Do ineed straps 2

guys, just say im carrying 26 palletts of crisps stacked 1 box high so its a level load all cling filmed up so its a snug fit from front to back without any movment whatsover on a curtain sider,are VOSA saying you need straps? this load looks pretty [zb] secure to me but does it to VOSA man■■?. i carry the same same load every day, so i have never used straps and i will not be loading anything other than crisps on the curtainsider>

yes.

just cross internal straps at last plts
so when going up 20% incline they dont fall back

hse.gov.uk/workplacetranspor … rtains.htm

dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicle … hicles.pdf

See Page 103 article 16.3

I used to haul for Kettle Crisps and except for across the back as Hitch said I never worried about straps and no problems, (and I’m one those drivers who’d always use and extra strap just to make sure) but things seemd to have changed. Common sense has given way to by the book regulations.
So as far as VOSA are concerned a curtiansider trailer is no more than a flat bed with a fancy sheet.
So would you load crisps on a flatbed without securing them?

OK,in that case if you had just tipped and you had an empty single pallett on the headboard to return that also must then be strapped…i thought common sense would prevail but vosa need money i suppose.

elcamino:
OK,in that case if you had just tipped and you had an empty single pallett on the headboard to return that also must then be strapped…i thought common sense would prevail but vosa need money i suppose.

The same reckoning I suppose. Would you carry that same loose pallet on a flat trailer?

Do you remember when drivers carried ropes and sheets, they folded the sheets, put their ropes and dunnage under them and then fastened the sheets to the trailer with a rope over them.

So would you load crisps on a flatbed without securing them

Of course you would secure them on a flat, but I would guess that sheeting them and securing the sheet from flapping etc would be sufficient, which is virtually what you have in a curtainsider.

So much for crisps, let’s consider say, bottled/canned drinks, shrunk wrapped onto pallets then loaded onto stand trailers ready for drop and swap. 26 pallets weighing up to a tonne each.
This from the HSE guidelines.
“Goods transported on curtain-sided vehicles should be secured as if they were being transported on a flatbed”.
(I’m thinking about Coke or Britvic etc. where their own shunter moves the trailers, we just D & S) Usually just two straps across the back two pallets, nowt else except the non-loadbearing curtain. Are we gonna be expected to strap all the pallets to the trailer and with what? Will we need to use corner boards and how will we be expected to place them? We used to do this when Boalloy first introduced the Tautliner, we had to stand on the trailer and place the cornerboards on each pallet followed by the strap from the roof.I see several problems.
We won’t be allowed to stand on the trailer whilst some mad forky is chucking two pallets on at once, we won’t be able to place the cornerboards or straps correctly. Further, with drop and swap who will be responsible for supplying and placing the cornerboards, the driver or the shunter?
Ideas?

None of our trailers have straps in, they’ve all had the straps cut out (previous drivers) so how would i fair if i got a tug??

But you all need to remember that internals are only rated at something like 300 daN so if you had a 1t pallet of booze or something then you would need minimum 4 each side to make it properly secure.

To do things by the book I think we would all need to carry min 26 ratchet straps :S

Complete ■■■■■■■■, glad I’m getting away from the game

Im glad the roof comes down on our ‘load’ and locks it onto the bed…

[/quote]
saves having to strap them down :laughing:

on sunday i did a “regular” job for a print firm. 6 am report for work, curtainsider loaded with 26 pallets of glossy magazines, (no not ■■■■■) not strapped. curtains open. Now glossy mags are packed on bundles of between 25 and 50, with a plastic strap to bind them, then stacked between 50 and 120 bundles per pallet, which is then shrink wrapped. They will move because they are glossy! The load Straps were trapped against headboard by all the pallets. apparantly the regular loader was on holiday, and it was loaded by a temp. No one on site who can use a fork lift, no one in transport, so what are my options?

1. call agency, get someone out of bed, who will call transport company, get someone out of bed, who will call the warehouse manager to get out of bed, to call a fork lift driver to get out of bed to come and lift the pallets off of the straps.
  2. refuse to take the load, throw toys out of the pram and walk off site, go home and back to bed. Next week when they want somebody to do this easy job for £15 per hour, let them call someone else?
  3. use my common sense!

I chose 3. I knew that 3 hours 30 of the 4 hour journey would be on empty motorways on sunday morning. I know that if I drive sensibly over the urban roads, take roundabouts carefully, and allow plenty of brakeing room, they should be ok. So i closed the curtains, took the load unstrapped, drove like an angel to the motorway, and arrived at the drop with not the slightest movement of the load. I did however, report it to the transport manager when i got back and asked him to make sure the warehouse instruct all the forklift drivers not to trap the straps.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry, but strapping 1 box height of crisps on a curtain-sider? Do me a favour… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Elcamino, if you don’t want to be made the laughing stock of every driver at your place then you should just close up the curtains and go. I don’t believe any driver on here would strap that load at all and they’re all pulling your ■■■■■■■

That’s not to say that you might get stopped by a jobsworth VOSA [zb] one day, but if it were me I’d take my chances.

ob

Rob K:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry, but strapping 1 box height of crisps on a curtain-sider? Do me a favour… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Elcamino, if you don’t want to be made the laughing stock of every driver at your place then you should just close up the curtains and go. I don’t believe any driver on here would strap that load at all and they’re all pulling your ■■■■■■■

That’s not to say that you might get stopped by a jobsworth VOSA [zb] one day, but if it were I’d take my chances.

thank you rob for the straight answer,thats the point i was getting at,like you said it all depends on vosa on the day!

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-10848765

so much about securing loads

strapping 26 pallets of crisps, dont be stupid.

infact next time you are empty, ask vosa, i bet he will ■■■■ himself laughing

ive never heard such crap.

greggy:

The times, they are a changing Bob!

But neither would I strap crisps as you will crush them, but I would probably cross a strap around the back pallets

Wheel Nut:

greggy:

But neither would I strap crisps as you will crush them, but I would probably cross a strap around the back pallets

No you wouldn’t Malc! :laughing: :laughing: Where they gonna go anyway? 1 box high… It’s not like they’re gonna topple over and fall out through the back doors is it ? :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:

Wheel Nut:

greggy:

No you wouldn’t Malc! :laughing: :laughing: Where they gonna go anyway? 1 box high… It’s not like they’re gonna topple over and fall out through the back doors is it ? :laughing: :laughing:

Come on who’s really going to be transporting 26 pallets of crisps only one box high?
Unless it’s an 8ft box.