DIGI TACO'S

Just been nerding up on the digi tacho part in trucking and in truck and driver and to be honest im not best pleased.

Why the hell should i pay £40 for what i see as a new license? All because some Brussel munching buerocrate thinks its a good idea!! Surely these things should be intergrated into the new photo cards? and not to the drivers expense

If this was to be introduced into the general car driving public there would be uproar at such expense!

Then to add insult to injury it a further £20 every five years just to be privaliged to renew it! that and a drivers medical plus the new training idea that is to be the same as a cpc. It all adds to expense and the poor driver who is working his ■■■ off to make ends meet now has to drive himself into his early grave faster to cover the costs.

Phil

it’s just a new way of an old idea phil, namely shearing the sheep. theyre good at it aint they, bloody bar-stewards!

the company i work for want me to pay for it out of my wages and claim it back out of my expenses because iv’e only been there 3 months.

so i have refused to pay it on the grounds i will have to wait a month to get it back and also i have to wait to get my night out money back (also a month). why the [zb] should i fund the company :unamused:

so if they want me to drive their shiney new trucks (like i was down for next week) there going to have to send it off for me.its not my problem they have trucks with this techology and not provided the driver with the tools to drive it :open_mouth:

jon

When is it supposed to go live? I’ve read so many conflicting things that I haven’t got a clue. Work for myself so I haven’t got the advantage of being informed by my employers.

I had the oppotunity of catching a look at the article in T+D while in W H Smiths, (just having a pre-purchase look) an saw that there is an official form D777b req`d so off i tootles to the main post office and asked for said form, and got a very confused look from the woman behind the counter :confused:
so where can I get a copy of the form?
theres no info on the DVLA website

Latest News

Digital Tachograph driver and company card application packs are now available from DVLA — Tel 0870 8501074

digitaltachograph.gov.uk/

I know that the card belongs to the person for whom it is issued ,but why can the firms for whom one works submit in bulk for all the firms drivers and
so then get a set itemized bill which they then submit into the Inland Revenue when they do their TAX-returns,

brit pete:
I know that the card belongs to the person for whom it is issued ,but why can the firms for whom one works submit in bulk for all the firms drivers and
so then get a set itemized bill which they then submit into the Inland Revenue when they do their TAX-returns,

This is what Hanley’s are doing, they are paying the fee up front for the first issue card, after that if you lose it, deface it, etc it is up to the Driver to pay for the replacement which is fair enough, also if you leave within three months of getting the card they will expect you to pay the fee back out of your last pay packet.

brit pete:
I know that the card belongs to the person for whom it is issued

Actually it doesn’t, just like your driving licence it belongs to the Secretary of State for Transport.

I’m just pointing that out because I have had a couple of conversations with drivers recently in which they have said, “It’s my bloody card and if they want to see the data on it I’ll tell them to poke it, against the Data Protection Act isn’t it.” Or something along those lines. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: You know the type of driver I mean? :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Who’s funding it in other EU countries? Drivers or Govenment?

here in germany it seems some firms are paying for the licence and by others the driver has to pay, if the driver pays for it he can claim some of the charge back when he or she does the yearly tax-return,

What I want to know is this…What actual benefit will the digital tacho bring to the average driver?

robinhood_1984:
What I want to know is this…What actual benefit will the digital tacho bring to the average driver?

it appears that vosa will be unable to trace where you started and where you finished so if you work for a company like knowles transport and your yard is surrounded by national roads that you should enter and leave at 40mph for a certain distance then a vosa inspection will not be able to distinguish the speed you entered and left the yard at.
everyone must remember the knowles saga, a dozen drivers had their licence suspended and had to pay fines for the above mentioned offences.
the down side of course is that you will not have tachograph evidence against any speeding notices brought by camera.
it would appear that your smart card isn’t smart enough to hold detailed information of speed and the in cab unit will only be able to store a maximum of 24 hours total driving, so if you do an average of 8 hours driving a day then by the fourth day you will be overwriting the first days driving records.
there is one main downside though, both your card and the onboard unit will record maximum speed infringements so if your one of those drivers that likes to reach 70mph downhill racing then you will be in for a dressing down the first time you get your card inspected and your company will also have this information highlighted when they download the information both from your card and from the onboard unit.

robinhood_1984:

It was designed to use new technology to keep an eye on what we’re doing. instead of having loads of waxed cards floating about. that then have to be analised etc. It’s not for our benefit.
Might stop a bit of tipping off card, if the in cab print out is any good it will help you keep a better track of your hours. In fact the data can be used a lot better to keep a track of hours. I think the default position is to other work ,so it means you can’t just leave it on break.

why cant the digi card replace the licence…

working something like this

if the company gets truck with digi head then the driver has to get digi card
if he wants or has to drive it
slog out who pays not my problem…

when the drivers licence comes up for renewal he is issued with a digi card / licence

this way there is a quicker but orderly facing in of the digi card

spose its too much for the consultaion to have involved any body in the know
shall we start laguing Jeremy Vine

muckles:
I think the default position is to other work ,so it means you can’t just leave it on break.

From what I know, this is my biggest grievence with it. I don’t see what right anyone has to dictate to me that the tacho of the vehicle I’M DRIVING has to be on a certain mode automatically. This will cause endless problems when people are loading/unloading and they for example get asked to pull forward a few meters, jump into the cab and do so and then jump out again and hey, what do you know, your magnificent new tacho without your authorisation has decided for itself to change from the mode you as a human being previously set it to to suit your own purpose. I don’t care what anyone says, most people who even bother with mode switches now forget every so often to change their mode, it will be ten times worse when this hideous piece of machenery creeps into our trucks and changes itself to cross hammers with so much as a short shunt forwards and backwards, that is downright unacceptable in my opinion.

I also predict that these 5yr tachos will be tied to the new drivers cpc and we won’t get issued with new cards unless we complete 5 days of totally useless training which oficially qualify us to suddenly do what we were already doing anyway, some people for 30 or 40 years.

robinhood_1984:
I also predict that these 5yr tachos will be tied to the new drivers cpc and we won’t get issued with new cards unless we complete 5 days of totally useless training which oficially qualify us to suddenly do what we were already doing anyway, some people for 30 or 40 years.

yepp, you may well be right there m8, it is just some more useless bull ■■■■ from the do-gooders and the know-betters that dont even DO the ■■■■■■■ job! but never mind, all is not dark it’ll be good to know some leech somewhere will make a few bob from it! :wink:

Spacemonkeypg:
Just been nerding up on the digi tacho part in trucking and in truck and driver and to be honest im not best pleased.

Why the hell should i pay £40 for what i see as a new license? All because some Brussel munching buerocrate thinks its a good idea!! Surely these things should be intergrated into the new photo cards? and not to the drivers expense

If this was to be introduced into the general car driving public there would be uproar at such expense!

Then to add insult to injury it a further £20 every five years just to be privaliged to renew it! that and a drivers medical plus the new training idea that is to be the same as a cpc. It all adds to expense and the poor driver who is working his ■■■ off to make ends meet now has to drive himself into his early grave faster to cover the costs.

Phil

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

robinhood_1984:
This will cause endless problems when people are loading/unloading and they for example get asked to pull forward a few meters, jump into the cab and do so and then jump out again and hey, what do you know, your magnificent new tacho without your authorisation has decided for itself to change from the mode you as a human being previously set it to to suit your own purpose.

robinhood_1984:
it will be ten times worse when this hideous piece of machenery creeps into our trucks and changes itself to cross hammers with so much as a short shunt forwards and backwards, that is downright unacceptable in my opinion.

By suit your own purpose, Do you mean having it on rest whilst Loading or Unloading?
If so yes it will cause you problems, but if you are involved with Loading and Unloading the truck is other work.
Or do you mean sitting in the cab and having to come off break and move the truck, still not rest,
even with the old tacho left on rest, it will still show that you’ve moved the truck and although it might not seem much tacho analysis will still pick it up.

The tacho is there to record what you are doing, so the authorities can keep a track to make sure you are obeying the rules.

robinhood_1984:
I don’t see what right anyone has to dictate to me that the tacho of the vehicle I’M DRIVING has to be on a certain mode automatically.

Well the regulations already dictate which mode your switch should be on at any given time so the fact that the new machine will choose one automatically is irrelevant.

robinhood_1984:
This will cause endless problems when people are loading/unloading and they for example get asked to pull forward a few meters, jump into the cab and do so and then jump out again

Do that at the moment and the unit will automatically switch to drive mode then back to other work so I don’t see the problem at all.

robinhood_1984:
it will be ten times worse when this hideous piece of machenery creeps into our trucks and changes itself to cross hammers with so much as a short shunt forwards and backwards, that is downright unacceptable in my opinion.

Sorry, I just don’t see that. Why is the fact it switches back to the correct mode unacceptable?