Digi card in or out when out over night?

Hi, I am not sure what the correct or best practice is when staying out in your vehicle over night because everyone tells you something different. Do I pull my card out over night■■? Or do I leave my card in on break■■? I think leave it in but other drivers are telling me I’m meant to be pulling my card. Thanks for your help

It’s entirely up-to you, personally I’ve always ejected the card but some people like to leave it in.

It’s entirely up-to you.

You are supposed to leave it in, so it records your activity, i.e. the rest period. In the UK, the DVSA don’t seem to be too bothered about it, but even in the days of paper charts the French would kick up if you didn’t record your rest period. You certainly aren’t required to take it out overnight, so to be honest why bother? When I ran my own truck, the card came out once every four weeks for the download, and that was it.

Leave it in,saves wear and tear on you card and the tacho (and your finger :wink: )

Depends where i am and what im doing the next morning. If ive got to shunt some trailers around to get mine out if at the base in Malaga for instance ill leave the card out until hitched up and ready to roll…

I leave mine in after ending duty and then start duty again in the morning, never had any problems.

A.

As Harry says a paper chart left in can show a clean trace to please a fussy official. Digi card doesn’t seem to matter. I now pop mine out to remind me to enter country start and finish place daily. Paid a fine for not doing that a few years ago.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

When using a paper chart I used to record rest periods on the back of the chart no need to leave it in at all.
As for now I eject every time.

Franglais:
I now pop mine out to remind me to enter country start and finish place daily. Paid a fine for not doing that a few years ago.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Another reason for leaving it out, ive often gone from Spain into France and forgotten about it…

Always take mine out now days kept forgetting to change the mode to rest at the end of a shift :blush:

You could take it out and then input your rest the next morning or at the start of your next shift via manual entry or just put it on rest and leave it in. Your call really.

So if I leave my card in all week in a stoneridge how do you book off and on, I found out how to do it on the other popular make but not these, is it just a case of going into places then choose either end place and begin place and press ok?

weeto:
So if I leave my card in all week in a stoneridge how do you book off and on, I found out how to do it on the other popular make but not these, is it just a case of going into places then choose either end place and begin place and press ok?

se5000.com/documentation.html
Click on the simulator for your model and try it out. Doesn`t matter if you ■■■■ it up on a simulator.

Adonis.:
I leave mine in after ending duty and then start duty again in the morning, never had any problems.

A.

That ^^^^ is the correct way to do it. Following the letter of the law you should (as Adonis states) correctly end and start your duty manually. We all know in the real world however that merely putting it on bed or completely removing the card will not in this country anyway get you into any trouble.

I leave mine in though even though Co policy is to remove them due to the large numbers of muppets we have who sometimes leave them on other work all night.

I always tell my drivers to remove the card and place it in a special place :wink: :wink: had too many drivers leave the card in and forget to update the system.

Take it out, in case the shunter needs to move it while you’re at home

Leave mine in to soak but would take it out if I had one of them dodgy tachos that change mode to other work when ignition is switched off.

We have a few in our fleet and I have informed my employer these are in my opinion illegal and interfere with the drivers legal obligation to select the correct mode for the duties they are performing. They should be corrected asap.

However like most things I tell them they looked all confused and took no notice.

Dipper_Dave:
Leave mine in to soak but would take it out if I had one of them dodgy tachos that change mode to other work when ignition is switched off.

We have a few in our fleet and I have informed my employer these are in my opinion illegal and interfere with the drivers legal obligation to select the correct mode for the duties they are performing. They should be corrected asap.

However like most things I tell them they looked all confused and took no notice.

We had an Iveco like that. If on break, and ign switched on to open/close windows etc it went onto duty. Simple fix at dealers when in for service.
You do need dealers/office staff etc with ears and the ability to listen tho. It seems that when employers want office staff with “communication skills” they mean the ability to issue instructions without listening to drivers.
Im surprised you havent bit at Dave Minion`s post about “special places” ?

Franglais:

Dipper_Dave:

We had an Iveco like that. If on break, and ign switched on to open/close windows etc it went onto duty. Simple fix at dealers when in for service.
You do need dealers/office staff etc with ears and the ability to listen tho. It seems that when employers want office staff with “communication skills” they mean the ability to issue instructions without listening to drivers.
Im surprised you havent bit at Dave Minion`s post about “special places” ?

Bear with me :wink:

DaveTheMinion:
I always tell my drivers to remove the card and place it in a special place :wink: :wink: had too many drivers leave the card in and forget to update the system.

I’m picturing your drivers sitting in your office after yet another Tacho infringement holding a teddy bear pointing at that special place where their card was stored.

I’d love to work for a boss with a sense of humour or even an old school one like back in the day.

If my first gaffer was asked what should I do with my card he would reply along the lines of: “Shove it up your arse for all I care it’s your name on it. Oh and stop masterbating on company premises”.