Digi tacho "OVERSPEED!" help

So, we’ve just had a new digi tacho installed in one of ours. It keeps signalling “OVERSPEED” even though I stick to speed limits religiously. No, really! It’s also got ‘Geoloc’, whatever that is. I suspect that it knows what kind of road I’m on and applies its own speed limit BUT they’re the old limits. I do 50 on a S/C A-road and it shouts at me. 50 on a motorway, no problem. 50 on a D/C, no problem.

Q1. Is this even possible?

Q2. Can the limits be changed using the company card?

Q3. For the love of God, HOW?

■■■■■■■ hell, you need to watch out me old China, too many of them and a gun comes out the head rest and slots you straight through your short back and sides…

Annoying though it is, just don’t worry about it. It’s not worth it.

cargocargocargo:
So, we’ve just had a new digi tacho installed in one of ours. It keeps signalling “OVERSPEED” even though I stick to speed limits religiously. No, really! It’s also got ‘Geoloc’, whatever that is. I suspect that it knows what kind of road I’m on and applies its own speed limit BUT they’re the old limits. I do 50 on a S/C A-road and it shouts at me. 50 on a motorway, no problem. 50 on a D/C, no problem.

Sounds like it has inbuilt gps. Sorry mate, you’re doomed. DOOMED!

VOSA will be around anytime now. Better wear clean underpants…

Sense would tell me to harrass whoever fitted it pronto to get it sorted…And print out every day and write on the back the problem until it’s fixed.
And crack on…no point worrying over crap that’s not your fault

1 large magnet …stick to gearbox…problem solved…

cargocargocargo:

Q1. Yes, Geoloc (GeoLocation) is an option with Siemens digital tachographs as of Release 2.1.
Note the word option so presumably your boss must have ordered it.
(From what I’ve read it seems that Geoloc can also be retrofitted independently of the tachograph, but I’m not 100% sure about that at the moment)

Q2. I don’t know if the limits can be changed but Geoloc can be switched On or Off.
But remember your boss must have ordered Geoloc as an option so…

I’m guessing you would need the company card to turn off Geoloc but I’m not 100% sure, perhaps you could try it and let us know :slight_smile:

To turn Geoloc on and off go into the menu and scroll down until you reach the vehicle settings, what you’re looking for is “loggins on” or “loggins off” as shown in the image bellow, this should turn Geoloc on or off.

GeoLocation.png

3 wheeler:
Sense would tell me to harrass whoever fitted it pronto to get it sorted…And print out every day and write on the back the problem until it’s fixed.
And crack on…no point worrying over crap that’s not your fault

Why would you need to do a printout everyday for this?

Why would you need to do a printout everyday for this?

You wouldn’t, you haven’t broken a law, or a regulation…

I would have thought it would be better to write a defect for the vehicle rather than a printout.

I always thought overspeeds where a good thing, I get loads especially when above 56. Starts off with an overspeed warning then 10 secs later tacho goes into crimbo tree mode and another message saying ‘overspeed recorded’. I usually give a fist pump and shout ‘get in’ at this point.

Dipper_Dave:
I always thought overspeeds where a good thing, I get loads especially when above 56. Starts off with an overspeed warning then 10 secs later tacho goes into crimbo tree mode and another message saying ‘overspeed recorded’. I usually give a fist pump and shout ‘get in’ at this point.

The DAF rewards you with a special dashboard display and a buzzer too. You need to switch off the descend speed control for proper progress.

Defect the tacho and report to the boss make sure you have a copy so you don’t get in trouble if you get pulled as overspeed for a minute shows on your card when downloaded I believe?

ash 001:
Defect the tacho and report to the boss make sure you have a copy so you don’t get in trouble if you get pulled as overspeed for a minute shows on your card when downloaded I believe?

Why would it matter if an over speed is on your card?

Why would you Over-Speed as Employee? (if not ordered?)

I wasn’t aware of this myself but… When the tacho flashes " overspeed" if you DONT press the OK key no other overspeeds can be recorded, so…once you get your first just leave the tacho flashing & then get as many as you like & it will only register one.

Magnets don’t work these days as the gearbox housings on new motors are magnetically shielded & there is 2 speed traces going up to the tacho unit in case of tamper

Thanks for all the replies, especially the helpful ones! I’m not worried, not doing printouts and am indeed cracking on - it’s just irritating. My boss is irritated too. We tried a download and the overspeeds are recorded on my card but not on an end-of-shift printout.

TheNewBoy:
I wasn’t aware of this myself but… When the tacho flashes " overspeed" if you DONT press the OK key no other overspeeds can be recorded, so…once you get your first just leave the tacho flashing & then get as many as you like & it will only register one.

Hmm, not convinced about that - see above. And ta Seany, we took it back to the installers and they couldn’t understand it!

Thanks, Tacho, I’ll try that on Monday when I’m next in that wagon; I’ll clear it with the gaffer first, of course :wink: . I don’t see the point of Geoloc; he’s installed trackers in all the vehicles (which is great, by the way - he never rings me to see where I am!).

I was told this by a fitter who does the tacho repairs & calibrations

Personally i have never worried about over speeds, but they are a pain in the arras

Immigrant:
Why would you Over-Speed as Employee? (if not ordered?)

For poops and giggles mainly, got her up to 72mph fully laden on A14 the other day, unfortunately not for long enough to get the overspeed bonus.