Dodgy lights, quick a answer please

I picked up my truck from the garage christmas eve from a 6 weekly, all OK.
I had my first shift last night after my 2 week christmas leave. Tipped and was about to turn back to yard and the display tells me bulb or fuse faulty! N.S dipped beam bulb blown, ■■■■■■ great :angry:
Im back in on a shift tonite and the earliest i can get a bulb is Monday. So whats the worst that can happen?
No one seems to take any notice of all the fricken cars you see flying about with dodgy lights :unamused: atleast i’l fit right in :unamused:

Suggest you learn from this and invest in a set of spare bulbs.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

99% infact 99.9999999999999% sure you wont get pulled and you can get another bulb tomorrow.

now if it was a cardboard number plate… :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Crack on.

gnasty gnome:
Suggest you learn from this and invest in a set of spare bulbs.

Yeah, i know but sods law dictates that a headlight bulb is the only dam one i dont have in the cab :wink:

what truck is it? can you take one of the foglight bulbs out and swap them over?

jessicas dad:
:? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

99% infact 99.9999999999999% sure you wont get pulled and you can get another bulb tomorrow.

now if it was a cardboard number plate… :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Cheers JD :sunglasses:

Coffeeholic:
Crack on.

Yeah, i have to! :laughing:

or if dip and main are both H7 bulbs swap them over for tonight and get it changed tomoz

You can get a really good spare bulb kit from Scania for only £12, comes in a nice box, 3 different screw drivers and multiple fuses. Might not have the exactly the right bulbs in it. May need to invest in the odd bulb of eBay. Get the Osram iPhone application if you have an iPhone, that will tell you what bulbs you need for your truck. Make sure you buy 24v not 12v I did use a 12v bulb by mistake once, couldn’t figure out why my side lights were mega bright! Or buy a Volvo spare bulb kit for £100, maybe theirs comes with a third hand to justify the price hike!

Tockwith Training, providing quality driver instruction since 1971

mucker85:
what truck is it? can you take one of the foglight bulbs out and swap them over?

Its an 07 Merc Axor 2629 and its a halogen bulb so im stuffed till monday. Cheers anyway .

Oh, by the way, according to VOSA’s roadside penalty scheme which has so for generated them over £3 million, it’s a £30 fine for defect lights, you can download the guide off their website. I would confirm it with your boss before setting off that if you get caught, he will reimburse you.

CRAIG-D:
or if dip and main are both H7 bulbs swap them over for tonight and get it changed tomoz

Good advice :slight_smile:

Tockwith Training:
Make sure you buy 24v not 12v I did use a 12v bulb by mistake once, couldn’t figure out why my side lights were mega bright!

Use a 12v bulb instead of the required 24v and it will only be mega bright for a millisecond, or less. After that it will be less than bright. Using a higher watt bulb than required will result in mega bright for a sustained period.

I hope this helps.

CRAIG-D:

That maybe an option, i may take a look later. The main beam is a seperate light from the dip, if both bulbs are the same, could be a go-er. Cheers for that.

Tockwith Training:
You can get a really good spare bulb kit from Scania for only £12, comes in a nice box, 3 different screw drivers and multiple fuses. Might not have the exactly the right bulbs in it. May need to invest in the odd bulb of eBay. Get the Osram iPhone application if you have an iPhone, that will tell you what bulbs you need for your truck. Make sure you buy 24v not 12v I did use a 12v bulb by mistake once, couldn’t figure out why my side lights were mega bright! Or buy a Volvo spare bulb kit for £100, maybe theirs comes with a third hand to justify the price hike!

100 quid for a bulb kit! I’d want it to come with its own swedish model for the night to for that money :laughing:

Kind of, the fog light 12v will generally keep going for quite a while, only know because I fitted a brand new lamp unit on the back of our coach that came complete with bulbs, ready to fit, but the unit must be also used on 12v vehicles because that how it was supplied. The rest of bulbs did live a very short life!

Sounds like your driving a DAF, if they are separates, they are dead easy to get to at least. They do use different bulbs in the main beam unit, it lacks a shield over the end of bulb so you don’t blind people and it won’t fit. All these different bulbs are shaped differently. Also don’t touch the glass when you change it, shortens it’s life.

Tockwith Training:
Oh, by the way, according to VOSA’s roadside penalty scheme which has so for generated them over £3 million, it’s a £30 fine for defect lights, you can download the guide off their website. I would confirm it with your boss before setting off that if you get caught, he will reimburse you.

Yeah, thats not the first time Ive heard that figure banded about to. If i can sucessfully persuade the inspector that its really a car and not a truck though, il be OK surely?? :laughing: Anyway, joking aside, should the worse happen, a couple of hours or so on the time sheet will suffice. :smiling_imp:

Gembo:

CRAIG-D:

That maybe an option, i may take a look later. The main beam is a seperate light from the dip, if both bulbs are the same, could be a go-er.

They are different as far as I remember H7 headlight and H something else for the main beam, H1 I think.

Tockwith Training:
Sounds like your driving a DAF

Gembo:
Its an 07 Merc Axor 2629

I hope this helps.

One of our customers got stopped by VOSA - delayed PG9 for n/s dipped beam and full inspection to clear it.

Steve