Digi card.

Hi guys,
New to working with a digi card and looking for some advice. Don’t do a lot of driving which needs the use of tachograph,but when I do it’s a 2 day overnight trip.
When I eject my card at the end of shift, then I insert card next day the time starts
at the time I finished on my second part of shift the day before. For instance…
4 1/2 Hrs Driving. 45 Minute Break. 2 Hrs 23 Minutes. Finish shift.

Yet when I put digi card in next day my driving time starts at 2Hrs 23 minutes !!
Meaning I only have 2Hrs 27 minutes driving before a break!!
I know it’s probably something I’m doing wrong but no-one at work seems keen to help!!!

The two most obvious things that could cause this would be either doing a manual entry incorrectly so it records all time between shifts as other work. The other possibility is insufficient break, ie putting in your card before taking at least 9 hours of daily rest.
Do a print out, this should show if you have done either of these things.
If you’re staying with the vehicle in between the two shifts (doing a night out), then the easiest solution would be to leave the card in the tacho on break mode

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I’d say best bet is when you finish for.the day put tacho on rest/break leave it.on rest/break untill it registers 1 min then take out .
Think problem might be your ending your shift with tacho on work mode and when you reinsert card it still thinks it’s on other work mode

edd1974:
I’d say best bet is when you finish for.the day put tacho on rest/break leave it.on rest/break untill it registers 1 min then take out .
Think problem might be your ending your shift with tacho on work mode and when you reinsert card it still thinks it’s on other work mode

What he said. Always switch mode to rest before ejecting your card; it should then default to same after you’ve done your manual entry. On more modern tachos you don’t even need to wait a minute, although it’s not a bad habit to get into.

Sidevalve:

edd1974:

What he said. Always switch mode to rest before ejecting your card; it should then default to same after you’ve done your manual entry. On more modern tachos you don’t even need to wait a minute, although it’s not a bad habit to get into.

It’s irrelevant what mode you eject or insert on.

Brido21:
Hi guys,
New to working with a digi card and looking for some advice. Don’t do a lot of driving which needs the use of tachograph,but when I do it’s a 2 day overnight trip.
When I eject my card at the end of shift, then I insert card next day the time starts

Yet when I put digi card in next day my driving time starts at 2Hrs 23 minutes !!
I know it’s probably something I’m doing wrong but no-one at work seems keen to help!!!

The only way that can happen is an incorrect manual entry, you will have manually entered the time the card was out as other work instead of rest, do a printout and you’ll see that crossed hammers has been recorded for the time the card was out

youtu.be/8TTf64zC5uk

If the tachograph unit is working correctly it makes not a jot of difference what mode it is on when you eject. The time when the card was out is unknown until a manual entry is made. If no manual entry is made, the time the card was out remains unknown, but is assumed to be rest for the purposes of analysis.

If you have had 9 hours rest and inserted your card, it shouldn’t have your driving on there. Based on the information given, there may be a fault, but we are not there to see what is happening so it is difficult to say what is happening.

Easiest way after every shift put 10 minutes other work after every shift ,then put it on rest .When you put in your card next shift it will show rest to the time you put your card in .Dont stress yourself about manual entries.

Where do people come up with this idea of sticking it on rest before ejecting your card. It will only show that minute of whatever as rest on the card. You can set it to rest before you put your card in but again it will only show that minute of rest.

The only way to record a daily rest of the correct duration is by manually entering the daily rest period.

Sticking it on rest for a minute and entering the card on rest will not show the full duration of the daily rest on the card. The card has to be in the tacho to record that period as rest.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

stevieboy308:

Sidevalve:

edd1974:

True. But from bitter experience, when you insert your card bleary eyed the next morning, if it’s already on rest (which it should be if that’s how you left it the night before) it gives you less chance of screwing up the manual entry which, out of habit from my previous employer, I always complete.

I’m fully aware that others will say that this manual entry is a waste of time and that Tachomaster or whatever will put it down as assumed rest which is good enough. That’s as maybe; I was taught that by doing the manual entry between shifts because my card had to be out overnight I am making a declaration that I HAVE been on rest, instead of it being “assumed”. Which makes sense to me.

This practice also massively reduces the risk of me inadvertently leaving the card in on the wrong mode overnight and picking up an infringement.

Sidevalve:

stevieboy308:

Sidevalve:

edd1974:

True. But from bitter experience, when you insert your card bleary eyed the next morning, if it’s already on rest (which it should be if that’s how you left it the night before) it gives you less chance of screwing up the manual entry which, out of habit from my previous employer, I always complete.

I’m fully aware that others will say that this manual entry is a waste of time and that Tachomaster or whatever will put it down as assumed rest which is good enough. That’s as maybe; I was taught that by doing the manual entry between shifts because my card had to be out overnight I am making a declaration that I HAVE been on rest, instead of it being “assumed”. Which makes sense to me.

This practice also massively reduces the risk of me inadvertently leaving the card in on the wrong mode overnight and picking up an infringement.

I don’t see how taking it out or leaving it on rest makes any difference though, I always eject on other work, and insert, I always do a manual entry and default mode for the manual entry is rest, so I have to change it to other work for the time after my card was removed.

It changed probably about 6 months ago, previously you didn’t need to account for your rest period and it was assumed unless evidence to 5he contrary that the time the card was out was rest, all perfectly legal, but now that is no longer acceptable and you must record the rest period as rest, so either by leaving your card in (doing start / end country) or via a manual entry although I can’t see anyone getting busted for not doing it anytime soon!

stevieboy308:
I don’t see how taking it out or leaving it on rest makes any difference though

Something to do with Tachomaster I think. It has no legal effect but I was told by previous employer that leaving the card in overnight when on a night out threw a spanner in the works with said system, so I was told to adopt my current practice and I’ve stayed with it out of habit.

I had a few run-ins with the driver trainer because on two occasions I had finger trouble and managed to input other work when it should have been rest. You and I both know that it happens, and anyone with half a brain from DVSA will accept that it happens; but at that firm it ramped my score of sins up to near disciplinary level and higher-up management started getting involved.

That level of ■■■■ retention was one of the reasons I left ForFarmers. To this day, the word “compliance” sets my teeth on edge.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciated all for the advice. It appears the answer is for me to do a manual entry on my second shift!!!

this happened to me the other day. I managed to record the few minuettes at the end of the shift and begining of the next as rest and my daily rest as other work. office told me to do a print out and work out driving time etc from the print out ie if it thinks i had done 1h30 driving but i had only done 15 min then subtract 1h15 from the display and they would sort out any infringments.

someone said that the tacho assumes rest so the first mode is always rest when doing a manual entry can this be changed like which mode the tacho reverts to when you turn the engine off

Brido21:
Hi guys,

When this happens do a print out to check what’s going on

Might be relevant / might not but, IIRC, it may depend on how your digi tacho has been set by the calibrator / dealer (which can be changed by them on request)

Some trucks are set to default on rest when you turn the ignition off and some default to duty
So, if you set to your tacho to rest then turn key off, you need to check display, as it may jump back to duty causing problems
Have had that myself in the past

Skinto:
Some trucks are set to default on rest when you turn the ignition off and some default to duty

I don’t think that’s an available option.

Normally the current mode (Rest, Work or POA) will remain selected regardless of what he does with the ignition switch, but this behaviour can be modified so that it defaults to Rest on switch-off. It can also be modified so that it defaults to Work at switch-on. There is TTBOMK no option to default to Work at switch-off.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Skinto:

I don’t think that’s an available option.

Normally the current mode (Rest, Work or POA) will remain selected regardless of what he does with the ignition switch, but this behaviour can be modified so that it defaults to Rest on switch-off. It can also be modified so that it defaults to Work at switch-on. There is TTBOMK no option to default to Work at switch-off.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thats pretty much what I was trying to say, just using different words. Words aren’t my Forte, I admit.

Point is

Normally the current mode (Rest, Work or POA) will remain selected regardless of what he does with the ignition switch

You can’t rely on this being the case unless you have the same truck, you know hasn’t being tampered with
I worked at a place, where some numpty decided to get the default setting changed without consulting anyone or telling anyone, causing no end of infringements
Bottom line is there is no set in stone default setting when turning the key off - it could be a multitude of options, ask your calibrator

Seems I am mistaken. I had a look in the manual for the latest version of the DTCO tachograph and they can be set to default to any of the three non-driving modes (Rest, Work, POA) at power-off and at power on (or to remain unchanged).

Roymondo:
Seems I am mistaken. I had a look in the manual for the latest version of the DTCO tachograph and they can be set to default to any of the three non-driving modes (Rest, Work, POA) at power-off and at power on (or to remain unchanged).

Fair enough, mate
Thanks for confirming, will be useful info to all

We have one in our fleet that defaults to O/W when you turn the ignition on or off, it’s caught me out once or twice!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk