Digi Tacho & Overspeeding

If you get an overspeed warning on the digi tacho, when running down an hill Etc, does it register on the digi card or just the head unit of the tacho?

As it’s not illegal why worry :question:

it registers and keeps a record of the 10 fastest speeds
at which you over run ,so every time you go over the
recorded data,It will up date the speed trace recorded.
AND ALSO THE SPEED trace is
recorded by the trucks on board PC, which can be read
later on,

AND ALSO the speed trace is recorded by the trucks on board PC, which can be read later on,

which begs the question, can this data be used to defend a charge of exceeding the speed limit if the time and date is also recorded?

How long does this info remain in the head unit?

JISL to ESL:
can this data be used to defend a charge of exceeding the speed limit if the time and date is also recorded?

No - nor can it be used to prosecute if that is the only evidence

As far as I know - there was only ever one case where tacho evidence was used and that was that Cambridgeshire (I think) case where only 40 LGV limits were within a few miles of a base but most drivers were found doing well over that within a minute or so after leaving or just before coming back to the yard.

If you are over the water , you might just find that
they will ask you for some money if they believe you
have committed an offence even when it is outside of
their country,

brit pete:
If you are over the water , you might just find that
they will ask you for some money if they believe you
have committed an offence even when it is outside of
their country,

The French do, 2 overspeeds in one day even if your in the uk 80euros thank you very much.

Mine still records an overspeed even if I don’t exceed 60mph so best of luck trying to get me to pay for that one !

I think but not 100% sure it’s classed as self incrimination which is illegal to do without your consent, like a copper asking you how fast you was driving, they have to follow you for a certain distance, …mmm wonder if that thoery would work with speed cameras… thats self incriminating… an another thing while i’m ranting on, don’t you have to obtain someones permition to take their photo and sign a waiver for them to use it, crap i could get in trouble if the old bill is reading this, for putting ideas in peoples heads, mind you I bet there are some lawyers out there who could do it

George-1982:
Mine still records an overspeed even if I don’t exceed 60mph so best of luck trying to get me to pay for that one !

You in a Volvo by any chance? Sometimes I let mine ride down a hill, anything between 91k to 98k’s and I get an overspeed…

scottishcruiser, that slug your driving now could only dream of an overspeed. rolling roadblock… :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I just moved to a digi in december. Bloody eats driving time compared to charts i find :open_mouth: Anyway ive had 2 overspeeds on the same hill :smiling_imp: but both where under 60 maybe around 57-58.

Anyway cut a long story short i didn’t press OK i just let it flash the whole day, took my card out at the end of my shift. But it was still flashing so then i pressed OK. Not had any infringements to sign for months so im assuming there isn’t any. Is this because i didn’t press OK maybe ?

Haha i bet ive just jinxed myself and there will be a pile of infringements on monday to sign :laughing:

I think you’ll find that if you reduce the speed within a minute of the over-speed warning the over-speed will be recorded on the driver card as an offence of “00:00” time length and so will be irrelevant as far as infringements are concerned.

merc0447:
I just moved to a digi in december. Bloody eats driving time compared to charts i find :open_mouth: Anyway ive had 2 overspeeds on the same hill :smiling_imp: but both where under 60 maybe around 57-58.

Anyway cut a long story short i didn’t press OK i just let it flash the whole day, took my card out at the end of my shift. But it was still flashing so then i pressed OK. Not had any infringements to sign for months so im assuming there isn’t any. Is this because i didn’t press OK maybe ?

Haha i bet ive just jinxed myself and there will be a pile of infringements on monday to sign :laughing:

Im the same. No matter if I do 1 or 10 overspeeds I only ever click the OK button when I need to change the mode button from OT to BREAK/REST as it stays perm on the screen OVERSPEED. SO in theory, wether its true or not, I clear say 10 overspeeds from my days shift with pressing the btton once, so wether I clear 1 or 10 overspeeds I dont know, I dont bother with print outs to find out :smiley:

i suggest that yers read the booklet that comes with the tacho headunit…overspeeds have got nowt to do with speeding…but more so uncontrolled over run within a 30 second period. ie down hill loaded.auto gearbox.ive read it.am i wrong

Q 1 - Does running downhill over the set limiter speed cause any mechanical or electrical damage to the vehicle :question: - me no mechanic…

Q2 - Does running downhill over the set limiter speed present any driving safety issues :question:

diggertony:
i suggest that yers read the booklet that comes with the tacho headunit…overspeeds have got nowt to do with speeding…but more so uncontrolled over run within a 30 second period. ie down hill loaded.auto gearbox.ive read it.am i wrong

Well according to my manual an over-speed will occur when “The set maximum speed was exceeded for longer than 60 seconds”.

So in reply to your question “am i wrong” I would have to say yes :wink:

ok…so how come they happen at 50mph downhill…on the flat yer carnt reach 60mph…
30secs ok wrong its 60…

so if yer limiter is on at 56mph and yer going downhill at 58mph on M1 overspeed comes on display but yer not speeding.

diggertony:
so if yer limiter is on at 56mph and yer going downhill at 58mph on M1 overspeed comes on display but yer not speeding.

not illegal as the speed limit has not been broken

I doubt if any law officer would actually try and do a LGV driver for doing 65 in that situation if done safely as most forces have a 10% margin criteria

Company policy is another issue though…