Do you enjoy driving for a living?

I understand that the majority of us HGV drivers do have a bit of grief to contend with during an average working week.

I also appreciate that we’re seemingly portrayed in a negative way in the press/website forums.

However, after loading this aft i managed to finish at 2.00p.m today and, being able to look at a fairly healthy payslip, i’m wondering whether i’m in a minority - that is - am I in a minority being happy in my work?

I work an average 50 hour week, cover a big section of England, do 2 nights a week yet still enjoy it as a job.

Having never known what i’ve wanted to do with my life (in the vocational sense) i’m of the mind that dring a HGV wasn’t a bad move.

Are you lot in a similar mood despite the odd (perhaps justified) whinge?

:sunglasses:

I feel pretty much as you do, where else could I earn as much for such little effort, with no hassle or stress? This’ll do it for me for the foreseeable future, or until I get the hump about something trivial and shoot myself in the foot which is what usually happens.

Coffeeholic:
This’ll do it for me for the foreseeable future, or until I get the hump about something trivial and shoot myself in the foot which is what usually happens.

How true is that :exclamation:

Trouble is, I think I may have just done it :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

its like most jobs got its up’s and downs as with most things people focus on the downs.

Suppose as well there is so many different types of jobs in trucking, some are very easy others are a heavy hard work.

I quite like my job, i work for agencies but typically only work with a few companies, bosses treat me good, trucks are decent. The jobs i mostly do have a lot of leeway time wise so never rushed or stressed infact the opposite.

Somtimes tho can be a really boring job at times, especially trunking and the night can go in really slow. Somtimes i think the hours are far too long compared to other jobs. Only make decent money if you doing silly hours in most cases.

but when i think back about the jobs i did when i was younger, worked in a factory assembly line screwing in motherboards into PC, that was 12 hour shifts and breaks were to the minute, it was mind numbing and supervisors were complete ■■■■■■■ always on your back. other jobs labouring on building sites or landscape gardening out in this type of weather.

so when i think back trucking is a bit of a skive compared to those jobs and the money is better. so can’t really complain too much.

Kenny1975:
but when i think back about the jobs i did when i was younger, worked in a factory assembly line screwing in motherboards into PC, that was 12 hour shifts and breaks were to the minute, it was mind numbing and supervisors were complete [zb] always on your back. other jobs labouring on building sites or landscape gardening out in this type of weather.

Kenny '75 - presumably , by your member name you’re the same age as me. Hence we’ve been around enough to know we’re on to a relitavely good number.

I’ve done the same, menial jobs as yourself and can honestly say driving a wagon for a living is by far the best way to bring home the bacon.

Quite like mine although always look for another but never find a better one.

Doddle of a job and mixed too from multi drop that can vary from easy to dam right crazy, and some distance work too that breaks up working in same area most of the time.

Nights out what are they? Dont do many, most anyone has done at our place is 6 in a year!

Pays not bad could aways be better, office are headless chickens but dont hassle you on the phone.

Guess down deep I do like mine!

hiabman:

Kenny1975:
but when i think back about the jobs i did when i was younger, worked in a factory assembly line screwing in motherboards into PC, that was 12 hour shifts and breaks were to the minute, it was mind numbing and supervisors were complete [zb] always on your back. other jobs labouring on building sites or landscape gardening out in this type of weather.

Kenny '75 - presumably , by your member name you’re the same age as me. Hence we’ve been around enough to know we’re on to a relitavely good number.

I’ve done the same, menial jobs as yourself and can honestly say driving a wagon for a living is by far the best way to bring home the bacon.

Yeah definatly, especially when you speak to guys still doing these jobs, doing similar hours to us but getting paid minimum wage, which no different rates for overtime or nights.

Or even the jobs with similar or better money where your working in a factory or something and your not allowed to stand still 12 hour shift you have to be working all the time with a boss always on your back.

By and large I like it.

It took a few years to get a decent job though.

I’m a newbie to it compared to you guys but to date, i have to say i quite enjoy it.

I dont find the trunk runs interesting at all. The M8 is ruddy boring.
Multidrops are OK as long as its not rediculous amounts of drops for tiny items.
I quite like going to places i’ve not been, and especially nice wee runs out in the countryside.
I also quite like the general method of working in terms of heres your lines, head out, get back when its done, it gives you a little more freedom and your time is what you make it if you know what I mean.

I totally get Kenny’s comments about the line operator stuff. No chance of me going back to that. Ever wondered how when you open a computer spare or add-on and you see that little resealable bag with a few screws in it anda tiny label saying " Screws X4 " ?

been there, done that, 12hour nightshifts of screws into bagsand little labels on the bags. :unamused: Never again !

Well i have done it for 27 years so it is a good job i like it :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve been in this job for almost 3 years. Thats coming up for a record.

I think it’s OK.

Yup, I like it too!
Got a good bunch of folk to work with, we chat between us most days.
We’re never alone either, always got the office to rant to.
Perhaps i’m lucky, I get a variety of work, multi-drop and longer distance,
I like variety…

Only been driving for about three and a half years. Must admit I thought I had made a mistake at first. But there are different types of driving jobs so it’s a case of finding one that suits you. At the moment I have and I’m quite happy.
Could do with a bit more variation of the area I cover but I can live with it

yup

i am one of those sick people that enjoy going to work and no i dnt have any spotlights or funky curtains or a fancy paint job :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:
or until I get the hump about something trivial and shoot myself in the foot which is what usually happens.

Is that a reference to how you feel about no longer being an O/D neil? (just wondering if you ever regret selling up and working (( sorry i mean driving )) for someone else)

oh and to answer the question love the job that it should be but hate the job that it is

Reef:

Coffeeholic:
or until I get the hump about something trivial and shoot myself in the foot which is what usually happens.

Is that a reference to how you feel about no longer being an O/D neil?

No, just a general reference

Reef:
(just wondering if you ever regret selling up and working (( sorry i mean driving )) for someone else)

Not for a minute, second best move I have ever made. The first was starting as an OD when I did but I wouldn’t do it these days.

Still waiting to make my first good move :frowning:

I was a mechanic up until last year, really hated it would never go back to the spanners again. Love the driving, but then again ive always been like that all my life im happy as larry if im driving something no-matter what it is. Its always been my ambition to drive class 1, that prob gives me more satisfaction than somebody who just ended up driving. The time i spend driving goes by like its not even time at all. The only part of my job i consider work is tipping + loading the trailer for the next day (delivering steel btw). So-Far so good, but everyone tells me ill soon get sick of it.

I think its better than working for a living,
I enjoy my job 9 days out of 10, the 10th day seems to be when the road is full of muppets that cannot drive.