Digi card speed traces

can you get a speed trace off your digi card showing what you were actually doing .what time , date etc :question:
n.b should of put it with the other question but forgot

ady1:
can you get a speed trace off your digi card showing what you were actually doing .what time , date etc :question:

Not off the card no.

I don’t know too much about this, but I understand that the tachograph head holds a speed trace for the last 24 hours of use.

If you were in a Volvo, then the depot should be able to pull up a location/speed from the Dynafleet download (I think). :bulb:

Krankee:
If you were in a Volvo, then the depot should be able to pull up a location/speed from the Dynafleet download (I think). :bulb:

yes thats right Krankee its called a snail trail.They can do it going back months

Krankee:

yes it was in a volvo, asked today and was told after he tried to get one that it wasnt possible, said he could get all info like breaks, driving time etc , but nothing to show what speed i was actually doing ,
he said id have to ask for photographic evidence from the police to see what speed i was doiing , which seems a bit daft as its obviously going to say 37 m.p.h , i wanted to just see what the speed trace on the digi tacho showed , it may of showed 37 mph , but it would of been nice to see it on a speed trace in black and white

tasty:

Krankee:

yes thats right Krankee its called a snail trail.They can do it going back months

not according to our driver trainer you cant :confused: :confused: :confused: , maybe hes a good driver trainer but crap with digi tachos :wink:

Ady, the record is not on the tacho unit. It is (assuming what we both understand to be true) held in, and can be dowloaded from, the Dynafleet unit.

And, as it is ‘Personal Data’ pertaining to yourself, because, after all, you will have noticed (I presume) that when you insert your Driver Card, the Dynafleet Unit displays your name, then you can ‘hit’ them with a formal request under the D.P. Act.

Whether or not they are obliged to provide it in a ‘readable’ format, I’m unsure at this juncture, but if you specified the week in question, it would probably entail the felling of another forrest. :laughing: Alternatively, if the response was in C.D. format, you might have to hunt around for software that could read it. :sunglasses:

tachograph:

ady1:

Not off the card no.

I don’t know too much about this, but I understand that the tachograph head holds a speed trace for the last 24 hours of use.

I just did a download with the company card of my truck and I read the instructions on the speed while I was waiting. It seems like it holds the speed for that day and in the event of an accident stores the speeds for a minute each side of any impact or sudden braking. I would be interested in reading the info on this

I don’t think the running speed,as available on the analogue tacho is available, in the set up instructions for the unit fitted in my last MAN the only reference to speed was the fact that the machine can record time spent in speed bands, the bands to be set at the request of the operator. This means, I think, that the time in a speed band is available, but as the bands are 10 k wide ii.e records that you were travelling at between 70 and 80 kph at a specific time, not a lot of use in court. The sheer volume of data required to be stored for 12months in the unit would seem to stop the idea dead.

It sort of goes against the idea of a tachograph in that case as I was led to believe that it must record all [duty, correct time, distance travelled and speed]

tasty:

Krankee:

Its the first i’ve heard. I can’t remember wether it was the VU or the drivers card, but as i understand it, wichever one it is only carries the last 24 hours ‘speed trace’.

Couple of points; the driver card contains no reference to speed within its’ stored records other than ‘overspeeds’ that happened when the card was inserted in a VU.

The Vehicle Unit records speeds in whole Km/h for every second that the vehicle moves. However, this record is limited to 24 hours of vehicle movement in total (still some 86 000 individual speed readings). If the vehicle is parked up overnight, eg. 9 hours all those readings of of zero Km/h are ignored by the tacho and it will start recording speed again when the vehicle moves the following morning.

So was the whole purpose of the digi card to stop drivers using a tacho as evidence that they didn’t do a certain crime? :confused:

It does seem a somewhat retrograde step to move forward to a data storage system that can actually store less information than a bit of waxed paper.

Amazingly, I can carry a little card with me that can record 2 whole films and has much more memory than a digi-card, costs a ■■■■ site less as well, but then again, no government departments were involved in it’s design :laughing:

Don’t you just love progress

DoYouMeanMe?:
So was the whole purpose of the digi card to stop drivers using a tacho as evidence that they didn’t do a certain crime? :confused:

It does seem a somewhat retrograde step to move forward to a data storage system that can actually store less information than a bit of waxed paper.

Amazingly, I can carry a little card with me that can record 2 whole films and has much more memory than a digi-card, costs a ■■■■ site less as well, but then again,
no government departments were involved in it’s design :laughing:
Don’t you just love progress

and thats the story in a nutshell.

hate to throw a spanner in it but i have a speed tracefrom my dafs head and took it from a few weeks ago to show why i ran over my hours for a few minutes(m25 super big jam)

tim_smith:
Anyone who has actually got the VU data and needs it analysing can visit me at www.blatant_advert.com and send me details of your requirements. Page 3. Tim Smith

Not sure I would be trusting my tacho details to someone who can’t understand simple rules. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

DoYouMeanMe?:

I was told that you cannot use a tachograph as evidence for speeding …

think about it…

On monday the 11/10/99 you travel down the A12345 and get flashed by a camera

So tuesday your doing the exact same run but just happen to accidentaly forget to put the date on the chart :wink: and this time you watch your speed on the A12345 and do not get flashed

So then you put mondays date on the chart and use that as your evidence in court that you were a good boy on the monday and the camera was wery wery nawty

but you say “ah but now your a chart missing”

Not if you change mondays chart to tuesdays date (lets face it we’ve all written 11/10/99 and then written over the 1 with a 2 when we’ve suddenly realised its the 12th)

So for this reason you cannot use it in your defense but fortunately it cannot be used to prosecute you either (for speeding that is)

This is how it was explained to me if im wrong one of the law guru’s will be along shortly to shoot me down and ■■■■ on my bonfire… :wink:

Reef.

I think you’r right.
I also think you have a criminal mind. :laughing:

Reef:

DoYouMeanMe?:

think about it…

So tuesday your doing the exact same run but just happen to accidentaly forget to put the date on the chart :wink: and this time you watch your speed on the A12345 and do not get flashed

So then you put mondays date on the chart and use that as your evidence in court that you were a good boy on the monday and the camera was wery wery nawty

Not if you change mondays chart to tuesdays date (lets face it we’ve all written 11/10/99 and then written over the 1 with a 2 when we’ve suddenly realised its the 12th)

So for this reason you cannot use it in your defense but fortunately it cannot be used to prosecute you either (for speeding that is)

This is how it was explained to me if im wrong one of the law guru’s will be along shortly to shoot me down and ■■■■ on my bonfire… :wink:

You say that the tacho can’t be used to prosecute you for speeding so i just wondered how that is different for when VOSA inspect you charts and look into it further and notice you speed for the last 30 minutes of your journey (e.g. 56) back to base every day when infact their is no way legally possible you could reach 56 mph - i have heard they can nail you for it?!!!

Reef:

DoYouMeanMe?:

think about it…

You say that the tacho can’t be used to prosecute you for speeding so i just wondered how that is different for when VOSA inspect you charts and look into it further and notice you speed for the last 30 minutes of your journey (e.g. 56) back to base every day when infact their is no way legally possible you could reach 56 mph - i have heard they can nail you for it?!!!