Doesn't bear thinking about

Saw this story on rt.com from a couple of months ago.

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … cident.htm

Does anyone else get a really horrible feeling inside them just thinking about that? It does me. I really feel for that guy. :frowning:

And on a similar note -

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … -clamp.htm

Can happen so easily and so quickly from the tiniest lapse in concentration. :frowning:

Sorry Rob K,under the impression you already had a brain injury :laughing:

A young lad of 19 was killed in robinsons freight yard in Dublin the exact same way a few years back, terrible way to go. I knew the lad driving the lorry, he was never right after it as the chap that died was a mate of his. Terrible stuff.

No, it certainly doesn’t. One has to have sympathy all round, the driver must have felt pretty bad, though what he could see at the end of a 45’ traier in the dark…■■?

Rob K:
And on a similar note -

Can happen so easily and so quickly from the tiniest lapse in concentration. :frowning:

But the thing is Rob neither were lapses in concentration. On both occasions somebody did something really stupid. And they should have known it was stupid. I had someone do the same a little while ago as I was backing on to a bay and still moving. I have say I have sympahthy for the first driver, as it wasn’t really his fault, I imagine it’s hard to see a head in the dark as your backing on to the bay. The only safe way to do it is leave the driver do his manoeuvre then when he’s stopped if he’s not in position go outside and tell him,

switchlogic:

Rob K:
And on a similar note -

But the thing is Rob neither were lapses in concentration. On both occasions somebody did something really stupid. And they should have known it was stupid. I had someone do the same a little while ago as I was backing on to a bay and still moving. I have say I have sympathy for the first driver, as it wasn’t really his fault, I imagine it’s hard to see a head in the dark as your backing on to the bay. The only safe way to do it is leave the driver do his manoeuvre then when he’s stopped if he’s not in position go outside and tell him,

Yes, a ‘lapse in concentration’ was a poor choice of phrase, but still, they didn’t pause to think before doing what they did and both resulted in serious injuries. I’m sure we’ve all done similar stupid stuff in our lifetimes but been incredibly lucky and gotten away with only a few cuts and bruises - I know I have. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I mean this is something I’ve been guilty of through not engaging my brain : roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … injury.htm. Fortunately for me I landed on my side and not my head otherwise it could’ve been me featuring in that story, but I still had some nasty injuries to my leg, foot, hip, arm, elbow and shoulder.

:frowning:

On one of my first jobs I was driving a 360 digger inside the steelworks in Sheffield.I was 19 at the time
They used to close down the blast furnaces for maintenance and repair during there annual holidays.
I was one of a team that was working there on 24 hours shifts.They were also working on the overhead cranes that ran on railway lines. I was working inside the digger when 2 bodys dropped down right next to the digger. I thought at first it was equipment that had dropped until I saw clearly the 2 bodys. I jumped out of the digger as all hell broke loose.
It turned out 2 guys had been on top of the overhead crane and the power had not been switched off. A 3rd guy had not seen the 2 on top of the crane and moved it to another position. The 2 on top just fell off with the movement and fell to there death 45 feet below hitting a concrete floor.
The worst part of this story is the guy who moved the crane was the son of one of the guys that fell to his death. A very tragic true story.

Marcelleke:
On one of my first jobs I was driving a 360 digger inside the steelworks in Sheffield.I was 19 at the time
They used to close down the blast furnaces for maintenance and repair during there annual holidays.
I was one of a team that was working there on 24 hours shifts.They were also working on the overhead cranes that ran on railway lines. I was working inside the digger when 2 bodys dropped down right next to the digger. I thought at first it was equipment that had dropped until I saw clearly the 2 bodys. I jumped out of the digger as all hell broke loose.
It turned out 2 guys had been on top of the overhead crane and the power had not been switched off. A 3rd guy had not seen the 2 on top of the crane and moved it to another position. The 2 on top just fell off with the movement and fell to there death 45 feet below hitting a concrete floor.
The worst part of this story is the guy who moved the crane was the son of one of the guys that fell to his death. A very tragic true story.

Shocking story. :cry:

Marcelleke:

With the things that i have seen, this would shock me. Shocking news

The Tuffnells one happened to a lad where I worked, in fact I was at school with him too, he worked on the bank at United Carriers and was in the back of the van sorting. I cannot remember exactly why, but the van was moved while Micky was still in there, as they got close to the wall Micky popped his head round the corner and was trapped. This was about 35 years ago and I know it affected his judgement because he still supports Hull City :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

He was a very lucky lad and in those days it was called an accident.

But to this day, if I am on a bay and get a shout or a green light I still go and check the trailer is empty and the ramp is raised, even if I cannot see into the trailer I will take a photograph on my phone.

switchlogic:

Rob K:
And on a similar note -

But the thing is Rob neither were lapses in concentration. On both occasions somebody did something really stupid. And they should have known it was stupid.

Indeed. Mr Darwin’s theory at work.

We very nearly had this happen where I worked unloading containers. The ramp was a bit iffy so the wagons had to stop a little further forward than they usually would. Normally we’d shout the driver or flick the lights on and off when they got to the right point. As the container backed on, the new guy from the agency, who’d only been with us a couple of days decided to lean out the door to give a thumbs up. The driver didn’t see and kept coming back untill he hit the buffers.

Some deity or sheer luck must have been looking down on him as the trailer just missed the guys head but left a gap so small he couldn’t get his head back through. At that point the shouts from the 3 of us standing at the bay alerted the driver who pulled forward enough to get the guy back inside, shaken up and with a scratch on his head but otherwise he was fine. Wouldn’t have thought accidents like this would be so common but it appears they happen quite a bit :S

The Pariah:
We very nearly had this happen where I worked unloading containers. The ramp was a bit iffy so the wagons had to stop a little further forward than they usually would. Normally we’d shout the driver or flick the lights on and off when they got to the right point. As the container backed on, the new guy from the agency, who’d only been with us a couple of days decided to lean out the door to give a thumbs up. The driver didn’t see and kept coming back untill he hit the buffers.

Some deity or sheer luck must have been looking down on him as the trailer just missed the guys head but left a gap so small he couldn’t get his head back through. At that point the shouts from the 3 of us standing at the bay alerted the driver who pulled forward enough to get the guy back inside, shaken up and with a scratch on his head but otherwise he was fine. Wouldn’t have thought accidents like this would be so common but it appears they happen quite a bit :S

I bet he needed new pants