Do you enjoy driving for a living?

i love driving lorries, but im definitely sick of doing local work, the muppets in the office telling me “you’ll get into that joint no worries mate” then sending me off with a 45ft trailer to get it into somewhere youd be lucky to push in a transit.

yes i do like a challenge but sometimes the stress of backing in blindsided between two bollards 3 metres apart with parked cars on both sides of the road and moving cars nipping around your cab while youre swinging can really pump the sweat.

id prefer to do country work but then i dont wanna do nights out, cant have it every way i suppose

Sometimes …

I like long trunks , go to from a to b back to a or a to b to c back to a …

I hate the short hops and back to base all the time …It’s a recipe to be ■■■■■■ about back to a back to b over to c back to a back to c over to b …
Gets on my ■■■■ :laughing:

Thankfully I,am one of the few that likes long trunks , and thats what I get .

I enjoyed the job a lot…long hours for maybe not always the greatest pay…doing your own thing for the most part…better on a long run…longer the better…got really peed off on a friday afternoon in any country watching normal folk going home to their families in cars.
Fantastic feeling arriving home after being away for a while…48 hours exited ready to get going again.

Its easy now looking back to see only the better bits…you forget things like Stockbridge steel works…french lorry drivers strike…seamans strike…ferries turning into submarines…custom strip outs (normally on the way home) …spread axle toilets…dodgy food resulting in a dose of the galloping pyaka…Scottish motorcycle cops on the Paris ring…couldn’t spell pherpherique!..drivers fighting each other in Bourg… AND THAT WAS ONLY ONE TRIP!!

Yep I’m happy (ish). :laughing:

Decent money for a hassle-free job. Easy.

I am fairly new to the job and I do enjoy it, there are parts of it that I don’t like (long hours) but in the main it’s been OK. I do like the freedom that it gives you, like having your breaks when you want and for as long as you like and when you leave the yard you’re on your own with no one looking over your shoulder.

Until I started driving for a living I’d spent 25 years in engineering (maintenance fitter) and working in a factory environment is totally different, you’ve got a supervisor on your back all day fixed 15 minute breaks and not a second over, you’re om your feet all day and spend most of the time ■■■■■■■ large chunks of machinery around and covered in [zb] and in my case I was on call for 1 day in nine and being dragged out of bed at 3 in the morning to go and fix a conveyor that had snapped was no fun.

Having said all that the money was better (30K) and the jury is out whether I will stay driving as I can’t make the money that I can make in engineering but HGV driving is a much better job

Yes:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Ive answered this question dozens of times and the answer is similar each time. the job is easy most of the time, it gets easier as we are not allowed to do this, do that. in the name of elf and stupidity.

But a different window to look out of each day, a different language to learn a new word in. and they pay me for it :stuck_out_tongue:

The_Jammer:
… Love the driving, but then again ive always been like that all my life im happy as larry if im driving something no-matter what it is. Its always been my ambition to drive class 1, that prob gives me more satisfaction than somebody who just ended up driving. The time i spend driving goes by like its not even time at all. …

I think this is the closest to how I feel, in fact I couldnt put it any better myself so I quoted it :laughing: After a long time in transport; freight, light vans, 7.5t, coaches and (hopefully) soon to be realised dream of big truck driving, being a driver for me is living the dream… doing the only job i’ve never got bored with, the only thing that pretty much consistently puts a smile on my face, AND getting paid for it!! How cool is that■■?

beattun:
i love driving lorries, but im definitely sick of doing local work, the muppets in the office telling me “you’ll get into that joint no worries mate” then sending me off with a 45ft trailer to get it into somewhere youd be lucky to push in a transit.

yes i do like a challenge but sometimes the stress of backing in blindsided between two bollards 3 metres apart with parked cars on both sides of the road and moving cars nipping around your cab while youre swinging can really pump the sweat.

id prefer to do country work but then i dont wanna do nights out, cant have it every way i suppose

you don’t work for Somerfield by any chance do you :laughing: :laughing:

YES:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Yes to the question. Any job i had i always thought, this is ok. But looking back i aint so sure. However these days i am sure. Long may it last :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

yes its a great job apart from the idiots on the road :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Big Roy:
Having said all that the money was better (30K) and the jury is out whether I will stay driving as I can’t make the money that I can make in engineering but HGV driving is a much better job

You could hit over 30k , just have to find the job that you can do it , I know not all the jobs out there will get near it …

If I did a 6th shift twice a month every month for a year I would easily do over 30 k …It would probably put me in the higher tax bracket …
But I don’t :laughing:

This is my 28th year, think i’m getting use to it by now :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yeah, I enjoy it. There are lots of worse jobs you can do.

Yeah I suppose so. It beats working for a living in any case.

Big Roy:

beattun:

you don’t work for Somerfield by any chance do you :laughing: :laughing:

haha , no deliver sugar in melbourne

I was talking about this with me next door neighbour whos a bus driver he reckons his job would be ideal if he didnt have to let folk off and on the bus:)

as for me Im still happy to be driving even if sometimes you spend most of it stuck in traffic or on site waiting to get in to load/unload, I usually have one night out a week and the b&b is paid for so dont have to worry about shelling out and claiming it back at the end of the week, couldnt see myself working in a facrory as that would do my head in

i have to say i love my job, eing paid to travel all over is just what i want!

no i dont like the job as im tired of meeting new generation drivers .and there

i wont do that attitude

the road hogs that give us all a bad name
speeding through towns 2 inches of the car in front

and the stereotypical image the public have of truck drivers
shaved head and tatoos thats not me we cant all look like lucy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: