Digi Tacho & Overspeeding

i know its not illegal…its stupid…

i was under the impression that the overspeed was related to the european 90Km speed limit rather than the 56Mph speed limits we have over here :confused:

i guess there are 2 ways to test that theory. if anyone has a unit calibrated to 57/58Mph, does the overspeed warn you when you are sitting at over 56Mph. does anyone have a unit calibrated to 52/53Mph which warns you when you are doing 55/56Mph down a hill?

scanny77:
i was under the impression that the overspeed was related to the european 90Km speed limit rather than the 56Mph speed limits we have over here :confused:

There is no such thing as a European 90 km/h speed limit, although some countries have a 90 km/h limit for trucks, France and Belgium for instance. We also do not have a 56 mph speed limit in this country, we (trucks) have 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 depending on roads and signs but no 56.

overspeed should only come on when exceeding 90km/h, certainly it doesn’t on our 85km/h trucks when you overrun at 90km/h. If you exceed 90km/h you get an infringement, DHLs arguement is that the limiter is set at 85km/h and you have exhaust retarders/engine brakes in addition to the service breaks so you shouldn’t be going at 90km/h anyway, nevermind faster.

tofer:
overspeed should only come on when exceeding 90km/h, certainly it doesn’t on our 85km/h trucks when you overrun at 90km/h. If you exceed 90km/h you get an infringement, DHLs arguement is that the limiter is set at 85km/h and you have exhaust retarders/engine brakes in addition to the service breaks so you shouldn’t be going at 90km/h anyway, nevermind faster.

I assume that would be a company policy infringement (which the driver would agree to when driving for them) as opposed to any legally enforceable infringement :question:

most 7.5T trucks are set to 90kph. i was driving one end of last year for the day and got on the motorway and hit 70mph limiter and it come up with over speeding and would keep coming up when i went over 90kph but i was not speeding

Gates:
most 7.5T trucks are set to 90kph. i was driving one end of last year for the day and got on the motorway and hit 70mph limiter and it come up with over speeding and would keep coming up when i went over 90kph but i was not speeding

Confused - if the limiter was set to 70 mph and you did not go above that then how can it read an overspeed ■■?

If it was set to 90kph then it would not get to 70 mph unless going dowhill etc with a load on !!

ROG:

Gates:

Confused - if the limiter was set to 70 mph and you did not go above that then how can it read an overspeed ■■?

If it was set to 90kph then it would not get to 70 mph unless going dowhill etc with a load on !!

the limiter was set to 70mph it would sit there allday but the tacho would be saying overspeed but it was not flat out at 70
at first i thought it may have been unplugged till it stopped at 70 (57reg MAN)

tofer:

We, also DHL, don’t get infringements for overspeeds.

What are these in fringes. is it a fashion?

Coffeeholic:

scanny77:

There is no such thing as a European 90 km/h speed limit, although some countries have a 90 km/h limit for trucks, France and Belgium for instance. We also do not have a 56 mph speed limit in this country, we (trucks) have 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 depending on roads and signs but no 56.

tongue tied there. i know our speed limit is 60 but the speed limitERS are 56 max, presumably to coincide with the 90Km/h that has some kind of significance for whatever reason that lot over there have dreamed up :unamused:

EU legislation imposed the 56 mph limiter regardless of each countries national speed limits - I don’t think they considered such when making this legislation but I could be wrong…

You definately get infringements for exceeding 90km/h, I believe its down to the individual contract, although I work for the part that was Exel so maybe that explains the difference.