Digital tachograph printouts

Any good ideas for storing my daily printouts. I only have the new unit a week and i’ve lost two days records already. I’ve ruled out using a stapler for obvious reasons.

Well I suppose you could fold them up and put then in an old style tacho wallet, or much easier don’t bother printing them and then you don’t have a problem any more. Nothing in the rules says you have to have them.

Paul

What obvious reasons?. I just staple them together. Only for your own use anyway.

repton:
Well I suppose you could fold them up and put then in an old style tacho wallet, or much easier don’t bother printing them and then you don’t have a problem any more. Nothing in the rules says you have to have them.

Paul

Our dispatch sez we have to print every day and hold 28 days at a time?
A stapler would punch too many holes after 4 weeks wouldnt it?

Why are you having to do a print out daily?
Your card stores all your info and can be downloaded so you don’t need to print out unless you have a problem i.e you go over your time due to unforseen circumstances

ellies dad:
Our dispatch sez we have to print every day and hold 28 days at a time?

Assuming the rules in Eire are the same as in the UK, they’re wrong. There’s no obligation at all to do daily printouts from a digital tachograph. All that 28 days data (and a lot more) is on the card itself and if the enforcement agencies need the information they’ll get it from there.

Paul

Looks like i’ve been misinformed. Another driver told me i need to print aswell

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/workingtime/drivershoursgoods.pdf

Tell your despatch to take a look thru this kind of document a bit more often :wink:

gluck :sunglasses:

Taken from the above doc, please note the last sentence, hope this helps Ellies Dad

Responsibilities of operators
Operators of transport undertakings have legal responsibilities and liabilities for their own compliance
with the regulations and that of the drivers under their control. Transport undertakings must:

• ensure that tachographs have been calibrated, inspected and re-calibrated in line with the rules;
  • supply sufficient quantity of type-approved charts and print roll to drivers;
  • properly instruct drivers on the rules;

So when do i need to print then?

ellies dad:

You don’t!
Thats one of the benefits of going digital, all your hours info is stored on the card! If anyone needs to look at it they use a card reader. No need for paper unless the card fails or some other fault.

Alex

ellies dad:

If your card is lost, stolen, damaged or malfunctions then you would need to do a print out at the start and end of the shift. If you were delayed because of traffic and as a result went over your hours to reach a parking place for a break or rest period then you would need to take a print out and write the reason for exceeding the hours on the back.

As has already been said, under normal operation there is no requirement to take a print out.

Presumably if you accidentally use the wrong mode you need to printout and make an entry on the back to correct it, it then has to be treated like a tach chart (ie kept safe and handed in).

Daily printouts is down to company policy, we had to do them every day to start with, but was recently dropped so don’t have to do it anymore, good thing because if you forget to printout before ejecting, it takes ages to loadup when you put the card back in. Plus keeping footlong till receipts isn’t quite as neat as keeping charts.

Im sure you still need to do print outs if using different units all the time ie digi tacho one day then paper chart the next and so on, I was told by a VOSA chap that if they stop you for a roadside check and your in a non digi unit they cant access your info there and then hense they need you to carry printouts but if you only drive a digi unit then they use your tacho head to access your info.

hi “ellies dad”

I attach (staple) mine to a conventional tacho disk ( usually one of the rejects )
then just stow them in the same wallot, as my other used conventional wax’y disks

Works for me…
( As I do a lot of mixed Wax’y disk / Digi Tacho driving )

Regards 2xQ

PS: sugest just a single staple, in the top (blank) region of the printout
and then fold’over the excess in such a manner as it can easily un-folded again if required…

wagonlad:
Im sure you still need to do print outs if using different units all the time ie digi tacho one day then paper chart the next and so on, I was told by a VOSA chap that if they stop you for a roadside check and your in a non digi unit they cant access your info there and then hense they need you to carry printouts but if you only drive a digi unit then they use your tacho head to access your info.

Can’t really see that m8, I mean if VOSA couldn’t check the card without it being in a tachograph why would there be a regulation requiring you to carry the card even when in a vehicle fitted with an analogue tachograph, and why would you have to carry the card even if it’s never been used.

I understand they have laptops fitted with card readers and the software to read the data on the card :wink:

The only time you need to do printouts is for the reasons coffee stated and if you need to make some kind of written entry ( explanation of over hours or wrong mode etc …)

If you have a digital card you have to carry it with you at all times , even if it hasn’t been used .Vosa can check you have one , and if you don’t have it then how are they to know you aren’t running bent (stopped in an analogue truck) .

Vosa have card readers for when you get stopped in an analogue truck , if they don’t have the equipment that is there tough luck , not the drivers .

I can’t understand these companies wanting to do printouts all the time , the rolls cost about £6 each and they don’t last very long .

Digital was meant to do away with paper handling :laughing:

But hey if it’s a company policy then so be it , let them throw money away , money that could be used towards a pay rise :wink:

Don’t listen to drivers waffling about daily printouts because you have to and it’s the law (unless you are in a digital truck and have no card * , its classic MMTM . :laughing: )

• stand to be corrected , pretty sure you can not drive a digital truck if you have never been issued with a digital card or waiting for it in the post as a first time issue .
    After that then you can drive without a card if it is lost stolen or not working and awaiting replacement .

wagonlad:
Im sure you still need to do print outs if using different units all the time ie digi tacho one day then paper chart the next and so on,

Not true

wagonlad:
I was told by a VOSA chap that if they stop you for a roadside check and your in a non digi unit they cant access your info there and then hense they need you to carry printouts.

he was talking ■■■■■■■■. If they can’t check it because they don’t have the equipment then that is their problem and not yours.

If you think about it for just a minute you can easily work out what he told you is wrong. I drive a digi equipped truck every day and have done for getting on for three months. I don’t take printouts every day, I’m not legally required to, but what if I roll into work tomorrow and the driver who is using my truck tonight is late back, has wrecked it or it has broken down and the replacement I am given is not fitted with a digi tacho? I haven’t been breaking the law by not taking print outs but according to the ill informed VOSA bloke you spoke to all of a sudden I am because I have switched unit? He’s a ■■■■ and is talking out his arse.

paul@midway:
Don’t listen to drivers waffling about daily printouts because you have to and it’s the law (unless you are in a digital truck and have no card * , its classic MMTM . :laughing: )

Wise words.

paul@midway:

• stand to be corrected , pretty sure you can not drive a digital truck if you have never been issued with a digital card or waiting for it in the post as a first time issue .
    After that then you can drive without a card if it is lost stolen or not working and awaiting replacement .

Correct, if you haven’t been issued with a card then you cannot drive a digi truck. If you cannot use your card because it is lost, stolen of damaged then you can drive without the card for a maximum of 15 calendar days, or longer if this is necessary for the vehicle to be returned to its base, provided that you produces two printouts — one at the start of the journey and another at the end. Both printouts must be marked with:
The driver’s name or driver card or licence number.
Manual entries needed to show periods of Other Work, POA, Breaks etc.
You should also sign both copies.

The driver must report the problem to DVLA and apply for a new card within 7 calendar days.

Thanks for the tips. Not printing every day seems logical,i mean why else would they have gone digital. I told our dispatch bird i didnt think i neede to print and she said fine “them rolls are 6 euro each anyway”. sez she’ll just download every 28 days with her card although thats probably wrong too :blush: