Do you like your job?

If so why?

I am not starting this thread to hear moaning but to hear a more positive side, if you want to moan there are already plenty of threads for that but just for a change lets see the positive side :sunglasses:

I like the variety my job has, I deliver forklift trucks and we generally get trucks to anywhere in the country at 24 hours notice (though we have core areas) So I can be anywhere.
I have a fairly decent class 2 basic with great overtime rates in an old 53 plate Scania that has been uprated and refurbā€™d about 18 months ago and sad as it seems I am fond of the old girl :blush: :laughing:
I do roughly one night out a week, would do more if asked :wink:
I enjoy the fact I can have my own space driving and yet its quite active when loading and unloading as I insist (obviously) in doing it myself as my ā– ā– ā– ā–  is on the line :wink:
This keeps the body nearly in shapeā€¦

I get around 47 hours a week on a basic 37.5 and the boss is good and fair, though between the drivers we reorganise the planning of loads (say no more :wink: :wink: ) :laughing:

Its a good place to be and I am happy :smiley:

Yes, generally. I run one of the night trunks out of Freightrouteā€™s Gloucester yard. I could earn more elsewhere if I wanted to, but I like the fact that Iā€™m usually in the car on the way home after maybe six or seven hoursā€™ work most nights. The job is nice and easy and I donā€™t have to work stupid hours, but Iā€™m guaranteed 40 hours basic plus five hours overtime every week. The truck is in reasonably good condition and thereā€™s no handball or high street stuff. I get plenty of time to listen to the radio or my ipod, and I get to sit around and read a book when Iā€™m being loaded and unloaded. Iā€™ve certainly had worse jobs.

Iam more than happy!

The only time any of you are going to do my job is when Iam dead.

chester:
Iam more than happy!

The only time any of you are going to do my job is when Iam dead.

What is it you do? Iā€™m not trying to nick your job :laughing: , just curious.

Drift:
If so why?

I love my job, iā€™m retired :open_mouth: :laughing: :unamused:

Iā€™m happy enough for now doing store delivery for Tesco with Stobbies. You hear many people moaning about having their work load maxed out but it just isnā€™t the case. I do around 50-55 hours a week, could do more if needed. It does help if you get along with the planners though and most know what you can and canā€™t do (nice to have an ex driver behind the desk). Working nights means itā€™s mainly the bigger/easier stores with a few tricky ones to keep you on your toes.

I like it and Iā€™m grateful they gave me a chance when I was new (unlike other previous employers) although I do wish there was a bit more distance involved, will see what the new year brings :sunglasses:

Although im not driving but in the office, i still love going to work. Yes it gets very stressful but when the job goes right its a great feeling. Plus you get to have a laugh with some of the drivers. But its not quite driving, but itā€™ll do for now :wink:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

When i reached 65 I ā€œretiredā€ from general haulage and I have been trade plating for the last 5 years,I do enjoy it sometimes, but I miss tramping with my bed behind me. being home every night took some getting used to. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I love the job itself. I like the fact I can say ā€œI worked on that/watched it go upā€ on construction projects. I can say Iā€™ve literally driven through the M&S shop in Witney, been loaded by a JCB in the foyer of the cinema etc. Iā€™ve done a lot recently on a new railway line at Bicester, and things similar which will be around a lot longer than a tin of beans in a supermarket.

Yeah i quite like it just driving round listening to the radio all day. Only thing i dont like is the6-30am start 9am would be much better.

Been here for just over a year now, general haulage with a bit of Palletline now & again, all on Tautliners.
Happy with my lot, got a brand new MAN last Easter, that I try to look after like my own, get the odd night out which I prefer to fighting my way back down the M6 at 5 oā€™clock in the evening.
Management tend to leave us alone to get on with it, very rarely chase us up, I just phone in when Iā€™m empty & available for more work.

Fairly laid back as long as you donā€™t want to get home at 16.30 every day.

Love it go to some interesting places, drive a wagon and drag delivering office furniture, been here 10 yearā€™s some drivers have been here well over 25 years. About three nights out do roughly 48 hours, rarely get hassle off office, we are left alone no back loads either.

I retired from an engineering job when I was 60,thought Iā€™d be glad of a rest.
After 2 weeks I was bored out of my skull.
Good job Iā€™d kept up my class 1 licence all those years since I finished doing middle east nearly 40 years ago.
Went round to an agency who were glad to see me and came up with plenty of work,some good,some awful,but I set my limit on only doing 2 days or nights a week.
After a couple of months I got onto my present firm and have been here,doing two night trunks a week,ever since,Iā€™m now pushing 71,but itā€™s the easiest job Iā€™ve ever done,itā€™s a paying hobby.
Every year at my medical the doctor asks me how much longer Iā€™m likely to be seeing him,and I always say that as long as I keep passing,Iā€™ll keep on coming!

Yes the jobs ok start times are a bit random 02.45 then 13.30 next day but do shops for a well known discount retailer once im out the yard dont get bothered all day, out with a decker 1 day then a rigid the next lol.
Agency at the mo but permanent after Christmas so its all good :slight_smile:

Treated and paid exceptionally well, short hours, do the job well keeping the all important customer happy and nobody bothers you in the slightest, home every night unless the unforseen that goes with lorry driving, good equipment and good vehicle and equipment cleaning facilities, anything wrong is fixed, whats not to like.
Theyā€™ll have to carry me out in a box.

You have to have done the crap to appreciate the good, then the important thing is to not forget what the alternative was and could easily be again, good jobs are increasingly rare, look after it if youā€™re lucky enough to land one.

Yes when I worked full time I thoroughly enjoyed my work and with the added bonus it was well paid and with a decent pension.
I took voluntary redundancy when I was 58 and now only work when I want to and only to keep my hand in and for the crack.
However I would really not want to work full time again especially the way the industry is going.

2 months into my new job & I must say I really enjoy it , plan my own day , get paid for all the hours I work , ot after 8hours , no hassles no pressure , just get on & do what you can , kit is good , people are good & customers are generally ok

I love my job, only been here 3 months but my dads been here 28 years! Deliver caustic soda to power stations and water treatment plants in a tanker. Interesting job with no hassles at all from the office, never get pushed, safety is our watch word, the money ainā€™t bad either

Love it. Only ever done jobs I have loved. I havenā€™t got rich out of it but I have very, very rarely been stressed 9r woken up on Monday morning only to wish the week away immediately. I do a bit of driving and a bit of farm work and firewood for a couple of people self employed. The driving pays better so maybe next year I will try to centre my work on that more. I love the farming too though, and the firewood. Just delivered two loads of logs and got tipped a fiver for one and a bottle of plonk for the other. Done agency driving which wad very varied and the full time jobs have always been varied too requiring more than just mapped out routes and RDCā€™s. Vac tanks, low loaders and crane brick block. I just like driving stuff!!

Yepā€¦Left alone and trusted to do what Iā€™m asked to do. Work in a nice environment with great customers too. Get paid well for what I do. As of last week had a brand new 18t Volvo, but dunno what itā€™ll be come next year as itā€™s gone back to the hire co for the Xmas break.