Do drivers/Companies get in trouble for being early?

I was driving along a single carriage A road earlier today and came up behind an unnamed truck (yellow, red sign, delivering to a well known DIY store) doing between 25-30mph for about 8 miles, so this got me wandering about the subject question.

“Delivery Windows” and the “Just in Time” model are outmoded.

They do not and cannot allow for a rapid expansion of capacity and the economy, anymore than the roads do…

Has everyone noticed that road traffic seems to have reached an all-time high of “overcrowding” - mainly with people that do not actually need to be there!

…Blame lack of investment in our transport industry as a whole.
The entire country’s large towns should have something like cheap park & ride by this point, - but no. :frowning:

park and ride can be a fialure too, have you seen how many cars try to get out of the car park at kicking out time, it can be a nightmare, car sharing should be promoted and rewarded, with say free road tax, or free city centre parking for those participating

I don’t know about the stores but I’m fairly certain at B&Q depots the fine is 500 quid if you miss your window. Just what I’ve heard may be wrong but 500 quid is a lot of money in the transport game.

merc0447:
I don’t know about the stores but I’m fairly certain at B&Q depots the fine is 500 quid if you miss your window. Just what I’ve heard may be wrong but 500 quid is a lot of money in the transport game.

B&Q take the ■■■■ with their fines. These are some of the things I believe to be true:
Arrive early or late and the supplier is fined. +/- 30mins of your book in time.
If the shrink wrapping on the pallet isn’t to their standard, the supplier gets fined.

If its the wrong kind of pallet, supplier gets fined.

If the supplier doesn’t put the ASN barcode sticker on the pallet, pallet gets rejected plus supplier fined.

And i dont think its pennies they get fined. Its hundreds of pounds.I don’t know how suppliers can bothered dealing with B&Q. Must cost them to do business with them sometimes.

Excellent money maker for the companies then. I might start doing this in day to day life.

damoq:

merc0447:

B&Q take the ■■■■ with their fines. These are some of the things I believe to be true:
Arrive early or late and the supplier is fined. +/- 30mins of your book in time.
If the shrink wrapping on the pallet isn’t to their standard, the supplier gets fined.

If the supplier doesn’t put the ASN barcode sticker on the pallet, pallet gets rejected plus supplier fined.

And i dont think its pennies they get fined. Its hundreds of pounds.I don’t know how suppliers can bothered dealing with B&Q. Must cost them to do business with them sometimes.

Supplier gets fined

its the same for Sainsbugs …as the haulage is by a company working for them they have window times imposed, miss that window they get fined . we have a similar thing for our out base contract…

simon1argyle:
I was driving along a single carriage A road earlier today and came up behind an unnamed truck (yellow, red sign, delivering to a well known DIY store) doing between 25-30mph for about 8 miles, so this got me wandering about the subject question.

Your answer is to be found in this thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=117713

We get in ■■■■ for delivering early because of fines imposed by customers & the fact delivery performance is one of the things we are judged on when it comes to contract renewal time.

If your late your late, if your early you could have waited.

damoq:

merc0447:

They used to tell us this, I think it’s a driver myth that’s got out of hand,I mean how can B&Q legally fine a company.

They used to tell us this, I think it’s a driver myth that’s got out of hand,I mean how can B&Q legally fine a company.

B&Q are one of many companies that can, and do fine suppliers for not hitting delivery windows. B&Q fine upto £1000/ hour.

These are written into supplier/customer contracts, so is perfectly legal.

What is wrong with arriving early? Better than late.

And why do companies refuse late deliveries? Do they want the stuff or not?

Darkside:

B&Q are one of many companies that can, and do fine suppliers for not hitting delivery windows. B&Q fine upto £1000/ hour.

These are written into supplier/customer contracts, so is perfectly legal.

And we wonder why transport is buggered,why are hauliers too scared to grow a pair and start fining for delays.

And we wonder why transport is buggered,why are hauliers too scared to grow a pair and start fining for delays.

Hauliers should have waiting time written into contracts. £40/hour after two hours is a typical figure. The larger hauliers will as a matter of course. This is why drivers should ring in when delayed so it can be booked.

yorkshire terrier:

Darkside:

because daft hauliers UNDERCUT AND ■■■■■ THE PROFIT ON THE JOBS JUST TO GET THE WORK! :open_mouth: :unamused: :imp: defeats the object really :grimacing:

yorkshire terrier:

damoq:

merc0447:

They have a non conformance report that gets filled in with every delivery they receive, with a list of things to check as long as your arm. I’ve seen the sheet with my own eyes when I’ve delivered to their Cambuslang RDC. I don’t know what the fines are but like I say, its not just a few quid.

Big Companies like B & Q tend to state clearly their requirements for pallets (GKN Blue, Euro whatever), shrink wrapping bar codes etc to suppliers before they receive any goods from them and if the supplier does not want to play by their rules they will go elsewhere. These guys have their systems set up to handle things a certain way and if stuff turns up not how they spec’d it, it tends to bggr things up.

Not saying it is right just the way it is

Its a pity they (B&Q) are not as hot on safety in their stores. Maybe they need as much money as they can get to pay for the personal injury claims against them! telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ … death.html
thefreelibrary.com/CUSTOMER+ … 0196782533