Digi cards - in or out when parked up?

As the title says…are digi cards supposed to be in or out when parked up/night out? I always thought they were to be left in but another driver reckons a new law :imp: :imp: say’s they have to be taken out.

Anyone know of it■■?

dont know of any law but out for me

What a stroke of luck, I just logged in to ask the same question. I leave mine in all the time, but the other drivers take theirs out. Do you think it would be that big of an issue anyway?? Surely a slap on the wrist for something as trivial as that.

New laws are brought out all the time without any publication…it might be rumour but I had to ask. Rog will be on soon, he’ll know for sure :sunglasses: top man for regs he is…will buy him a pint when I meet up, which I will one day. :wink:

Ask him what this new law is? I am always interested in this new legislation that is introduced under cover of darkness :laughing:

But it depends what you want to do, you can leave it in or take it out, You can do the Hokey Cokey. Either way you still have to make a manual entry for the country you are starting in, and any other work whilst the card was removed

Havent a clue personally but id have said take it out, the chip inside them is tiny, can it record 24 hours a day for say 5 or 6 days a week and still keep 28 days worth of data on it ? or will it start deleting the begining of the months driving ■■?
cue ROG

On the “training” I had I was told when your away from home you should leave the card in as it records your 9 or 11 hours off, recently got stopped in Belgium and had tacho checked, they seemed to think everything was in order. But then again my mate who does the same job takes his out and got stopped in Germany nothing happened to him either. I dont think it matters too much as long as you can prove your breaks.

rockape2620:
Havent a clue personally but id have said take it out, the chip inside them is tiny, can it record 24 hours a day for say 5 or 6 days a week and still keep 28 days worth of data on it ? or will it start deleting the begining of the months driving ■■?
cue ROG

Forget Rog, he is snoozing, your little chip will probably hold 10 or 11 months records on easy work. Even on multi drop it will hold much more than 28 days.

Do whatever you like.

Leave it in or take it out. Would recommend taking it out if someone else is gonna drive the truck or back at base, but no new laws are in for it.

When you go abroad both analogue or digi need to stay in by rights. (analogue changed every 24 hours).

Rick B:
New laws are brought out all the time without any publication…it might be rumour but I had to ask. Rog will be on soon, he’ll know for sure :sunglasses: top man for regs he is…will buy him a pint when I meet up, which I will one day. :wink:

IIRC Rog hasn’t driven a truck since digi tacho’s were invented :wink:

there is no new law, you can do either but remember to do a manual entry of end country when you finish and start country when you start the next shift

i have a friend who works at maritime, apparently, he said they had a memo, as new laws are out, and you must now take it out overnight, and if not, and your caught, (how) its an on the spot fine?
have no idea if this is factually correct though.

from day 1, i, personally, whether it be a paper chart, or a digi card, have always removed it at the end of shift. some drivers say its right, some say its wrong. all i know is, in 17 years of uk and european truck driving, and several stops along the way, by various law enforcement, its never caused me a problem.

When away from base with no chance of another driver driving the vehicle why not leave it in?
It’s not a question of overloading the chip with too much info, after all how much space does 9 or 11 hours of doing nowt take up?

The plus side of leaving the card in is the any vostapo/polizei have a complete 24hr record should they require it.

Oh, nearly forgot… when u wake up with your stinking hangover you won’t forget to put your card in as you weave away in the morning if you’ve left it in overnight.

I leave my card in but take it out on a Friday when I finish. Because if I didn’t I would forget to put it in :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Wheel Nut:

rockape2620:
cue ROG

Forget Rog, he is snoozing, your little chip will probably hold 10 or 11 months records on easy work. Even on multi drop it will hold much more than 28 days.

I think your wrong mate, the chip is designed to hold 28 days worth of activity, its the head unit that holds 12 months of average driving

The following is taken from my Wincanton Legal Compliance course notes
“At any one time the driver card holds 28 days of information about driver activities (the average activity of a driver is defined as 93 activity changes per day).
The digital tachograph vehicle unit is designed to hold data for 365 days with average use”

God knows what average use is but i think your way out on the card … like i said the chip is tiny …its based on 90’s technology but wasnt introduced until the 2000’s give it a couple of years and we will have cards that easily store a couple of years worth of data …its not so atm …thats why the screen display is the same as mobile phones from the 90’s …its the same old technology

They hold months for an average driver.

Plus, 28 days constant use minimum, which I think the EU requires to be 32kb, and in the UK cards are issued with double this (64kb).

So make of it what you like!

Still no definitive answer then■■? I personally leave it in as a tramper and obviously take it out at weekends. It was a comment from another driver that sparked it - new law…drivers myth :unamused: :unamused:

Rick B:
Still no definitive answer then■■? I personally leave it in as a tramper and obviously take it out at weekends. It was a comment from another driver that sparked it - new law…drivers myth :unamused: :unamused:

Yes…

No new law and do as you please or as your company tells you.

zippy!:

Rick B:

Yes…

Being as we dont know and are just guessing / trying to find the right answer i would lay it at the door of your TM … i bet he doesnt know either lol

Either way your defiantly safe to leave it in all week aslong as you download it every week once back at depot …■■■■ hate digi cards lol

rockape2620:

Wheel Nut:

rockape2620:
cue ROG

I think your wrong mate, the chip is designed to hold 28 days worth of activity, its the head unit that holds 12 months of average driving

The following is taken from my Wincanton Legal Compliance course notes
“At any one time the driver card holds 28 days of information about driver activities (the average activity of a driver is defined as 93 activity changes per day).
The digital tachograph vehicle unit is designed to hold data for 365 days with average use”

God knows what average use is but i think your way out on the card … like i said the chip is tiny …its based on 90’s technology but wasnt introduced until the 2000’s give it a couple of years and we will have cards that easily store a couple of years worth of data …its not so atm …thats why the screen display is the same as mobile phones from the 90’s …its the same old technology

I seem to remember an owner driver on here who has never downloaded his driver card and the info was still there!

Coffeeholic:

Fastrantiger:
Slightly off topic :blush: if an offence has been commited, how far back can this information be taken from the card and used? I believe the card will take up to 280 days of info?

Tiger

Cards have to hold a minimum of 28 days but in reality they hold far longer than that. I have around 160 days on my card at the moment and geebee45 mentioned recently he came across a card with around 300 days on it. If the offence is on there VOSA can see it if they check the card. The unit will hold at least a years worth of records and as records also have to retained by the company for at least a year, for tacho regulation purposes, VOSA could potentially take action as far back as that.

Sung to the tune of American Pie.

Well now in the streets the children screamed
The lovers cried and the poets dreamed
But not a word was spoken
The church bells all were broken
And the three men I admire the most
Geebee45, Neil, and the Holy Ghost
They caught the last train for the coast
The day the music died

They started singing

Bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my chevy to the levee
But the levee was dry
And good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
Singin’ this will be the day that I die
This will be the day that I die.

rockape2620:

zippy!:

Rick B:

Yes…

Being as we dont know and are just guessing / trying to find the right answer i would lay it at the door of your TM … i bet he doesnt know either lol

Either way your defiantly safe to leave it in all week aslong as you download it every week once back at depot …■■■■ hate digi cards lol

Whos guessing?