF has got that system fitted, and it has never failed an MoT for it, or caused any concern at a roadside check by VOSA

Most of the continentals use the same system, dog clips are a British disease much like speed cameras

merc0447:
The spring load ones are an L shape and you just need pop your head under that the handle is fully engaged sometimes in can just sit on the cusp. A wee jiggle and the L bracket drops down. Our trucks have both the dog clip and L shape bracket fitted. A steel wire that holds the dog clip also pulls the L bracket up, clever wee system.

I posted a pic on here a few year ago and nobody had ever seen it before, i’ll see if i can dig it out.

so the L shape needs to lock in by moving away from where you are standing when you can see it?

m1cks:
I’ve never come across a spring loaded one without a dog clip. You can get one from any outdoors camping shop or DIY store.

I’ve noticed a few of the new sainsburys and tesco Mercs have a green led on the fifth wheel. Does anyone know if this is to show the pin is locked in to place?

Yes, there is a sensor that tells the little add on display on the dash

My truck has a Jost 5th wheel with the spring loaded L clip. Doesn’t stop the dealer fitting a dog clip when it’s in for service. Strange thing is they prepped and it passed the MOT without it but certain spanner monkeys insist on fitting it. I’ve given up explaining now about the legalities and just hand the clip and chain back to reception when collecting the truck.

Cheers
Neilf

Havent seen a dog clip in my 5 months here so far, the handle goes in and youre away, no secondary safety elements at all :open_mouth:

I’ve seen padlocks (fitted by the driver?) on scanias which I guess are OK to use providing you’re not changing trailers every five minutes…

Personally, I don’t like any system that doesn’t severely inhibit “mischief” abuse, such as cyclists in London coming up whilst you’re halfway around a left-hand bend and stopped at traffic lights & pulling your pin, perhaps out of some pathologic hate of heavy goods drivers… More likely to get killed if the trailer falls off on your head surely? Accidents down to mischief ARE what’s known as “misadventure” though, and this can still go down on a Coroner’s report, so there’s no accounting for stupidity. :frowning:

JOST TRAINING MOVIE.[/b]

I see many drivers have a quick glance at the fifth wheel to see if the pin has been pulled for mischief or malice.
If i drove off and the trailer landed on the deck the first thing the boss and Vosa or the Police would say is did i check it.

toby1234abc:
I see many drivers have a quick glance at the fifth wheel to see if the pin has been pulled for mischief or malice.
If i drove off and the trailer landed on the deck the first thing the boss and Vosa or the Police would say is did i check it.

I check every morning to make sure the handle is in and the dog clip secure. I don’t trust anyone and its part of your daily check. If you need to feel safer with the drop in lock, a nut and bolt will do the same job. Vosa don’t take excuses, just large fines.