Does full ADR course have to be done to count towards CPC?

Hi guys does anyone know how it works with regards to ADR counting towards periodic CPC? Are you awarded so many hours per module sat or do you have to do the full package?

ADR as 28 hours of CPC… viewtopic.php?f=5&t=128053

Thanks for that, but still not sure whether it would apply to me. I have just done my initial CPC. So as I understand I have to do 5, 7 hours worth of training to renew it in 5 years time. I can get ADR classes 1,2 and 3 at work when my ADR runs out in 4 years time. Do you know if this will count towards my CPC?

dan2k7:
Thanks for that, but still not sure whether it would apply to me. I have just done my initial CPC. So as I understand I have to do 5, 7 hours worth of training to renew it in 5 years time. I can get ADR classes 1,2 and 3 at work when my ADR runs out in 4 years time. Do you know if this will count towards my CPC?

I believe just about all ADR courses are JAUPT accredited, but you need to check this with your provider! If it is accredited, then this will count as CPC!

ADR courses can vary, but generally they are divided into 2 parts,
The first is the core module along with all the different hazard classes. This is normally 3.5 days long and will give you 21 hours of CPC
The second is the tanks module which is a “bolt on”, and runs for 1 day, so gives you 7 hours of CPC.

I’m not 100% clear why you only mention classes 1,2 &3… You might be able to do a reduced core module (or rather reduced number of hazard classes) but I doubt it would be any cheaper. Therefore its probably a waste of money if you’re paying the same and not getting all the hazard classes. (with the normal exception of classes 1 & 7)

Thank you for that very helpful. Its military. I can only justify needing classes 1,2 and 3 at the moment. What proof do you need in order to satisfy the CPC? Would I need a letter from the provider?

dan2k7:
Thank you for that very helpful. Its military. I can only justify needing classes 1,2 and 3 at the moment. What proof do you need in order to satisfy the CPC? Would I need a letter from the provider?

The training provider uploads it to the system, you don’t have to do anything.
Although chasing them to ensure they have done it is a good idea, as I think they only have 7 days to do it…

dan2k7:
Hi guys does anyone know how it works with regards to ADR counting towards periodic CPC? Are you awarded so many hours per module sat or do you have to do the full package?

Hi dan2k7,

The short answer to your question is… no, you don’t have to do a full ADR course to gain periodic DCPC hours.

The DCPC hours are awarded for each completed period of 3.5hrs OR 7 hrs, depending on how the ADR provider has gone about timetabling their ADR course.

DCPC hours are NOT automatically given, so you’ll probably have to discuss your options with the ADR provider.

Speaking very generally and from the info you’ve given… you can probably get 14 DCPC hours for the Core, Packs and Class 2 or Class 3 modules of an ADR course.

You do have the option to attend the whole course, but to only take the exams for the modules that you have chosen.
Using the commonest timetabling format, you’ll need to listen carefully on day #1, day #2 and part of day #3 of a normal ADR course, then you have the option to just sit there for the rest of day #3 just so that you ‘attended’ for DCPC purposes, or have the rest of day #3 in the pub!

If you take the option to just sit in for the rest of day #3, you’ll end up with 21hrs DCPC as long as you’ve made your choices clear to the provider.

Some providers have got their ADR tanker module approved for 7hrs DCPC, but that’s completely optional.

You can’t get any DCPC hrs for renewing your ADR Class 1 module because the Class 1 module can’t get approval for DCPC.
Besides that, not all ADR providers are authorised to offer the Class 1 module.
If you need to do the Class 1 module, please shout up with an approximate location, then I’ll probably be able to give you contact details for an ADR provider approved for Class 1 within a reasonable distance.

Evil8Beezle:

dan2k7:

Although chasing them to ensure they have done it is a good idea, as I think they only have 7 days to do it…

You have to ask to have it uploaded as part of your DCPC and pay the extra, using an ADR course as part of your DCPC is an option and is not automatic.

Rentadent:

Evil8Beezle:

dan2k7:

You have to ask to have it uploaded as part of your DCPC and pay the extra, using an ADR course as part of your DCPC is an option and is not automatic.

That’s why I said to check the course was accredited…

I was about to say our forum ADR expert will be along at some point, and as if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared! :grimacing:

dieseldave:
The DCPC hours are awarded for each completed period of 3.5hrs OR 7 hrs, depending on how the ADR provider has gone about timetabling their ADR course.

If I may, (as I think I’m right :wink:) qualify this a little more for the OP.
CPC modules can only be credited as a 7 hour period/block, but this can be split over a rolling 24 hour period.
So you could do 3.5 hours in the afternoon, and another 3.5 hours the following morning to make up a 7 hour block!

21 if you don’t do tanks

Evil8Beezle:
ADR courses can vary, but generally they are divided into 2 parts,

There are a total of 12 ADR modules to choose from.

The absolute minimum needed to gain an ADR qualification is:

Core +
Either Packages OR Tanks (ONE of these MUST be taken) +
At least ONE of the Classes.

The exceptions to this are:
Core + Class 1 is OK
Core + Class 7 is OK

Evil8Beezle:
I’m not 100% clear why you only mention classes 1,2 &3…

Most of the military guys I teach usually arrive with exactly this combination of ADR modules on a valid certificate.
Those leaving the military generally choose to expand their new ADR qualification to cover all of the ‘general’ classes (2,3,4,5,6,8&9) but most don’t opt to renew the Class 1 as there’s not that much call for it outside of the military.

Evil8Beezle:
You might be able to do a reduced core module (or rather reduced number of hazard classes) but I doubt it would be any cheaper. Therefore its probably a waste of money if you’re paying the same and not getting all the hazard classes. (with the normal exception of classes 1 & 7)

A decent ADR provider will have priced each module separately because there are many possible reasons for a customer requiring a cut-down version of an ADR licence that fits their exact requirements.

Evil8Beezle:
I was about to say our forum ADR expert will be along at some point, and as if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared! :grimacing:

dieseldave:

If I may, (as I think I’m right :wink:) qualify this a little more for the OP.
CPC modules can only be credited as a 7 hour period/block, but this can be split over a rolling 24 hour period.
So you could do 3.5 hours in the afternoon, and another 3.5 hours the following morning to make up a 7 hour block!

Of course you may… and you’re correct! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

Your showing your age now Mr Benn :smiley: :smiley:

I could be wrong, but if you’ve literally only just done your initial CPC, you’d be best waiting a while before doing anymore CPC… I believe any additonal hours done within the first 12 months of gaining CPC (either initial or periodic) can’t be ‘banked’ to count for the next period.

Check with the training provider though!

Chris1207:
I could be wrong, but if you’ve literally only just done your initial CPC, you’d be best waiting a while before doing anymore CPC… I believe any additonal hours done within the first 12 months of gaining CPC (either initial or periodic) can’t be ‘banked’ to count for the next period.

News to me if that’s correct

PaulNowak:

Chris1207:

News to me if that’s correct

Same here and I hope not, as I’ll lose 4 days! :imp:

Chris1207:

They can and it depends on who is paying. If its the forces paying for his ADR then do it and get the extra DCPC hours.

A ‘major’ training provider told me that when I enquired about getting CPC credits for a course I was considering after I’d just passed Class 2 & mod 4. Whether it was ■■■■■■■■ or not, who knows, I couldn’t be arsed calling DVSA to check and decided not to do the course anyway. Hence… check with training provider, it may well be ■■■■■■■■. or if it wasn’t, the goalposts may well have changed - like those with grandfather rights can now do initial CPC instead of 35 hours. Supposedly. Maybe. If they’re feeling in the mood…

As usual, there’s no detailled guidance to be found anywhere, makes you wonder if they make this ■■■■ up as they go along.

Beez, if you’re signed up for the online CPC thing, check if any additional hours are logged there. If they are, then you have them. It doesn’t let the provider upload hours if they aren’t valid. It’s down tonight, but here’s the link: gov.uk/check-your-driver-cp … ning-hours

Chris1207:
A ‘major’ training provider told me that when I enquired about getting CPC credits for a course I was considering after I’d just passed Class 2 & mod 4. Whether it was [zb] or not, who knows, I couldn’t be arsed calling DVSA to check and decided not to do the course anyway. Hence… check with training provider, it may well be [zb]. or if it wasn’t, the goalposts may well have changed - like those with grandfather rights can now do initial CPC instead of 35 hours. Supposedly. Maybe. If they’re feeling in the mood…

As usual, there’s no detailled guidance to be found anywhere, makes you wonder if they make this [zb] up as they go along.

Beez, if you’re signed up for the online CPC thing, check if any additional hours are logged there. If they are, then you have them. It doesn’t let the provider upload hours if they aren’t valid. It’s down tonight, but here’s the link: gov.uk/check-your-driver-cp … ning-hours

Cheers for the link Chris, I’ll check when it’s back up…
Just redone my sums, and it’s 3 days I should have, not 4. So not so much of a loss, although I will be ■■■■■■■ :imp: