Digs in the 60s

sammyopisite:
One of the best digs in the 60s and 70s was “Kittys” at Ross on Wye other good one’s were “Cliff Hoares” Southampton “Sunset” at Penkridge (A449) and one on Portabella which was always exceptional and Chapelhall near Airdrie there was a good one in Sheperds Bush and I carn’t remember the ladys name but you had your breakfast down in the basement and she only did B&B but there was plenty of places to get a meal at night when I can get the brain working there is quite a few more hidden away.

I remember Cliff Hoares wasn’t he a shirt lifter cause I can remember he used say “Hoare by name and Hoare by nature” great dig though !!!

Bewick:

sammyopisite:
One of the best digs in the 60s and 70s was “Kittys” at Ross on Wye other good one’s were “Cliff Hoares” Southampton “Sunset” at Penkridge (A449) and one on Portabella which was always exceptional and Chapelhall near Airdrie there was a good one in Sheperds Bush and I carn’t remember the ladys name but you had your breakfast down in the basement and she only did B&B but there was plenty of places to get a meal at night when I can get the brain working there is quite a few more hidden away.

I remember Cliff Hoares wasn’t he a shirt lifter cause I can remember he used say “Hoare by name and Hoare by nature” great dig though !!!

There was a driver on Croppers of Kendal who always stopped the cafe at Bignells corner and his bed was the little cupboard under the stairs and nobody else was allowed to kip there— only him !! His name was Fred Sarginson ( Furry Fred was his nickname as he had a full beard ) he was an ex Navy man . He left Croppers 1970 or so and moved overto Bridlington I think? Bought himself a fishing boat !!

Transport House Ipswich,near the football ground IIRC.Only did B and B,run by a French woman and owned by an American.No overalls allowed,boots off in the hallway and slippers provided.Your own room with wash basin,everything immaculate including the breakfast.Menu,table cloth,serviettes,proper cups and saucers,tea strainer - I could go on.You had to book early,it was in that little red book with all the addresses in,1969/70 last time I stayed there was on a Saturday night and there was an ICI driver there from Teesside and we went round the corner to a boozer where they did hot sandwiches.Great place.
Also one on Oystermouth Road Swansea near the football ground and jail,can’t remember the name but was very good.Shutonger at Tewkesbury weren’t bad,good pub across the road,big jar of black pickled eggs on the bar. :laughing: Chapelhall near Airdrie was another good place and Mrs. Murrays at Turriff was a real home from home.Mrs Bale on Cardiff Road Newport,near the old weighbridge was another regular overnighter and there was a really good place in South Shields right on the sea front.Another decent place was in Millbrook Road (I think) Southampton near the Calor and Freightliner depots,a bit like a truckstop.I remember Cliff Ore or was it Hoare in S’oton and the Juniper Berry,great days and neets. :smiley:

There was good digs in Berwick on Tweed in the 60’s, opposit the Thatch Pub (Home of The Mighty Thatch darts team) It was run by Mrs Rammidge
I seem to remember her husband being a lorry fitter at a local garage. I used to stay at Jayne Laing’s on George Street Montrose, it was well used by
Naylor’s drivers from Leyland running into Chivers factory at Montrose, excellent digs. Anyone remember The Half way House (better known as The ■■■■■ Cottage)
it was half way between Dundee and Arbroath much used by Harry Lawson’s drivers ? I could tell a few tales about this one, Jeannie who ran it was a good sort,
when she got banned from driving (an old Jag if I remember rightly) we used to take it in turns to drop the trailer and ferry them to the pub in Carnoustie in the unit.
Crawford on the 74 had two good digs The Heathergyle and The Merlindale and you could not mention the A74 without mentioning the Dac. Just a few out of the 100’s
of transport digs open in the 60’s Just to let you younger guys know my first night out money was 80p sixteen shillings in old coin and I could make a profit on it.
For example Dirty Daisy at 495 Paisley Road West charged 7/6d for evening meal bed and breakfast (37 and a half pence decimal) you would park on Admiral Street
paying the street urchins the customery 5p to guard your lorry (obligatory if you did not want your sheet and ropes cut) Daisy would give you a half crown (12 & half pence)
parking ticket so outlay 30p for return on expenses of 50p or 10 bob as we used to say. I seem to remember Bolton Roadways drivers staying there a lot, think they had
green Scammell Handyman units. Oh God I’m beginning to ramble my wife says she can smell the diesel fumes coming from my laptop. Regards Big Al

Chris Webb:
I remember the Four Oaks on the A13 Rainham.A young lad used to park you up,early starters to the front,backing in off the road.
BRS wagons were always at the back of course. :laughing: What was the boozer called next door,anybody remember?

There is a club next door to the four oaks cafe called The Silver Hall and it is still there today cheap beer.

feltfixer:

Chris Webb:
I remember the Four Oaks on the A13 Rainham.A young lad used to park you up,early starters to the front,backing in off the road.
BRS wagons were always at the back of course. :laughing: What was the boozer called next door,anybody remember?

There is a club next door to the four oaks cafe called The Silver Hall and it is still there today cheap beer.

You bet the BRS wagons were always parked at the back !! If your guv’nr was tax payer funded you would park up at the back as well wouldn’t you !!

Hi Dave
Brays burning down, had completely forgotten about that remember now you mention it.
Benny

Some Digs

peterq5422:
my wifes great grandma rang digs in Kendal called clara’s the building is still there but is now a private house anyone remember her??

would that be Mrs O’Shea■■?

I remember as a kid staying overnight with my Dad in a place called Arden House, sure it was Manchester but might have been Liverpool, someone on here might know. A lot of the older Steenburg drivers used to stay here although I believe it was a sort of Salvation Army hostel. I had a lovely little room like a ships bunk space all to myself, even at home I never had the bed to myself too many Brothers! Nice breakfast in the morning too. When Dad first used these digs he woke up with a start in the morning the fire bell was going and outside a Fire Engine was tearing past sirens blasting, he thought ‘hell the place is on fire’, he grabbed his gear and ran down the stairs straight into the breakfast area where lots of faces busy forking bacon and eggs into their mouths turned and stared before bursting into laughter. They used to sound a fire bell to tell everyone it was breakfast time and the fire engine passing was pure coincidence, Dad never lived that one down standing in his Jammy’s clutching everything he owned, he probably needed a fire extinguisher to cool his very red face! Frankydobo.

Frankydobo:
I remember as a kid staying overnight with my Dad in a place called Arden House, sure it was Manchester but might have been Liverpool, someone on here might know. A lot of the older Steenburg drivers used to stay here although I believe it was a sort of Salvation Army hostel. I had a lovely little room like a ships bunk space all to myself, even at home I never had the bed to myself too many Brothers! Nice breakfast in the morning too. When Dad first used these digs he woke up with a start in the morning the fire bell was going and outside a Fire Engine was tearing past sirens blasting, he thought ‘hell the place is on fire’, he grabbed his gear and ran down the stairs straight into the breakfast area where lots of faces busy forking bacon and eggs into their mouths turned and stared before bursting into laughter. They used to sound a fire bell to tell everyone it was breakfast time and the fire engine passing was pure coincidence, Dad never lived that one down standing in his Jammy’s clutching everything he owned, he probably needed a fire extinguisher to cool his very red face! Frankydobo.

used to stay in arden house in liverpool,at least you got your own room,that place gave me a life long likeing for steak pudding+ chips with gravy!! :unamused: allways remember the infant maffia on the bomb site opposite,but worth the 2bob to get you motor in one piece in the morning! as long as you,d rememberd to park the trailor on your sheets!! (and your bed on your boots) :laughing:

anybody remember the bread + dripping sarnies for supper at the inglewood hotel in liverpool ? :slight_smile:

I used to hate digs,apart from the dubious personal hygiene of many of the ‘land ladies’ and the clientel and the feeling that if you were not a regular you were not really wanted i stayed at the one in Perth one night and the lights were left on no-one would get up to switch them off so in the end a size ten boot did the job after that i never went in them again, the next weekend i was in Edinburgh waiting to load at Gorgie slaughterhouse i went and bought some curtain rail and curtains and fitted my cab out on the car park. I slept very well on a selection of suitcases and blankets until i got a sleeper cab which as i recall a lot of drivers were against their introduction,I remember seeing a Volvo F88 parked outside a transport digs and thought ‘what a waste’

The “Albion” in Penrith was another good digs but being on the main A6 out of Penrith all the wagons were dropping a gear right out side all night pre motorway there were quite a few decent ones in Penrith in those days but I cannot remember the names of them.

trunkera1:

Frankydobo:

used to stay in arden house in liverpool,at least you got your own room,that place gave me a life long likeing for steak pudding+ chips with gravy!! :unamused: allways remember the infant maffia on the bomb site opposite,but worth the 2bob to get you motor in one piece in the morning! as long as you,d rememberd to park the trailor on your sheets!! (and your bed on your boots) :laughing:

I often tipped at the docks Liverpool,Albert Edward was a favourite,agricultural equipment from Listers in Stamford,always stayed at Arden House,the kids were not behind the door as fas as “can I look after your motor Mr?”,but worth it,just for the peace of mind!!!

I stayed at Arden House quite a few times it was run by the Salvation Army if I remember it right. All hell broke loose one night in the pub down the road the Liverpool and Everton fans had a set to about the colour of the bar pumps. Anybody remember the Spanish Bar down in the centre?

I stayed in arden house also.clean.
Anybody remember The Priory in st.john st at smithfield mkt. London always smelt of leaking gas.

might have been the after effects of too many curries! :sunglasses:

park your wagon on your sheets and your bed on your boots

trunkera1:
What were the name of the digs in Tooley st. London? they were handy for Sainsbury’s in Stamford st. but they were a bit rough to say the very least !! Bewick.

Bewick:

trunkera1:
What were the name of the digs in Tooley st. London? they were handy for Sainsbury’s in Stamford st. but they were a bit rough to say the very least !! Bewick.

Think it was called st johns tavern,thats were i stayed then outside 200yrds on right downstairs in the italians for my tea.
regards dave.