Do I need my digi card?

Heres one for you guys. I’m going to be moving my Granparents from their home in Amersham up to Lincolnshire to be closer to my mum (they are getting old and fragile now) so instead of paying removal men, me and a friend are planning to hire a truck and move them ourselves. My question is, lot of wagons have tacho’s in them, do I need to use my digicard in them?

Second thoughts, you don’t if there is no hire or reward involved.
But…
here’s a thread I dug up on the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75375

Gembo:

you changed that quick. :laughing:

no your not using the vehicle for as said above its no different to your mate that has a 7.5t cat on his licence but hires a vehicle to self move etc

Provided that the Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) or ‘plated weight’ of the vehicle is 7.5 tonnes or less AND the journey is ‘non commercial’ then the use of the vehicle is outside the scope of EU drivers hours and therefore you DO NOT need to use your digital card.

Although there is no weight limit involved with the exemption, you do not need to hold a DQC for this journey, either. You will not need an Goods Vehicle Operator Licence, this could be the sticking point with many hire companies refusing to hire you a vehicle because you haven’t got an O-licence.

Might be a good idea to carry your cards with you. Might also be a good idea to have a letter from your Grandparents confirming that the items carried belong to them and that you are doing this journey out of the goodness of your heart :wink:

Its an 12-14 tonner I’m looking at.

nick2008:

Gembo:

you changed that quick. :laughing:

no your not using the vehicle for as said above its no different to your mate that has a 7.5t cat on his licence but hires a vehicle to self move etc

Yeah I know, I made a quick wrong guess the first time. :laughing:
Seems it gets a whole lot more complicated if you go over 7.5 though.

Radar19:

Then that is under full EU regs but no DCPC required

ROG:

Radar19:

Even if its not for hire or reward?

ROG:

Radar19:

That’s also the conclusion I (eventually) came too after reading various bits & pieces!

As others have said, card required, so hope you have the hours available.

Radar19:

ROG:

Radar19:

Yes because there is no exemption for a vehicle over 7.5 tonnes GVW be it private or commercial

Before you do this, have you got some quotes from some smaller professional removers.

You’d be surprised how cheaply a removal can be had for if you go about it the right way, by having everything boxed and ready so its quick and easy for the movers, and having some green stuff to offer…you might be surprised how small a vehicle needs to be for a standard removal when you know exactly how to load it.

If you were to work the day instead and add the earnings you will be giving up by not working to the comparison, along with saved rental, insurance waivers, fuel etc, plus furniture damage no matter how careful you are, you might well find, as we did, that its just not worth the aggro of DiY for a few quid saved.

ROG:

Radar19:

ROG:

Radar19:

Yes because there is no exemption for a vehicle over 7.5 tonnes GVW be it private or commercial

Indeed.
This is how any derogation is worded on the EU drivers hours and tacho rules:
Quote:
Vehicles used for the carriage of goods within a 50 km
radius from the base of the undertaking and propelled
by means of natural or liquefied gas or electricity, the
maximum permissible mass of which, including the
mass of a trailer or semi-trailer, does not exceed
7.5 tonnes.

In other words, if you don’t meet the above criteria, which you don’t, then you are not exempt.

Here’s the exemptions.
gov.uk/drivers-hours/exemptions-from-eu-law

There’s also a link here you can download a PDF on EU rules which is where the derogation came from that I copied above.
gov.uk/government/publicati … cles-in-gb

Don’t mean to hijack, but I was going to post up a similar question, except I will be using our 7.5t to move my own stuff soon as we are moving house shortly.

So do I need to insert my card but just put it as out of scope, or do I just drive without a card in? How would I explain to DVSA if I got pulled and there was a day of driving with no card in? Or should I say how would my boss explain, as I realise if it’s not work time and my card isn’t in the machine then it’s not really my problem.

I would say, if you have the hours available, then do it on the card and avoid all the possible agro

109LWB:
Don’t mean to hijack, but I was going to post up a similar question, except I will be using our 7.5t to move my own stuff soon as we are moving house shortly.

So do I need to insert my card but just put it as out of scope, or do I just drive without a card in? How would I explain to DVSA if I got pulled and there was a day of driving with no card in? Or should I say how would my boss explain, as I realise if it’s not work time and my card isn’t in the machine then it’s not really my problem.

If its a work truck then to save all the hassle use the card in out of scope and do 2 printouts with an explanation on each - one for you and one for boss

Radar19:
Heres one for you guys. I’m going to be moving my Granparents from their home in Amersham up to Lincolnshire to be closer to my mum (they are getting old and fragile now) so instead of paying removal men, me and a friend are planning to hire a truck and move them ourselves. My question is, lot of wagons have tacho’s in them, do I need to use my digicard in them?

As they are old and fragile you are going to have to think about protection and restraint for them so they don’t get broken in transit. Bubble wrap is probably going to be a must, corner boards to stop straps rubbing against them when they are secured to the vehicle might also be a good idea.

Radar19:

Good luck finding someone to hire you one. Hiring them out to people without an operators license ended ages ago.

Well packaged you’d be surprised at how little space a house full takes up. We moved my brother, his wife and 2 kids from a 3 bed house with one 7.5 tonner and a couple of estate cars. As it turned out, quite a bit of the stuff we moved just ended up in the garage of the new house for a couple of years before being thrown out.

Coffeeholic:

Radar19:

As they are old and fragile you are going to have to think about protection and restraint for them so they don’t get broken in transit. Bubble wrap is probably going to be a must, corner boards to stop straps rubbing against them when they are secured to the vehicle might also be a good idea.

Coffeeholic:

Radar19:

Thanks Coffeeholic - my family think im mad sitting here with a maniacal grin in my face.