Do you prefer to tip your own load?

It is quicker to do it yourself, with the likes of Aldi, hand in papers, on the bay, drive the self propelled fork lift and sometimes in and out of the place in half and hour.But saying the bacon butties are very good at the canteen at Costco at Magna Park, and they did tip me quick.

all depends on what you do, and how your payed.
at the mo, i do nights, and its containers. i get 10 hours minimum, and o.t after that.
if i do a gillingham from basildon, i try and get it done asap, although i don’t tip the load, (not allowed in the box mate :slight_smile: )and can be done in 6 hours, payed for 10.
another job, is basildon to merthyr, (42 ton) drop, swap and back. its a fair old drive, so i just plod and no i’ll get 12 hours.
at the mo, not interested in touching the load.
going back to the job i really like next feb, and its 45ft box trailers mostly, alot of the gear is worth a fair few quid, and some of the runs are a fair few kms, in this job, i always want to be involved with the loading in/out of the trailer, its my responsibility, and i want to make sure its strapped and barred correctly.

The guys that have the Moffat on the back of their trailers get paid a bit more.

I like to tip myself. If I cannot, then I don’t like having to wait for someone else to do it.
Places where you turn up and go on the bay, staying there until tipped is cool, because then they can take as long as they damned well like to tip me, as I’m on break/POA for possibly hours without any sudden instructions to move! :grimacing:

An ideal shift might be 13 hours in length, a 3.5hr drive each way, with 4ish hours at the remote depot, all of it spent on a bay rather than some slowly advancing tip queue that means you’ll run out of hours one way of the other before being tipped. It’s too easy to get WTD “worked more than 6 hours straight” infringements as a result of these damned queues at hubs! :imp:

Winseer:
I like to tip myself. If I cannot, then I don’t like having to wait for someone else to do it.
Places where you turn up and go on the bay, staying there until tipped is cool, because then they can take as long as they damned well like to tip me, as I’m on break/POA for possibly hours without any sudden instructions to move! :grimacing:

An ideal shift might be 13 hours in length, a 3.5hr drive each way, with 4ish hours at the remote depot, all of it spent on a bay rather than some slowly advancing tip queue that means you’ll run out of hours one way of the other before being tipped. It’s too easy to get WTD “worked more than 6 hours straight” infringements as a result of these damned queues at hubs! :imp:

Then drive 3.25 hours, bang in a half hour break, then join the queue. Simples really.

No interest in tipping whatsoever. I’m paid to drive not unload. Don’t catch warehouse staff driving for me do you?! If the job involves tipping yourself I don’t take it. Simple. :smiley:

toby1234abc:
The guys that have the Moffat on the back of their trailers get paid a bit more.

i never did :imp:

As I’ve said before, I think I could cut my daily shift down about 3 and a half hours less if I was allowed to jump on the forks and tip myself, I try it everywhere I go and some places are ok with it but most places, “sorry mate not insured, health and safety” … One day I would love to challenge someone with the clauses of their insurance contract but to actually see if this is true but I haven’t really got a good business head on me.
What makes it worse is when they are really ■■■■ and can’t drive a forklift for love nor money. I just wish every forkie could drive like the boys at all the pallet network hubs.

Truckulent:
No interest in tipping whatsoever. I’m paid to drive not unload. Don’t catch warehouse staff driving for me do you?! If the job involves tipping yourself I don’t take it. Simple. :smiley:

Fair enough but if it gets you 2 hours further down the road for me that could be the difference in having a night out so it’s in my interest to get cracking. I like driving a forklift anyway I find it quite relaxing :slight_smile:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Truckulent:

Fair enough but if it gets you 2 hours further down the road for me that could be the difference in having a night out so it’s in my interest to get cracking. I like driving a forklift anyway I find it quite relaxing :slight_smile:

I can understand that but as I get paid by the hour I don’t really worry too much. Must admit though that some places tip so slowly you wonder if they ever work in between breaks… :grimacing:

I dont mind at all to be honest, give paperwork in, mess around with a pallet truck for a bit, await paperwork again and away we go…sooner do that than sit on a bay twiddling my thumbs any day…

I’m quite happy to unload myself if I can, often it’s quicker than waiting for someone else and you get a bit of exercise while you’re doing it.

i like tipping myself, especially on tanker work, it takes [zb]ing ages with a forklift. :laughing:

Never minded getting stuck in loading and tipping. Unfortunately, most companies’ insurance will only cover their own employees, hence the “Get off that fork-lift” mentality.
And I’ve never had the priviledge of working for that employer who pays more for operating a Moffet. Anybody know who he is? I once questioned a boss about paying me for the extra qualification but he pointed out that it was HE who had paid for the Moffet course anyway!

im lucky enough to tip my self every time by pulling a leaver in the cab :slight_smile:

redbob:
I dont mind at all to be honest, give paperwork in, mess around with a pallet truck for a bit, await paperwork again and away we go…sooner do that than sit on a bay twiddling my thumbs any day…

I dont mind getting a pump truck out and doing my bit sometimes, other times though its not just unwelcome, its bloody dangerous and not necessary. Take a full load of bog roll from SCA for example to Baisingstoke. The load is double stacked the whole way down the trailer and they want me to get up there with a pump truck?

“You are 'avin a bubble my son!”

Each stack is knocking on for 700kgs. Im tipping from a dark trailer into a lit warehouse, where the fork truck then picks em up from the back doors. They park you on a trip hazard and the FLT driver thinks he is Sebastian Vettel. NOT SAFE.

Even SCA load from the side for safety so why should I risk myself for the customer?

nsmith1180:

redbob:

I dont mind getting a pump truck out and doing my bit sometimes, other times though its not just unwelcome, its bloody dangerous and not necessary. Take a full load of bog roll from SCA for example to Baisingstoke. The load is double stacked the whole way down the trailer and they want me to get up there with a pump truck?

Each stack is knocking on for 700kgs. Im tipping from a dark trailer into a lit warehouse, where the fork truck then picks em up from the back doors. They park you on a trip hazard and the FLT driver thinks he is Sebastian Vettel. NOT SAFE.

Even SCA load from the side for safety so why should I risk myself for the customer?

No way I’d do it. Tell them to ■■■■ off…

Truckulent:

nsmith1180:

redbob:

No way I’d do it. Tell them to [zb] off…

I did it once to get the load off then asked to speak to the bloke responsible for H&S. Explained the risks and told him I would not be doing it again. Funny enough, I haven’t been sent back there. I think they may have phoned the boss.

toby1234abc:

You sure about that? I’m sure there are far worse paying driving jobs but from what I gather, most of the other places on the industrial park we run out of pay better. However, there are other benefits such as shift pattern which balance it out.

On topic, I’m salaried so I’d rather tip myself. I hate waiting around though, which is why I don’t think I could do containers. At drops with the Moffat you’re always doing something, and you are in control of how long the drop takes depending on the mood you’re in, how you’re doing for time etc. Get sent to a warehouse for a load and waiting for 3 hours for 26 pallets is just annoying when I know I could have it done in half an hour. I know part of the wait is waiting for the load to be prepared but as far as unloading pallets goes, there is no excuse for it to take any longer than 40 minutes.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not the kind of person who likes to rush, I just like to be busy. If I were hourly paid then maybe I would feel differently.

nsmith1180:
Then drive 3.25 hours, bang in a half hour break, then join the queue. Simples really.

Why a half hour break? You only need 15 minutes to comply with WTD regs…