Digs in the 60s

can anyone remember the days before sleepers when it was cab it across the seats or find digs, I used to stop at the RANCHnear dunstable on the A5 It was run by an ex sailor called Walley. the grub was fantastic but the beds were a bit iffy as I remember.

rocky 7:
can anyone remember the days before sleepers when it was cab it across the seats or find digs, I used to stop at the RANCHnear dunstable on the A5 It was run by an ex sailor called Walley. the grub was fantastic but the beds were a bit iffy as I remember.

Hi Rocky, yep we would all carry our little black book back in those days with the numbers for return loads and most important a list of numbers for half decent ‘digs’. I was lucky 'cause I inherited some from my father and elder brothers. Nevertheless there was always the time that you had to resort to cab hotel which wasn’t so bad in the summer but if you weren’t well prepared in the winter would be hell. I knew a chap that would always park up for the night next to a phone box and I thought he did it so as to phone his wife.what a nice chap. Later I found out he used to take the bulb out and plug his electric fire in !! Mind you if you required an early start then you had to ‘cab it’. After loading at Crossfield Chemicals, Warrington, I would quite often find my self ‘cabbing it’ at Poplar Cafe, Lymm. No not Lymm Truck Stop but the old cafe in front of Poplar Motors yard.

One of the best digs in the 60s and 70s was “Kittys” at Ross on Wye other good one’s were “Cliff Hoares” Southampton “Sunset” at Penkridge (A449) and one on Portabella which was always exceptional and Chapelhall near Airdrie there was a good one in Sheperds Bush and I carn’t remember the ladys name but you had your breakfast down in the basement and she only did B&B but there was plenty of places to get a meal at night when I can get the brain working there is quite a few more hidden away.

1968-1971—111 alpha street,Slough was a small 2bedroom terrace house.The lady was Nell,formidable presence.She could squeeze 7/8 drivers in the bedrooms and on a make-up bed downstairs.Dinner was 6.00pm,breakfast7.00am.Regular drivers every week.I was on for Archbolds,loading Aspro on Bath road.I was there every Mon andWed for nearly 3 years.Tony and Les from Hepworths tailoring,Fergie from Armouride,Keith from DCL,Frank and Cedric from a shoe company,many others in the mists of time.Any one remember"Nells"?

welshphil:
1968-1971—111 alpha street,Slough was a small 2bedroom terrace house.The lady was Nell,formidable presence.She could squeeze 7/8 drivers in the bedrooms and on a make-up bed downstairs.Dinner was 6.00pm,breakfast7.00am.Regular drivers every week.I was on for Archbolds,loading Aspro on Bath road.I was there every Mon andWed for nearly 3 years.Tony and Les from Hepworths tailoring,Fergie from Armouride,Keith from DCL,Frank and Cedric from a shoe company,many others in the mists of time.Any one remember"Nells"?

Aye,I remember Nell Knowles phil,the old bugger :laughing: .One of Hepworths always took her dog for a walk,thought it was Cedric.I worked for A.E.Evans tankers and it was handy for ICI Slough and a good lorry park nearby.Hartmann Fibres used to stay there as well and she caught one cabbing it on the lorry park and banned the lot from the digs.She wouldn’t have any Scottish drivers either IIRC.What was the name of the boozer round the corner,can you remember? You needed a shoehorn to get in bloody bed and it was a challenge if you wanted a p*** in the night. :smiley:

I think one of the best i stayed in[cant remember name]but it was the brs dig in wisbech.If you had to wait till morning to get loaded in the brs depot with dog food they used to run you there in a van and pick you up in the morning,e/thing there FANTASTIC.Another one was the ponderosa at east dereham,the good old days.
regards dave.

my wifes great grandma rang digs in Kendal called clara’s the building is still there but is now a private house anyone remember her??

Another place I remember was in Kings Lynn.You parked on the lorry park near the roundabout and a van picked you up,through that arch and into town.It was a friday and I can’t remember the name of this place either :unamused: but it was so cold me and my mate slept in overalls and donkey jackets along with three Worksop BRS drivers who were the same-frozzen!!
I got up at about 2-00am on the saturday morning,got me case and walked to the wagon - a nice comfy MK3 AEC - in driving snow and prayed it would fire up,which it did,and was away to Scunthorpe to tip and to hell with the hours off.The A17 was white over with snow and I didn’t see another wagon till about Sleaford area.The first cafe I found open was in Kirton Lindsey at 6-30,was I ready for a brew. :laughing: About quarter of an hour later my mate turned up,just about thawed out.
Them were t’days. :slight_smile:

The dog was called Mickey,normally Tony from Hepworths took him out.Round the corner the pub was the Floral Arms and just across the road was the Red Cow.Supper was a cream cracker and slice of cheese,you could see the tv through the cheese it was so thin.S&R and Harold Woods were regular,can’t remember the pthallic driver’s name on Woods --Ken something.The only Scot she allowed was a day sleeper for Coates,did London–Glasgow night trunk.

welshphil:
The dog was called Mickey,normally Tony from Hepworths took him out.Round the corner the pub was the Floral Arms and just across the road was the Red Cow.Supper was a cream cracker and slice of cheese,you could see the tv through the cheese it was so thin.S&R and Harold Woods were regular,can’t remember the pthallic driver’s name on Woods --Ken something.The only Scot she allowed was a day sleeper for Coates,did London–Glasgow night trunk.

You are right phil,it was Tony who took Mickey out and the pub I used was the Floral Arms.And yes,the cheese was see through.I didn’t know she had a day sleeper.I remember she wasn’t happy when I said I was going to let meself out early,about 0500 as I had a 0600 tip at ICI,she didn’t want the other drivers disturbing she said.Anyroad I paid her and went without breakfast and that was the last time I used the place,around 1972.
I’ve been in worse digs than those,a lot worse.

Hiya Rocky 7, can you remember if Chris’s Cafe just outside High Wycombe was doing bed and breakfast in the 60’s :slight_smile: .

Regards Steve.

mushroomman:
Hiya Rocky 7, can you remember if Chris’s Cafe just outside High Wycombe was doing bed and breakfast in the 60’s :slight_smile: .

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve late 60s yes as I recall it was a bit tight getting in with a Scammell Contractor that would be 67 as I started mating and was driving in 68

I remember the Four Oaks on the A13 Rainham.A young lad used to park you up,early starters to the front,backing in off the road.
BRS wagons were always at the back of course. :laughing: What was the boozer called next door,anybody remember?

peterq5422:
my wifes great grandma rang digs in Kendal called clara’s the building is still there but is now a private house anyone remember her??

Blimey, Clara’s at Kendal, that brings back loads of memories. I use to run out of Southampton for Smith of Maddiston, and Kendal was a days work. We stopped there regularly, good food/ breakfast.
I remember one trip , would be in the early '70’s, it snowed from Preston to Kendal. When I eventually got in, late, the place was packed, as loads of drivers were looking for digs because of the horrendous weather. When I booked in and paid she said " Smith ( she always refered to you by your company name) you’re in the bath to-night. I told her I’d had a bath last week, " NO! that’s where you’re sleeping ,we’re packed out" I could’nt complain, drivers were everywhere,on the landing, in the hall, under the table. Great night, and the bath was quit comfortable !! How she couped with so many, all fed and watered I don’t know, but she did.
Thanks for bringing that memory back.

I used to use the Four Oaks regular. I remember the Sunset Cafe at Penkridge which I also used regular. Ma Shepherd’s, Penrith, Mrs Clay, Quinton Rd Coventry, Bellinghams Newcastle upon Tyne, the Hilltop Blyth, The Haven Doncaster, The Hollies, The Moss Todhills Carlisle and not forgetting the Jungle at the bottom of Shap and many others!
Should Auld Aquaintence be Forgot?
Alex

Just remembered a few more, Brays Aldgate & Liverpool Rd London, Sunset Strip Wembley, Stainmore Cafe on the 66, I quit, I could be here all night!!
Alex

Stayed in Claras in Kendal many times, House in the corner at the River even in normal times somebody slept in a Bed on the Landing halfway up the Stairs,remember she used to make Rice Pudding in a big Basin with two Handles your Mother used to do her Washing in and kept it warm in front of the Fire an old fashioned Range.think it was a favorite stop for Allisons o Dundee if i can remember right.

alexsaville:
Just remembered a few more, Brays Aldgate & Liverpool Rd London, Sunset Strip Wembley, Stainmore Cafe on the 66, I quit, I could be here all night!!
Alex

Was that same Brays as the one in Islington where all the North men stopped.

ben walker:

alexsaville:
Alex

Was that same Brays as the one in Islington where all the North men stopped.

Bray’s ,Liverpool Road, burned down sometime in the early 70’s a few people died in that incident.

Dave.

Fergie47:

peterq5422:

Blimey, Clara’s at Kendal, that brings back loads of memories. I use to run out of Southampton for Smith of Maddiston, and Kendal was a days work. We stopped there regularly, good food/ breakfast.
I remember one trip , would be in the early '70’s, it snowed from Preston to Kendal. When I eventually got in, late, the place was packed, as loads of drivers were looking for digs because of the horrendous weather. When I booked in and paid she said " Smith ( she always refered to you by your company name) you’re in the bath to-night. I told her I’d had a bath last week, " NO! that’s where you’re sleeping ,we’re packed out" I could’nt complain, drivers were everywhere,on the landing, in the hall, under the table. Great night, and the bath was quit comfortable !! How she couped with so many, all fed and watered I don’t know, but she did.
Thanks for bringing that memory back.

Mrs. Ediss was her second name I knew one of her sons Norman he worked for a few local firms over the years such as Nelsons of Arnside .When I was a youngster I used to deliver Claras papers----- there was always someone comming and going some of Charlie Alexanders used stop at Claras while the Kendal men tipped and re-loaded for Aberdeen .