do you do this

stupid question i know but was just wondering do any of you lot take friend or family members on your travels with you :question: :slight_smile:

I always used to take the kids for a run with me whenever I could and now my grandchildren enjoy a ride out.
Of course it all depends on who you work for and if it is allowed under company rules.

i can remember going out in the truck up & down the country with my grandfather in the 80’s :smiley:

i have done in the past.

i took my daughter to germany with me once, a representative from roadchef and a reporter from truck and driver a couple of times - once on a ferry crossing and once for a week out.
it’s great working for someone who allows you to do this.

in the 90’s i used to take my dad with me quite a bit, france more than a few times, holland, germany and switzerland on a few occassions too but he’s too old now and requires too much attention to come along with me these days - he did used to enjoy our times out and i often hear of him boasting down the pub with his mates about it, he needs his own transport these days - the fastest mobility scooter in the town - bless him.
i’ve also took complete strangers too, some female and some male.
i picked a bloke up in germany early this year - he was english and had been living in germany for about 12 years, i knew him because he was working a building site near a delivery point i went to regularly and i had enjoyed a few beers with him and his mates on a few occassions, he wanted a lift home because the poles had undercut the rates in germany and he wouldn’t work for the same money as they would.

dont see my little girl much apart from sunday so if the chance to take her on holidays comes i do ,

My boy is 8 years old and comes away with me at least once every school holiday.

We have multidropped around Cornwall, to rural mid-Wales, and to Snowdonia, and been to Belgium three times. He started off coming away for 2/3 days, but now does a week away. He loves it.

I have tried to put him off coming away with me next month (too cold, too dark) but he isn’t having any of it. Spain maybe?

I take our Dan out with me whenever he’s on holiday from school, have done ever since he was a baby in arms. Boss doesn’t mind in fact when I need a second man for either a double stacking job or as an attendant because I’m too wide he gives him a wage for the day.

I really look forward to the school holidays, I get loads of proper quality time with him and when I get to site I can just sit and have a coffee and leave the unloading to him

got me thinking this thread when i used to go with my dad many moon,s ago it was definatly son to son or man to man talk time if you like some of my best times i used to love selling the pallets as that was my money sort of a wage for me and goin in cafes with proper truck drivers so i thought lol i gues in this trade u love it or hate it as for diesel in me blood always will love the job

even now my eldest son say,s dad can we stop at truck stop for breakfast or when were goin on the motorway is that a topliner (he love,s scan,s)

make me think there gonna follow in my footsteps as i did my dad :smiley:

opps twice

Always went with my dad from about age of 5.
Can take my kids again now i am allowed to as most large companies dont allow the carriage of un authorised passengers.

also taken girlfriends with me all over europe which was great fun for the cab suspension but not my head as they drove me up the wall!!!

Both my boys used to come on trips with me over the years, good but expensive times. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
Both my boys used to come on trips with me over the years, good but expensive times. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

an expense you dont mind :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

True

started going with my dad when he worked for crow carrying, and then later for courtaulds

I work as a recovery driver so ‘strangers’ in the cab is quite normal. I love being able to educate people who’ve never been in a truck as to why we (have to) do many of the things that ■■■■’s them off. I reckon we should encourage car drivers to jump in the cab for a day to experience the difficulties we face on today’s roads,

I know that a lot have left my cab with a better understanding & a little more respect for LGV’s.

I take SWMBO out quite regular & 1 or 2 mates who expressed an interest have joined me on a few RTC’s, although they seldom come back after a particularly gruesome one.

Yeah whenever I could (and sometimes when I shouldn’t!) wasn’t a problem except for the big outfits. He did throw the park brake on on day when he was about 5 :open_mouth: :laughing:

I used to. My lad used to love nighting out when I had a double bunk cab.

Sadly, companies that’ll let you are getting less and less and to make it worse, RDCs such as Safeway won’t allow under 16’s in.

Used to take my daughter with me when I used to work for a couple of firms in the past, but I always asked the boss if it was ok and made sure that daughter/passenger was covered by firms insurance if anything happened.

Occasionally my Daughter and sometimes my mate will tag along for a trip, a few of the guys take Wives, Girlfriends, etc. When asked TM had no problem with it provided they take no active part in the proceedings.

Yeah ive also got fond memories of running home from school as fast as i could on a friday just in time to catch the old fella leaving for work at quarter to 4, he used to do a night trunk from Birmingham down to Dover docks for a company called Falcon, there was him and his mate called Tug i think, running in convoy every night,and even though it was running through the night i never wilted once,the buzz of a 12 year old in a new volvo FH12 with his idol at the wheel,watching him use this highly complex gearbox with hundreds of special switchs was amazing, we always stopped for a brew in a cafe somewhere along the way,where i would listen to tug and the old fella talking trucks/flirting with the woman in the cafe (to young to know what they was goin on about then :laughing: :blush: ) then it was on to Dover, change trailers,park up for another brew in the cafe at the docks, and i always remember looking at all the foriegn wagons parked up for the night in there and thinking, one day,one day that will be me
some of my best child hood memories were of me and my dad ruling the road,and the funny thing for me is when i hear a certain song now on the radio it throws me back to when i was in the scabby Leyland Roadtrain artic tipper he used to drive 15 years ago and i remember hearing this song on a saturday morning when dad had ran into the paper shop and i was sat in the drivers seat for 2 minutes pretending it was my rig,stupid things like that i remember clear as day, and now im the one with a class 1 so i surpose them days out didnt steer me away from it like the old man had hoped :laughing: my kids will be going to oxford or cambridge and will become top judges,and not sleeping in tin boxs 4-5 nights a week :laughing: